This is a little utility for developers, that allows you to conveniently view complex variables.
To view a global variable named myTable, simply run the command:
The function returns the frame it creates so you can reposition it from your code. You can also move it freely from the GUI, and scale it by pressing ctrl and using the mouse wheel.
As of v1.02, there is also a slash command so you can simple write /watch myTable right there in your chat box.
Note: You can use also use the above methods to watch subtables like so: /watch myTable[idx1].subtable.
At the moment this only works on global variables, but since you'll probably be using it to view tables it's easy enough to create a global reference.
To create a little frame where you can easily watch a changing value:
frmWatch = CreateWatchFrame ('window_title')
-- somewhere, presumably in an event function
* More improvements to both the display and the functionality of complex variables.
* Hopefully, something involving debug prints for other add-ons.
* Make it possible to show something by value instead of by name.
* Maybe add automatic throttling to the watch frame, because nobody actually wants to watch a value change 60 times per second.
Feature ideas and bug reports are, as usual, extremely welcome!
Have you seen my other add-ons yet? SanityCheck - Of course you know how to play your class, but there is just so much to remember! Raidbot - The right way to raid! Flaskaholic - Flasks are expensive, stop wasting them! Surprise - What does this add-on do? There is only one way to find out! MooTrack - The simple, lightweight way to keep track of buffs and debuffs! MagicMarker - One configurable tool for all your automatic marking needs!
* Visual redesign. Many thanks to Pelf and Phanx for feedback!
* Added slash command
* Added the ability to directly watch subtables
* Seriously improved display of tables and stuff