With the 3.3.5 patch, there were several features added to the default UI for the chat frames. Many of them were things that I had been using a larger chat addon for, and now could move to something smaller. I decided to create that smaller chat addon myself, and ChipperChat was born.
Hide chat buttons (jump to bottom button moved to lower-right corner, only shows when you are scrolled up)
Move edit box to the top of the chat frame
New editbox textures
Move chat frames to edges of screen
Move chat tabs to bottom of frames
Increased chat history
Now with support for extra chat frames! (whisper/conversation windows)
Now with option to control timestamps - will add them to *every* message, including system messages and the combat log
How To Install:
place ChipperChat folder inside Interface\AddOns
open cc_options.lua in any text editor if you wish to change some settings
log into the game and open up Interface Options > Social
select "Classic Style" in the Chat Style dropdown (this will let the edit box hide when not in use, and give you access to your chat tabs when both the edit box and tabs are on top)
How To Configure:
This addon is configurable only through a .lua file. Open up cc_options.lua in any text editor. (My editor of choice is Notepad++.) If you make extensive changes to the defaults, I suggest saving a backup of your edited copy of cc_options.lua. All options in that file are documented extensively. If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments here.
Want More Features?
(Note: The addons listed below are by no means "the best" or "the only" options. They are merely an example of what is available.)
Go to Interface Options > Social > "Chat Timestamps" and select a style from the dropdown menu
**NEW: ChipperChat now has an option to add timestamps - this allows them to be added to *every* message, including the combat log
Go to Interface Options > Social > "Enable Mouse Wheel Scrolling"
Class colored names
Right-click a chat tab and select "Settings". Mark the box under "Show Class Color" for each channel you want colored
Customized class colors
Download and install Class Colors by Phanx.
Pretty/Sleek/Minimalisitic chat tabs
Download and install the addon Fane by Haste or nibChatTabs by Nibelheim.
Download and install the addon ChatSounds by Dridzt
Keybindings for chat channels
Download and install ChatKeys by Zax
Buttons for chat channels
Download and install qChatBar by Qulight
Hide the black bar on the Combat Log
Download and install nibHideBlackBar by Nibelheim
Minimize chat window
Download and install Chiccai by Lolzen and Cargor
Move Battle.net Toaster popup window anywhere on screen
Download and install Toastmaster by morkesh or TinyToastMover by ameyaselene
(be sure to disable ChipperChat's handling of this in cc_options.lua so you don't get conflicts)
Download and install EasyCopy by bitbiter
Can I use your code/textures?
All use of my code and textures separate from their addons must be for your own personal use and may not be redistributed separate from the addon. You may use snippets of my code in addons you intend to distribute only after receiving permission, and credit must be given.
Can I redistribute your addons?
My addons may only be redistributed in UI compilations, and any mention of the addon must point to its download page or my portal, both on wowinterface.
How can I give feedback?
Feel free to leave your comments/questions on the addon's download page, but all bug reports and feature requests need to go to my portal if you want me to remember to do them.
Do you accept cookies?
I love cookies! Unfortunately, they may turn to crumbs in the mail. Instead, you may donate to my cookie fund via PayPal.
- fix for error when scrolling (Blizz renamed a function)
- updated TOC for 7.1
- fix for FriendsMicroButton getting renamed
- added option to disable need for Alt key when moving cursor in editbox
- update for Legion
- Battle.net conversation message type no longer exists
- fixed timestamps for UI changes
- updated TOC for 6.2
- added option to control timestamps - will add them to *every* message, including the combat log
- added setting for format of timestamps
- updated TOC number for 6.1
- change alpha of scroll to bottom button instead of show state
- updated TOC to 5.1
- added Instance chat to the channel names list for abbreviating as well as Instance Leader and Party Leader
- move chat tabs to the bottom of the frame (new custom tab textures to go with)
- changing the editbox texture is now handled by the addon meaning you don't need to place the textures in your Interface folder any longer (there is an option to disable this)
- updated info.txt
- channel names should again be abbreviated correctly
- bumped TOC for MoP
- attempt to fix disappearing scroll to bottom button... Still not sure why it occasionally disappears or if this will even work
-updated TOC for 4.2
-changed strreplace to gsub - hope nothing breaks! :D
- added support for more chat windows (moving whispers and conversations to new windows)
- slight code reorganization and optimization
- increase chat history earlier so that it doesn't wipe your chat window of the MOTD, etc.