Download
(2 Kb)
Download
Updated: 06-15-08 04:11 PM
Pictures
File Info
Updated:06-15-08 04:11 PM
Created:unknown
Downloads:2,371
Favorites:11
MD5:
beSch
Version: 0007
by: Infineon [More]
beSch is a Restoration Shaman addon which tracks your watershield and earthshield in a minimalistic way.

You get 2 Numbers and a Name thats all.
Left number and name belong to your earthshield and the current, and last, target on which earthshield was active.
The right number is your watershield count.

The addon is currently tracking the 2.4 combatlog events to retrieve information. There is no scanning of your or the earthshield targets aura.

The configuration needs to be done via LUA editing!
You there can set colors, font settings, position and so on.
Also Chat or Audio notification is implemented and can be configured in the core.lua

For any ideas, help or error reports thanks in advance!

Greetings
Beherit <VII Guild>

Check out my other addons:
* beTor
* beBufff
- 0007 / 080616 -
* added a timeout of 0.5 seconds in which after a succesfull cast the fade event wont be recognized. this fixes the annoying "direct fade after cast" bug which is resulted by combatlog events

- 0006.1 / 080523 -
* damn missed the file :)

- 0006 / 080523 -
* added UNIT_DIED event which now resets the counter for earth- and watershield on your oder your estargets death


- 0005 / 080424 -
* completely removed the debug code, hopefully i wont need it anymore
* added a recolor of the name if the earthshield on your estarget is recasted by another shaman


- 0003 / 080423 -
* added vars for the frame size and small infotext for that
* added option to set different sound for earth- / watershield
* removed unused event hooks

- 0002 / 080423 -
* debugging set to false, sorry
Optional Files (0)


Post A Reply Comment Options
Unread 04-23-08, 01:26 PM  
Infineon
A Kobold Labourer
AddOn Author - Click to view AddOns

Forum posts: 0
File comments: 9
Uploads: 3
First

So hope you enjoy this little thing.
It made me do "NEVER FORGET" my damn watershield.

Feel free to post comments with your wishes or hints.

Greets
Infineon is offline Report comment to moderator  
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-08, 11:13 AM  
Infineon
A Kobold Labourer
AddOn Author - Click to view AddOns

Forum posts: 0
File comments: 9
Uploads: 3
Sometimes there are strange problems with this combat log mechanic.
It can happen that the shield counter instantly resets to zero after cast.
This can happen because of the combat log events which aren't always in the order as i thought they should be.

I will probably edit this in the next days...
Infineon is offline Report comment to moderator  
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-08, 08:49 PM  
Phanx
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
Phanx's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view AddOns

Forum posts: 4136
File comments: 1939
Uploads: 39
Great addon, I love it!

In addition to the issue you mentioned below with events being out of order, I've noticed that it doesn't reset charges to zero when the person the shield is on dies, whether it's Water Shield on me or Earth Shield on whoever.

Edit: Also just noticed that when zoning in/out of an instance, Earth Shield is removed, but there doesn't seem to be a combat log message indicating this.
Last edited by Phanx : 05-03-08 at 08:07 PM.
Phanx is offline Report comment to moderator  
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-08, 05:54 AM  
Infineon
A Kobold Labourer
AddOn Author - Click to view AddOns

Forum posts: 0
File comments: 9
Uploads: 3
Originally posted by Phanx
Great addon, I love it!

In addition to the issue you mentioned below with events being out of order, I've noticed that it doesn't reset charges to zero when the person the shield is on dies, whether it's Water Shield on me or Earth Shield on whoever.

Edit: Also just noticed that when zoning in/out of an instance, Earth Shield is removed, but there doesn't seem to be a combat log message indicating this.
Hi there and thanks.
So the reason for not restting on unit death is that i currently dont catch the event. As far as i know the combatlog is also currently not sending this event correctly so there i no reason to track this at the current state. If i am wrong or also if this will get changed in 2.4.2 this will be directly in the code.

The Zoning reset happens cause in the "PLAYER_LOGIN" event the reset of the addon is called. This also happens cause if your in a different zone then your es target you wont see any messages from him in the combatlog. So the counter can get wrong.
Infineon is offline Report comment to moderator  
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-08, 11:25 AM  
tiana
A Defias Bandit

Forum posts: 1
File comments: 47
Uploads: 1
great addon indeed, had to tinker a bit myself with fonts and such to get it to my liking but the basecode was awesome dude, great job indeed.
as you yourself mentioned there are some problems with the counter resetting itself right after casting.
tiana is offline Report comment to moderator  
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-08, 10:32 AM  
Infineon
A Kobold Labourer
AddOn Author - Click to view AddOns

Forum posts: 0
File comments: 9
Uploads: 3
Yeah those reset problems are happening cause of the combat log "order" of some events.
I am currently playing with the latest version of beSch and "i am accepting" those problems cause they happen not too often and otherwise i would need to recode the addon to check buffs with unit aura and that would have other disadvantages.

