There's now a sister-mod to Peek named Peek Alias, the relationship between Peek and Peek Alias is that the people who need to dispense information (likely a guild/raid or such) will have Peek enabled, and the leader will have Peek Alias. So the two mods bounce off each other well.
What's this? It sounds voyeuristic.
Oh it is, to a degree.
Peek allows you to send information about yourself at another's behest, and if they have Peek installed then you can get information about you. Peek acts as a server for dispensing any kind of information someone could require (almost), and it really is at its best when used in a guild.
Peek works by watching for its own codeword, and then an information request, then it dispenses the information requested.
Another situation could be in a raid, the leader might want to know who'd need the helm that Onyxia just dropped, the leader could:
And you'd reply:
<Peek> Head: [Absolutely Dashing Toupée of the Aged Action-Star]
...or something like that.
Sounds interesting, tell me more!
Okay! Peek can also handle quest information, it can scan bags for item counts, it can check any and all equipped items, it can reply with combat rating information, and more's being added all the time! If you feel something needs to be peeked, let me know and I'll try and get it in.
What can it do right now?
I'm glad you asked! Here's the list ...
- list: Calls the following list in-game!
- amount-[item name] (andbank, optionally): Item count for item name.
- objectives-[Quest Name]: Printout of progress on objectives for that quest.
- reputation-[Faction Name]: Returns the faction reputation status.
- durability: Averaged durability across all equipped items as a per centage.
- maxhealth: Your maximum health as a number.
- maxpower: Your maximum mana/energy/rage as a number.
- health: Your current health as a per centage.
- mana: Your current mana/energy/rage as a per centage.
- crweapon: Weapon Skill (CR)
- crdefense: Defense Skill (CR)
- crdodge: Dodge (CR)
- crparry: Parry (CR)
- crblock: Block (CR)
- crmeleehit: Melee Hit (CR)
- crrangedhit: Ranged Hit (CR)
- crspellhit: Spell Hit (CR)
- crmeleecrit: Melee Critical (CR)
- crrangedcrit: Ranged Critical (CR)
- crspellcrit: Spell Critical (CR)
- crmeleetakenhit: Melee Hits Taken (CR)
- crrangedtakenhit: Ranged Hits Taken (CR)
- crspelltakenhit: Spell Hits Taken (CR)
- crmeleetakencrit: Melee Crits Taken (CR)
- crrangedtakencrit: Ranged Crits Taken (CR)
- crspelltakencrit: Spell Crits Taken (CR)
- crmeleehaste: Melee Haste (CR)
- crrangedhaste: Ranged Haste (CR)
- crspellhaste: Spell Haste (CR)
- crmainhand: Mainhand Weapon Skill (CR)
- croffhand: Offhand Weapon Skill (CR)
- crranged: Ranged Weapon Skill (CR)
- crexpertise: Expertise (CR)
- head: Helmet.
- neck: Necklace or other similar piece of armour.
- shoulders: Shoulder-pads, spaulders, et cetera...
- back: Cape.
- torso: Chest armour.
- shirt: Fancy non-armour shirt.
- tabard: Self-explanatory.
- wrists: Bracers.
- hands: Gloves, Gauntlets, et cetera.
- waist: Belt.
- legs: Leggings of all sorts.
- feet: Boots and shoes of all kinds.
- fingera: Ring on finger #1.
- fingerb: Ring on finger #2.
- trinketa: Trinket #1.
- trinketb: Trinket #2.
- mainhand: Main-hand held weapon.
- offhand: Off-hand held weapon/combat-item.
- ranged: Equipped gun/throwing.
- ammo: Type of ammo and amount.
- baga: Bag #1's bag type.
- bagb: Bag #2's bag type.
- bagc: Bag #3's bag type.
- bagd: Bag #4's bag type.
- xp: Current experience (per centage).
- restedxp: Rested experience (per centage).
- money: Print out of current amount of money.
This amount/objectives stuff, could you explain it more?
Ceratinly, let's cover amount first.
The syntax is: amount-[item name] (andbank, optionally)
- Amount is just the keyword to get the information.
- Item Name is the name of the item, you can type this (providing you apply the brackets) and you can use any case (all's good as long as the spelling's right). You can also supply an item link.
- Andbank basically implies that the bank should be counted too, you can supply the andbank operator if you wish the player's bank contents to be counted too.
Here's an example:
!peek amount-[mageroyal] andbank
This would return:
<Peek> Amount: 32
Next let's cover objectives...
The syntax is: objectives-[Quest Name]
- Objectives is just the keyword to get the information.
- Quest Name is the name of the quest, it can be typed but only if you add the brackets and type the quest in exact case (unlike amount, it can't be done in all lower-case due to restrictions in the quest API). The quest name can also be a link.
Any other settings or fiddlywidgets I should be aware of?
If you don't want to see your own output from Peek (what you send after a Peek request), then you can delete the showoutput = true line in Peek.lua, that'll force Peek to suppress your own output text. So if that line is deleted and someone does '!peek xp', you won't see the '<Peek> XP: 32.19%' line.
