I can't believe there is no addon for this yet (at least I can't find one, neither here nor on Curse)
Will It Mog? displays whether a weapon or armor piece of appropriate slot can be transmogrified, or be used as a source for transmogrification in the item's tooltip.
Only items that are uncommon (green) or better have the info always displayed, there are certain white items that can be used to transmogrify other items, but most are miscellaneous anyway (incompatible with Cloth/Leather/Mail/Plate)
By default, the addon will display short colored indicators, first value is whether you can transmogrify the item, second is whether you can use it to transmogrify another item.
Verbose mode, enabled with
/run WillItMog.verbose = true
will attempt to use game data to 'translate' the reasons that are given when an item can not be transmogrified or used as a source, otherwise it gives the error code, which should be precise as well (e.g. "NO_STATS")
As this is the only "option" at the moment, I don't bother with an options menu of some sort, but if you have ideas for options, please mention them. Note:When you use links from Wowhead or other DB sites for an item that can have random enchantments, the tooltip will wrongly state that it is not transmogrifyable. While this is technically true for the 'empty' item, every version of this item you can get in the game will have a random enchantment, and thus stats, and thus is transmogrifyable both ways.
Should work in all locales, but no guarantee for non-English ones, let me know if there are problems.
Speaking of problems, is the title too close to something copyrighted by BlendTec?
- .toc bump
- Offhand items got the "miscellaneous" notice - they are technically in that category, but for transmog's sake their armor ;)
- instead of whitelisting only certain white items, let's check whether they're moggable first, and then decide whether to display mog info. Let's hook all corresponding items without even knowing them :)
- similar with miscellaneous items, along with a warning that they're incompatible to normal armor.
- use LibTipHooker to hook several addon-generated tooltips, most importantly AtlasLoot's
- properly recognize offhands
- 2 more white moggable items, thanks Ashelia from Wowhead
- be more careful about itemlinks, just because we're called on a tooltip doesn't mean the item is cached yet
- also, read the Note about items with random enchantments in the Description tab of this page
0.3 - "right, I wanted to upload this":
-whitelist certain white items
- 'handle' placeholders in error messages
- corrected slot filter: head, not neck >_<
- only check for uncommon or better items
- Note to self: be more careful about conditions when coding in the night.
- Should not display on non-armor/weapon tooltips anymore