Thanks for your comment!
Infineon is offline Report comment to moderator  
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-08, 04:46 PM  
Phanx
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
Phanx's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view AddOns

Forum posts: 4136
File comments: 1939
Uploads: 39
Well, I've modified my local copy to fix the extremely annoying bug where the addon thinks Water Shield is cancelled when I recast it before it expires. I tend to refresh my Water Shield before entering combat, regardless of how much time or how many charges are left, and the combat log likes to screw up the message order.

The solution I'm using is to record the time on the "gained" message, and when the "lost" message is seen, I check the time; if it's been less than 0.25 seconds since I gained Water Shield, I assume that the combat log is wrong, and don't cancel the tracked Water Shield.

PvPers who use Water Shield in arenas may occasionally see it dispelled off within 0.25 seconds of casting it, but for PvE this number is fine and gives a safety margin to account for latency or plain old combat log bugginess.

You're welcome to adapt this solution for the official version.

Edit: UNIT_DIED is (according to Slouken) fixed in 2.4.2. I'll try to verify this tonight.
Last edited by Phanx : 05-22-08 at 04:54 PM.
Phanx is offline Report comment to moderator  
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-08, 07:06 PM  
tiana
A Defias Bandit

Forum posts: 1
File comments: 47
Uploads: 1
Originally posted by Phanx
Well, I've modified my local copy to fix the extremely annoying bug where the addon thinks Water Shield is cancelled when I recast it before it expires. I tend to refresh my Water Shield before entering combat, regardless of how much time or how many charges are left, and the combat log likes to screw up the message order.

The solution I'm using is to record the time on the "gained" message, and when the "lost" message is seen, I check the time; if it's been less than 0.25 seconds since I gained Water Shield, I assume that the combat log is wrong, and don't cancel the tracked Water Shield.

PvPers who use Water Shield in arenas may occasionally see it dispelled off within 0.25 seconds of casting it, but for PvE this number is fine and gives a safety margin to account for latency or plain old combat log bugginess.

You're welcome to adapt this solution for the official version.

Edit: UNIT_DIED is (according to Slouken) fixed in 2.4.2. I'll try to verify this tonight.
if its not fixed, feel like sharing your solution ?
tiana is offline Report comment to moderator  
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-08, 03:45 AM  
Infineon
A Kobold Labourer
AddOn Author - Click to view AddOns

Forum posts: 0
File comments: 9
Uploads: 3
So i will also check the Unit_Died thing and if its working i will add the resest of the counters.

The current problem with the not wanted reset of the counter is not that problematic on watershield cause this really costs 0 mana. I don't care recasting it.
The problem gets interesting on earthshield cause it is costing mana and a recast is not the thing i want to fix my timer.

Your solution of setting a timeout would be a fix, but also isn't that nice.
There are 2 ways in my mind that could solve things:

1. Recode counting
Currently counting of es and ws is working with the listening to the SPELL_ENERGIZE and SPELL_HEAL events.
If i would recode this to again work with the old "UNIT_AURA" event so that the Buff is checked while active on the target i would always have an accurate counter and the reset problems should be blown away.
Problem here would be that this only works on: player,target,focus,party,raid

2. Try to fix with current combatlog mechanic

Phanx i would like to work with your ideas and improve this addon to work better.
Infineon is offline Report comment to moderator  
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-08, 10:38 AM  
Infineon
A Kobold Labourer
AddOn Author - Click to view AddOns

Forum posts: 0
File comments: 9
Uploads: 3
So unit_died is working and added in version 0006...
Thanks for telling me that its working since 2.4.2 i forgot it
Infineon is offline Report comment to moderator  
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-08, 12:35 PM  
joshwill80
A Murloc Raider

Forum posts: 5
File comments: 144
Uploads: 0
Saved Variables

Great addon Infineon! Something I would like to see, but can live without, is writing the settings to a saved variables file. Would help keep settings from getting overwritten every time I update via an updater.

And I know you are trying to keep this addon simple, but if you ever do make a small gui for it, hooking into SharedMedia would work really well for fonts, sounds, etc.

Also, why not make the frame draggable by ctrl-left dragging or something similar?

