What are the most popular phrases in WoW? The ones that every raid leader screams over and over again? (nope, it's not "More DoTs!") It's got to be "Big heals on tank!" or "Don't Stand in the Fire!" or "All DPS on Boss!". Originally Megaphone collected together 14 of the most popular raid leader phrases into one easy to use addon. With the current release of Megaphone you can create your own buttons and messages, use multiple chat channels, use dynamic variables, insert hyperlinks and bind a button to a keystroke! Megaphone is more powerful and customizable than ever!
Take heart mighty raid leaders! No more screaming, no more typos, no more missed heals because some PUG needs a clue. With Megaphone you set up your favorite phrases and click away. The heat of battle you lose valuable time typing hints and tips!
The Button Palette and Button Editor
The Megaphone button palette contains 3 pages of buttons. You can edit all the buttons, add more buttons, or delete them by unchecking the "Locked" checkbox at the top of the button palette. When the button palette is unlocked you click a button to bring up the button editor. Each button has a label, up to 4 lines of message text, and up to six target chat channels.
To hide the button palette click the close box on the top-right. If the mini map button is visible you can show or hide the button palette by clicking it.
The Arrow Buttons
You change button palette pages by click the arrow buttons on the bottom-left and right.
The Preferences Editor
To change the appearance and behavior of Megaphone use the Preferences Editor by clicking on the Megaphone icon at the top-left of the button palette. You can change the transparency and size of the button palette with the sliders. You can show or hide the mini map button, enable the ability to edit more than one button at a time, automatically hide the button palette when not in a group, and if you've made a mess of things, restore the default data.
If you are and old school leet haxor you can use the following slash commands:
By default Megaphone comes with following buttons that demo all of its capabilities...
Page 1, Raiding buttons:
"Move","Don't stand in the fire! Move it!"
"Adds","All DPS on Adds! ASAP!"
"Pop","Pop Trinkets! Use Cool Downs! %%lust%%"
"Boss","All DPS on Boss! Burn Baby Burn!"
"Big Heals","Big heals on Tank! Gulp!"
"Mana","Hold up! Mana low! Drinking! Hic!"
"Kill Order","Kill order: Skull, X, Square, Diamond. Sheep Moon!"
"Pulling","Pulling! Prepare to Fire! HOORA!"
"Taunt","Taunt Boss off me! Ouch!"
"Stop!","Stop Attacking! Don't AOE!"
"Buffs","Get over here! Buff up! Eat Food, Flasks, Potions! Burp!"
"Ready","Everyone is ready! Go Tank Go!"
"Wipe","It's a wipe! Stop healing! Game Over Man!"
"Loot","Loot Rules: Roll Main Spec, Off Spec, DE. No Ninja!"
Note the macroword %%lust%% used in the the 3rd button. When you press a button containing this macroword it gets replaced with "Blood Lust" if you are Horde or "Heroism" if you are Alliance. This is great example of a dynamic variable. One button for a spell that has a faction dependent name.
These buttons will help you find players in trade and LFG chat to fill out your PUGs! And we have another macroword used in the last button: "%%selectedquest%%"! If you have a quest selected in your quest log this macroword gets replaced with the link for that quest! Before to select the quest first, then press the button. (You can close your quest log after you select a quest.)
Page 3, Macroword Demo Buttons
"Where","I'm standing in %%subzone%%"
"Time","The server time is %%time%%"
"Haste","Pop %%lust%% now!"
"Health","My health is at %%health%%"
"Power","My %%powertype%% is at %%power%%"
"Target","My target's health is at %%targethealth%%"
"Focus","My focus' health is at %%focushealth%%"
"Mouse","%%mousename%% has %%mousehealth%% and %%mousepower%% %%mousepowertype%%"
All 13 Macrowords are demonstrated by these buttons. A macroword is enclosed in %%'s at the beginning and the end. When you click a Megaphone button containing a macroword the entire string of characters is replaced with a dynamic value such as the name of the zone your character is in or the health percentage of your focus.
For example the button labeled "Mouse" displays the name, health, and power (mana, rage, etc) of the player or NPC under your mouse. This button is not useful unless you bind it to a key!
%%subzone%% -- returns the subzone a player is in
%%time%% -- returns the realm current time
%%lust%% -- returns "Blood Lust" if horde or "Heroism" if alliance
%%health%% -- returns the % health of the player
%%power%% -- returns the % mana/rage/focus/energy/runic power of the current player
%%powertype%% -- returns the power type (mana, rage, focus, energy, runic power) of the player
%%targethealth%% -- returns the % health of the player's target
%%focushealth%% -- returns the % health of the player's target
%%mousename%% -- returns the name of the unit the player's mouse is over
%%mousehealth%% -- returns the % health of the unit the player's mouse is over
%%mousepowertype%% -- returns the power type of the unit the player's mouse is over
%%mousepower%% -- returns the % power of the unit the player's mouse is over
%%selectedquest%% -- returns the name of the currently selected quest in the quest log
Inserting Hyperlinks into Megaphone Button Messages
If you want to create a button to link a specific item, spell, talent, or quest into a chat channel it's easy to do.
