ChatEdit is another complicated mod to do something simple: allow you to select your chat text for copying. Simply shift-click a chat frame to enter 'edit mode'.
Edit mode is basically an editbox in which the text won't let you change it. The editbox directly overlaps the chat frame and is scrollable and resizable by the normal methods, as well as a scroll bar that pops up to the right. To make copying less painful no text will be added to the editbox while in edit mode, but it will appear in the chat frame when you leave edit mode.
To exit edit mode click anywhere on the WorldFrame or hit escape.
ChatEdit also increases the default chat frame memory from 128 lines to 500.
Note: For reasons of auto-line wrapping and non-standard width fonts it is nearly impossible to figure out what scroll position the chat frame is at. For this reason when you enter edit mode it will always scroll down to the bottom. Also be aware that the editbox has smooth scrolling as opposed to the chat frame's line by line scrolling.
Note: Thankfully the text string length editbox bug was fixed in a past WoW patch. If you ever run into a repeatable case where the selectable text is empty, let me know!
-Disabled color debug (oops!)
-Updated to work with the new chat system and Cataclysm changes
-Replaced 'this' usage with 'self'
-Replaced getglobal() with _G
-Replaced MouseIsOver(frame) with frame:IsMouseOver()
-Fixed auto-scroll up and down when selecting text now that the old resize top/bottom bars were removed
-Fixed update reversion (so you can't change the text, only select it)
-Now starts storing chat messages as soon as the addon loads instead of waiting until PLAYER_ENTERING_WORLD required by the old chat system
-Added support for copying from the combat log which populates in reverse
-Added support to update the editable text when Clear and SetMaxLines are called on the chat frame
- Updated toc to 30100
- Updated toc to 30000
- Updated toc to 20400
- No longer uses Sea or SeaHooks
- Fixed recording of numbers passed to AddMessage
- Updated toc to 20300
- Updated SetScrollFromBottom to SetScrollOffset
- Selectable chat text is no longer trailed by two empty lines
- Selectable chat now has the correct scroll bounds and is scrolled to the bottom every time it's shown
- Auto-scroll now only triggers when highlighting text
- Showing selectable chat is now over twice as fast
- Updated toc metadata
- Uses SeaHooks v1.3
- Enabled editbox auto-focus.
- Added auto-scrolling hot zones at the top and bottom of the chat frame when you are selecting text.
- Uses SeaHooks v0.9