Excavatinator is a checklist for archaeology. It will list all currently known archaeology projects, and whether you've completed each project.
Type /arch to open the main window. This contains a list which shows each race with a project count, your progress on the current artifact, and how many keystones you have. There are also a few buttons along the bottom of the window:
- The far left button opens the travel frame. This holds a list of the items and spells you have that you can use to instantly travel around the world with (hearthstone, teleport etc). This list may not be complete; if you have something that should be on the list but isn't, give me a comment.
- Near the middle is the Survey button. This button simply casts Survey.
- Next to it is the achievement tracker button. The achievement tracker allows you to see your progress on the archaeology achievements in the game.
- Finally there's the links frame. This is intended as a solution to a problem caused by Blizzard's API; if an archaeology project's name does not match the name of the created item, there is no data linking them. This frame allows you to manually link an unlinked project you have completed to an item you haven't. Some links have been provided in the update, and if you find any further un-linked item/project combinations, go ahead and tell me so I can add them to the default list.
- The little button to the far right collapses the race frame so that it only displays the races available on the continent you're on. Only works in Eastern Kingdoms, Kalimdor, Outland and Northrend.
Click a race to open its artifact list. The artifact list lists all artifacts you can find for that race, and which ones of those you have completed. You can mouse over an artifact to view the item's tooltip, and click one to insert a link into chat.
You can also keybind the Excavatinator window, as well as the Survey skill, under the key bindings menu.
-- Version 1.4 --
- Travel frame added! Click the travel button (bottom left corner) to see a frame with any methods of
teleportation available to you, and click one of your choosing. If I've missed any items or spells
that should be included, tell me.
- Link frame added! In cases where Excavatinator can not automatically link an archaeology project to
an item, you can manually link the two here. Certain links are provided with the update. If you
find any items that aren't linked, please do tell me, and I'll add them to the default list.
- The lists of incomplete common or rare artifacts can now always be viewed from the achievements
"Diggerest" or "It Belongs in a Museum!" respectively, even if you have completed the achievement.
- The Survey button now works for all languages.
- Total artifact count is now accurate for all languages.
- With the introduction of the links frame, the Crawling Claw problem should be fixed.
-- Version 1.3 --
- The main window can now be collapsed to only show races available on the current continent.
- There is now a Survey button in the main window.
- Achievement tracker added. Click an achievement for information on incomplete objectives.
- There was a rather embarassing mistake that would prevent item links from working as intended on
non-English clients. This should now be fixed.
- The Crawling Claw problem still exists, for the same reason as described below.
- Excavatinator can not be opened while in combat.
-- Version 1.2 --
- Right clicking a race will now solve its artifact, if possible.
- The main Excavatinator window will now update in real time. The artifact list still won't.
Note: The standard archaeology window will not work properly with Excavatinator open.
- There are now key bindings available for opening Excavatinator and for casting Survey.
- The artifact list will no longer scroll when there is no need for it to.
- The Lua error on opening a profession window should now be fixed.
- The Crawling Claw will not display correctly. There is no good way to fix this that will not cause
-- Version 1.1 --
- The mouseover tooltip for a race will now tell you how many total solves you have done for that race. This
is different from the number of unique artifacts found, in that several solves of the same artifact
will be counted.
- Recipe: Vial of the Sands is now listed under the Tol'vir race, under the new heading "Other". You will
have to open your alchemy tradeskill to see its completion status, or any profession if you don't
- A very simple API has been added to fetch information from Excavatinator. These can be used to create
other addons that present or use said information differently. See Excavatinator.lua for more info.
- The number of existing artifacts for a race should now stay consistent, even if there is a problem with
- The Crawling Claw still will not display correctly. The project has a different name and icon from the
item it rewards, and those are the only two possible ways to match a project to the item created.
If any items are in the same situation in any other language, the same problem will occur with them.
- The first time you open a profession window after starting the client, if you have not opened Excavatinator
you will get a Lua error.
-- Version 1.0 --
- The Crawling Claw is not listed correctly, and if obtained will be listed as "Mummified Monkey Paw". This
will also cause the Tol'vir race to display as having one more artifact than it actually does.