If you want to block Peek from scanning a channel, there are a few lines at the top of Peek.lua you can delete, this is commented in the file so it's easy to understand. Just crack open Peek.lua in notepad and if, say, you wanted to stop it from parsing party chat, then delete the appropriate line.
Peek has a blacklist, too! Open up PeekIgnore.lua in a text editor and you'll see how that works, it's been fully commented with detailed instructions as to how it works. So if you want to stop folks from snooping around in your bags or the like... well, now you can! Now people can only peek what you let them peek.
I know I could add a GUI for these options, but that'd mean embedding libraries, using a GUI, having a SavedVariables database, and so on, and so on... and that'd be really taking away from the vision of what Peek is, wouldn't it? So I'm staying away from that. I accept that the users of Peek are going to be an intelligent niche of the community anyway to want to use a text-based transmission system instead of a GUI, so I don't think that this method of handling options/blacklisting would be hard for you ladies and gents at all.
So that's all, then?
Yup, that's what Peek does. It's designed to be an incredibly slim and lean transmission medium for information that friends/parties/raids/guilds would need in-game, but without any bloat or hidden channel-spam. Peek is what you see, nothing more, nothing less.
Any plans for the future?
I'd like to get in the ability to check whether players know certain recipes, but aside from that I'm pretty much almost done!
(No file updates this time, just an update to the front page text to cover the showoutput feature, which I forgot to detail.)
revision310508c (I'm a dunce): Note to self - Bad Esha, bad. No uploading mods at 4AM, when you do that you upload the wrong files. After you upload the wrong files, you get very confused about filesizes and make embarrasing posts about that. At least the code is good. Note to Otto - Thank you! I almost missed that... Gordon Bennett!
revision310508b: This shall be henceforth known as 'The Options Release'... or something. In this release I've (officially) included the options to filter out parsing of party/guild/raid/whisper channels, and I've included a blacklist so that you can select which peek items should be peekable, and which should not.
revision310508: Got rep in there! So you can now reputation-[Timbermaw Hold] to see how your guild/party/friend is doing, and such!
revision300508b: XP and rested XP weren't showing as I wanted them to, they were showing in the format of "xx%" instead of "xx.xx%". I've also included armour ratings, which shows in the form of 'effective armour (base armour)', and finally I've removed some archaic function calls (as they didn't need to be there, they were slowing the process).
revision300508: Got in durability, maxhealth, maxpower, health (current), and power (current). More to come! Didn't have much more time to code... or type right now!
revision260508e: Bit of a bugfix/cleanup release, this. I've cleaned up the in-game list slightly so it looks a little bit nicer. I've fixed the issue where even if a person has the output set to hidden, it would still show the 'list incoming' line. And ifnally I've changed the CR returns so that they read better, for example: 2.39 versus 2.392743326 or however long it might otherwise be.
revision260508d: Objectives wasn't working correctly, and apparently it requires exact case. Part of my confusion was that the GetQuestLogIndexByName function requires two spaces before the quest name. I had one space but not the other. I mean... really though, what's Blizz smoking? GetQuestLogIndexByName("[space][space]Quest Name")?! Geez, guys... this is almost as bad as many of the sound files PlaySound can call being named Oepn instead of Open.
revision260508c: Peek can now report on quest objectives status and stuff, there's been a big code clean up too. Some bugfixes, some reversions, some new features, et cetera.
revision260508b: Peek can now report on inventory item counts, yay! Now if only I could figure out all the sticky little details of recipe scanning, once I've got that in my original vision of Peek will be complete.
revision260508: Got the feature in that DarkKnight asked for. That was a good call, dude. Really hadn't considered that, fool of a Took that I am. ...and now I'ma head t'bed.
revision240508f: Okay, had to do this one. This is an emergency update. I overlooked something in the last version, an error in a logic-gate, which could lead to spamming and complete breakage of Peek. Godammit. So, yeah... important update. Whoops.
revision240508e: Last one today! It has to be... because the next (and hopefully last) step of Peek's evolution is going to be something I'll have to sit down and plan out, that'll take time. Anyway, today's update is as the description dictates, it allows Peek to work with party, raid, and guild, as opposed to just whisper.
revision240508d: Smeg it. I give up. I'll never go a day without uploading and then having an idea. It's my curse (and that of those who have to validate these updates, I feel bad for them). Anyway, new update as the main page describes, wherein talent tables can be transferred over great distances! I was just thinking to myself that Peek is turning into a fully fledged examiner, almost. The only thing it didn't have was talent tables, really. I was a bit down about that, I thought... well, I couldn't do that, now could I? Moments later it came to me just how I could pull that off. Blast it.
revision240508c: Why, why... do I only get ideas after just having uploaded a few minutes ago? >< Gaw! Well, this update slims Peek down quite a bit, I'm quite pleased by it in fact. It removes the need for Peek to create its own frame and removes the registered event, too. This is a much less cumbersome approach, making this the best version of Peek yet... I think.
revision240508b: Code-cleanup. A couple of bits of archaic code were driving me a little nuts.
revision240508: The ability to get a list readout added and lotsa CR stat thingies are now peekable.