The Traveller's Reference is an easy to use guide to provide you with information about the current zone you're in, and pointers to other places you could go. This mod is also a DataBroker plugin, which means there are many ways in which you can display this information (see the section below for DataBroker information).
Here's the bulleted feature list.
The information display (see screenshot):
- Shows the zone you're currently in and the level-range of that zone is shown.
- The display style can be toggled between two modes via alt + click.
- Long display: Shows the zone, sub-zone in brackets, then the level-range.
- Short display: Shows the sub-zone if present, otherwise the zone, then the level-range.
- Shift + clicking the display will toggle showing the range.
- Control + clicking the display toggles plugin-dragging mode*.
- Clicking the display opens/closes the World Map.
* When in this mode, the tooltip is mode small and most click based operations are disabled. This is in order to make the plugin easier to drag into position.
The tooltip (see screenshot):
- A list of neighbouring zones (zones that border the one you're currently in).
- A list of instances within your level-range.
- A list of zones within your level-range.
- The level-ranges are colour-coded so they can be easily recognised at a glance.
- Holding shift makes the tooltip small, for ease of movement.
I'd like to thank Beoko, I helped work on his Navigator plugin and I learned a lot from doing so, some of that is present in The Traveller's Reference. Navigator was instrumental in helping me set foot down the road of DataBroker plugin creation in general, too. So really, kudos to him. Check out his Navigator mod!
What is DataBroker?
DataBroker is part of a system that's similar to FuBar and its plugins, what you have here is a plugin but you'll also need something to display the output of the plugin. You have many options for this, and I've listed a number of them below for your perusal, just pick the one that interests you the most.
If you want further information, that nice feller tekkub has put together some information on his wiki. And it's good information too, information that you should probably read if you're just getting into DataBroker plugins. (Not to mention that poor old tek puts these pages together and not many people seem to read them, so I thought I'd do my part to help remedy that situation. )
- Previously, for areas that didn't require a level range (such as a city), The Traveller's Reference would report 0-0 as the range. This has been changed. It now reports 1-70 as the range, which is more apt (and 1-80 in Wrath).
- The colour has been removed from the toc name, as this caused issues with alphabetical categorisation.
- I've got a new direction with the tooltips, it took me a while to decide on this. It was discussed with a few people too and it was generally and mutually decided that the new direction I'm taking them in is better. So this is the New Unification of Tooltip Styles for my plugins. NUTS v1! I'm pretty much going to model all my DataBroker plugins after this layout, to try to keep them as easy to understand at a glance as possible. The basic idea is: Keybinds at the bottom, the most important information at the top, and all the straggler-lines cushioned in the middle. Credit where credit is due, too; this all started because of a suggestion by Nyte, so kudos for Nyte for giving me reason to think about all this! This is far too long for a changelog update, I know... but necessary!
- I've corrected the toc-version, I am scared and confused by toc-versions.
- Redid the tooltip a little, the line explaining what the columns are has been removed (it was redundant anyway and looked out of place), and the line stating what the level range of the current zone is has been moved below the keybinds.
- Shift + Click will now toggle showing the range on the information display.
- Control + Click will toggle plugin-dragging mode, which makes the tooltip much smaller and disables most click-based functionality in order to make the plugin easier to drag.
- A new settings system is in place, so your setting for the zone/sub-zone display style will be lost, sorry. No further changes of this type should be necessary though, I'd hope.
- I realised the first square bracket was misbehaving with its colour too. Bugger. Fixed that aswell.
- Fixed the last bracket in the information display being oddly coloured. Thanks to OttoDeFe for the heads-up.