WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=144)
-   -   UI Feedback Thread (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38749)

Lily.Petal 03-21-11 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petrah (Post 232553)
I really love how you've done the UI. I think the only thing that kind of throws it off though are the missing pixel borders for your unit frames. Add those and it'll be totally awesome!

I'll try it, though I think it would be kinda odd. Ill add it around player frame then post :o

I think I would have to make the frames transparent in order to make it actually match though.

Tanthalus 03-21-11 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hankthetank (Post 231492)
Why people love pixel fonts so much I don't get it.

The point of them is missed in a lot of UIs. Pixel fonts have their place, and it depends on the UI author to have some good taste in not putting the font in horribly ugly places, like being chat, quest, scrolling combat text and overhead damage font to name a few. They just look horrible there.

A few of the places pixel fonts excel in are: (Must have MONOCHROME mod to look its best with shadow set to (0, 0)
  • Keybinds.
  • Coords on Minimap
  • Raid Unit frames
  • Stack count on small icons (<20pixels) Usually class timers or target UF debuffs
  • -Very- minimalistic UIs

Lily.Petal 03-21-11 06:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well... here it is xD unit frames go~ looks kinda odd to me still :P

There is a border though behind the UF's, the shadowy border at least as seen in Image2 when I have threat. Also, 3rd Image shows party frames. And ops, apparently something happened to my threat~ Dps bars z.z gotta look at it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanthalus (Post 232557)
The point of them is missed in a lot of UIs. Pixel fonts have their place, and it depends on the UI author to have some good taste in not putting the font in horribly ugly places, like being chat, quest, scrolling combat text and overhead damage font to name a few. They just look horrible there.

Actually, depending on the pixel font, (i am using one that has lower and uppercase letters) quest text is fine with one. Chat does look awful, and ya, I can't seem to use pixel font well in a scrolling battle text.
--Example of my quest text is in image3 below.

I am using a mixture of Swfit and Supernat1001 for my fonts, swfit for UnitFrames, and data text, and supernat for like quest text, my exp bar minimap and some other things. Pixel fonts have a lot of varieties and uses :o

Tanthalus 03-21-11 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily.Petal (Post 232558)

There is a border though behind the UF's, the shadowy border at least as seen in Image2 when I have threat. Also, 3rd Image shows party frames. And ops, apparently something happened to my threat~ Dps bars z.z gotta look at it.

Actually, depending on the pixel font, (i am using one that has lower and uppercase letters) quest text is fine with one. Chat does look awful, and ya, I can't seem to use pixel font well in a scrolling battle text.
--Example of my quest text is in image3 below.

I am using a mixture of Swfit and Supernat1001 for my fonts, swfit for UnitFrames, and data text, and supernat for like quest text, my exp bar minimap and some other things. Pixel fonts have a lot of varieties and uses :o

Id move your UF information inside the health bar and set them to Monochrome, shadow 0,0 and hidden when at full health OOC, Other than that they look good. Pixel fonts love an outline to make them excel at what they are used for; high contrast in low real estate areas.

Tanthalus 03-21-11 08:15 PM

Here is my a WIP:

Aprikot 03-21-11 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanthalus (Post 232564)
Here is my a WIP:

Looks good (a bit like Jasje Tukui). I like the background strata of the actionbar panel, was that intentional?

Remsaa 03-22-11 09:44 AM

I have the following mods

Archy
Grid
Prat
Move Anything
Bartender 4
Bagnon
Doom Cooldown Pulse
Lose Control
Nug ComboBar
TidyPlates
OmniCC
Skada
Power Auras
Iinterupptedthat
KGPanels
Button Façade (or whatever replaced it)

The background I made specifically for my rogue (although my DK uses it as well) The paladin has different artwork which I might submit at a later time.
The artwork has elements from the Diablo III Official Website, Rothui (map background) and hacked up bits from several images from a wonderful interface artist known by Hunqwert on deviantart.

Mischback 03-22-11 11:44 AM

The artwork is really well done, though I simply can not stand those standard UFs... looks terrible and ruins all the great work you put into it.
The minimap is the other spot I would change... (Nearly) standard map doesn't fit the rest of the (changed) stuff...

Remsaa 03-22-11 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mischback (Post 232635)
The artwork is really well done, though I simply can not stand those standard UFs... looks terrible and ruins all the great work you put into it.
The minimap is the other spot I would change... (Nearly) standard map doesn't fit the rest of the (changed) stuff...

Do you have a suggestion for something I can do about the UFs but not lose the "artsy" feel, or I am not sure where I would start to making my own, the graphics part Im not worried about, its all the rest...

Good point about the map not fitting, I will be making a new one today

Thanks for the comments and advice ;)

Mischback 03-22-11 11:49 AM

Check out oUF and the great layout by zork, it may be a starting point.

I guess you have already messed with Blizz-Lua, so oUF should provide you a sufficient framework to create "fitting" unitframes.

Oraknathal 03-22-11 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanthalus (Post 232564)
Here is my a WIP:

I really like this UI its very clean I especially love the tooltip. What addon are you using for it?

SRCarebear 03-22-11 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not quite sure what to do with my Skada and DBM. Any suggestions?

haylie 03-22-11 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily.Petal (Post 232558)

Why is your chat box in the middle of the screen?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRCarebear (Post 232657)

Bottom right. No use reinventing the wheel here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remsaa (Post 232625)
I have the following mods

I actually think the default UFs would look good if they weren't so small compared to the rest of your UI elements. As it stands right now, the artwork draws attention away from them, which is never a good idea.

SRCarebear 03-22-11 05:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by haylie (Post 232658)
Bottom right. No use reinventing the wheel here.

Tooltip goes there!

Just place it here after joining a party though.

Porsha 03-22-11 06:46 PM

My new one...digging it pretty much so far.

showing tooltip and target buff/debuffs

Oraknathal 03-23-11 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRCarebear (Post 232657)

what are you using for those raid frames they look really elegant.

Nerielle 03-23-11 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily.Petal (Post 232522)
I think the NibPD needs to be more 'slim' takes a lot of your bar imo.

That's pretty much stock from ledUI, though I understand what you mean. I will look into making them slimmer. And the combat shot I will get tonight, forgot on Monday :)

SRCarebear 03-23-11 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oraknathal (Post 232684)
what are you using for those raid frames they look really elegant.

They are part of my oUF.

sakurakira 03-23-11 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRCarebear (Post 232659)
Tooltip goes there!

Just place it here after joining a party though.

Vortex Pinnacle at night is one of my faves, nice shot!

harizon 03-23-11 06:02 AM

In my continuing effort to learn putting together a UI, this is my latest offspring.
Not reinventing the wheel. Merely taking a square piece of metal and hitting it until it sorta looks round-ish.