1. Open the Button Editor for a button
2. Click in the message field where you want the link to appear. (Lines 1, 2, 3, or 4.)
3. Open your character frame, bags, quest log, spell book, or talent frame and shift click the icon of the object you want to link to. (For quests you can just click--the shift is optional.)
4. The link for the item will appear in the selected message field
5. Save the button.
6. Now when you click the button your link will appear in your chat channel of choice.
7. You can shift click just about any icon in WoW to get a link except for Achievements (I'm still working on them).
BTW, hyperlinks need to be refreshed if your skill level changes for a profession or you learn new recipes.
You can bind a key stroke to each button or to show/hide the button palette itself. Just use the standard WoW Key Bindings UI. It's in the options menu that pops up when you press esc or click on the Game Menu icon. Look for the section in the Key Bindings frame labeled "Megaphone Addon Keys". It should be near the end of the list. The same key bindings work for every page--Button 1 on Page 1 is the same as Button 1 on Pages 2 and 3.
Thanks for downloading and have fun with Megaphone!
Updated for patch 4.0.1
- Tested all features
- Incremented version number
- Minimap icon obeys preferences between logins
- LFG channel is no longer hard coded to the number 4 (Now it's the right number for your server!)
- Implemented the ability to whisper to your target or your target's target
- Laid the ground work for replying to whispers
- Laid the ground work for executing macros
Smaller, Prettier, and More Pages
- Implemented the ability to control the color of a button from the button editor
- Implemented smaller buttons with gradients and smaller labels
- Reduced the size of the button palette
- Added 2 more pages for a total of 5 on the button palette
- Added a Battle Rez button (that works with the mouse over macroword and a target's target button
- Added macrowords for my target's target:
"%%targettargetname%%", -- returns the name of the target's target
"%%targettargethealth%%", -- returns the % health of the target's target
"%%targettargetpower%%", -- returns the % power of the target's target
"%%targettargetpowertype%%", -- returns the power type of the target's target
* Implemented the standard key bindings UI so now you can trigger a button with a keystroke
* Implemented shift-clicking on icon so you can include hyperlinks in your messages
* Implemented macrowords for mousing and the selected quest
* Fixed some bugs
* Implemented "macro words". Now Megaphone messgages can contain dynamic data like the name of the zone where your character is or the health of your target. Eight macro words have been implemented so far.
** %%subzone%% -- returns the subzone a player is in
** %%time%% -- returns the realm current time
** %%lust%% -- returns "Blood Lust" if horde or "Heroism" if alliance
** %%health%% -- returns the % health of the player
** %%power%% -- returns the % mana/rage/energy of the current player
** %%powertype%% -- returns the power type (mana, rage, focus, energy, runic power) of the player
** %%targethealth%% -- returns the % health of the player's target
** %%focushealth%% -- returns the % health of the player's target
* To use a macro word just type it in to a message. Examples include:
** I'm standing in %%subzone%%
** The server time is %%time%%
** I'm down to %%power%% of my %%powertype%%
* When you click a button containing a macro word the word is replaced with information from the WoW client or server.
* Example buttons with macro words are now on the 3rd page on the button palette.
* Also I cleaned up my code so it is more readable and matches the Lua style guidelines.
* Party/Raid option is now Party/Raid/BG, if you are in a Battleground then raid messages are sent to /BG
* Fixed problem with button palette blinking when party members change and auto hide option is set
* Changed some wording on the prefs screen
* Click the blue Megaphone icon on the top left of the button palette to bring up the preferences editor (or type /meph prefs)
* Use the Alpha Level slider to set the transparency of the button palette
* Use the Frame Size slider to grow or shrink the size of the button palette (the button labels don't resize well--I have to work on small sizes)
* Click MiniMap button checkbox to show or hide the Megaphone button on the MiniMap
* Click the Edit Multiple Buttons checkbox to keep the button palette unlocked so you edit buttons more quickly
* Click the Hide Out of Group checkbox to automatically hide the button palette when you are not in a party or raid (you can always show it with the MiniMap button or /meph show)
* Click the Restore Default Data checkbox to wipe all your custom buttons and edits to the default buttons. This option restores Megaphone to its original state. Can't be undone!
* I also fixed a bug with saved variables--just a dumb coding mistake :)
* Messages now sent to multiple channels in the right order
* Thanks to Soleater for his testing help!
* Minimap button, click to show Megaphone if you've closed it
* use /meph hide to hide the minimap button if it's annoying you
* Megaphone now posts messages with up to 4 lines for each button
* Megaphone now let's you send your messages to guild, officer, trade, and LFG chat as well as party, raid and raid warning
Redesigned from the ground up!
- Three pages of buttons
- All buttons can be edited
- Customized buttons saved between sessions
- New slash command meph /reset restores Megaphone to its default state
Lots of new features and a fix!
- Smaller more compact size
- Colored buttons: Red, Blue, and Green
- Two additional buttons: Wipe and Loot Rules
- Fixed encoding so that windows users can read my code
Fixed problems with the way I zipped up the files: Now Megaphone will actually load and there are no extraneous Mac OSX files included.
Fixed a bug with Frame strata: Now Megaphone displays properly when overlapping other addons and Blizzard UI widgits.