Thanks again!
Last edited by joshwill80 : 05-23-08 at 12:37 PM.
joshwill80 is offline Report comment to moderator  
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-08, 02:05 PM  
tiana
A Defias Bandit

Forum posts: 1
File comments: 47
Uploads: 1
Re: Saved Variables

Originally posted by joshwill80
Great addon Infineon! Something I would like to see, but can live without, is writing the settings to a saved variables file. Would help keep settings from getting overwritten every time I update via an updater.

And I know you are trying to keep this addon simple, but if you ever do make a small gui for it, hooking into SharedMedia would work really well for fonts, sounds, etc.

Also, why not make the frame draggable by ctrl-left dragging or something similar?

Thanks again!
the whole idea is to make it lightweight and not include unnecessary code.
changing font is easy enoughl by simply editing core.lua and same goes for moving the text.
tiana is offline Report comment to moderator  
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-08, 03:09 PM  
joshwill80
A Murloc Raider

Forum posts: 5
File comments: 144
Uploads: 0
Re: Re: Saved Variables

Originally posted by tiana
the whole idea is to make it lightweight and not include unnecessary code.
changing font is easy enoughl by simply editing core.lua and same goes for moving the text.
Yeah, I like how simple this is too. I was not requesting a gui, just saying SharedMedia would work well if there ever was one. Output to combat texts with SinkLib would also be a possibility. Just some ideas, if author decides to keep it as simple as possible, fine with me.

I am happy with the addon as is. Though I would like to be able to drag the frame rather than having to edit lua, reload, edit lua, reload...I don't think making the frame draggable would cause unnecessary bloat. Really, a draggable frame and saving settings to SV is all I would like to see added right now.

I'm just happy to have found a much simpler addon than ShamanFriend (did way more than I needed) that tracks both shields.
joshwill80 is offline Report comment to moderator  
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-08, 03:13 PM  
tiana
A Defias Bandit

Forum posts: 1
File comments: 47
Uploads: 1
Re: Re: Re: Saved Variables

Originally posted by joshwill80
Yeah, I like how simple this is too. I was not requesting a gui, just saying SharedMedia would work well if there ever was one. Output to combat texts with SinkLib would also be a possibility. Just some ideas, if author decides to keep it as simple as possible, fine with me.

I am happy with the addon as is. Though I would like to be able to drag the frame rather than having to edit lua, reload, edit lua, reload...I don't think making the frame draggable would cause unnecessary bloat. Really, a draggable frame and saving settings to SV is all I would like to see added right now.

I'm just happy to have found a much simpler addon than ShamanFriend (did way more than I needed) that tracks both shields.
tbh i cant see the need myself to add an output to combat text. in my current setup i cant really miss if my ws drops or my ES target runs out of charges

tiana is offline Report comment to moderator  
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-08, 06:57 PM  
Phanx
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
Phanx's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view AddOns

Forum posts: 4136
File comments: 1939
Uploads: 39
Originally posted by Infineon
The current problem with the not wanted reset of the counter is not that problematic on watershield cause this really costs 0 mana. I don't care recasting it.
I wouldn't care either if I simply had to recast it a second time to get the counter correct. The problem is that 99% of the time the combat events are fired in the wrong order, so unless I click off Water Shield or wait for it to expire before I recast it, I will never ever see anything but a big red zero for the Water Shield counter. This is a huge problem, as Water Shield is critical for sustaining my mana in the healing-intensive fights in Sunwell, and I need to be able to tell when it's up and when I need to recast it.

1. Recode counting
Currently counting of es and ws is working with the listening to the SPELL_ENERGIZE and SPELL_HEAL events.
If i would recode this to again work with the old "UNIT_AURA" event so that the Buff is checked while active on the target i would always have an accurate counter and the reset problems should be blown away.
Problem here would be that this only works on: player,target,focus,party,raid
It's also far less efficient to scan through 24 buffs every time an aura is updated. In raid combat, auras are constantly changing; UNIT_AURA is fired every time a buff OR debuff is gained or lost, including stacking debuffs and short duration buffs like hunters' Ferocious Inspiration. As well, if you use UNIT_AURA, you have to do an additional UnitName API call every time the event is fired. This event can fire many many times per second, leading to a tremendous waste of CPU.

It's much cleaner and faster to simply add an additional local variable to store the timestamp that's already passed as the first argument to the COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED event. As the timestamps are only compared when you see the specific "aura removed" message you're already looking for, there's very little CPU overhead.
Phanx is offline Report comment to moderator  
Reply With Quote
Post A Reply



Category Jump: