WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   nUI: Suggestion Box (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Suggest nUI Map (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40263)

tinyu 05-24-11 03:14 AM

Suggest nUI Map

I'd like to see nUI do something with the default map maybe something like Mapster but more nUIish.

spiel2001 05-24-11 04:50 PM

I actually want to do that... I'd really like to do a zoomable map in the info panel, too.

todd0168 05-25-11 11:14 AM

This would be amazing. Would be able to get rid of Carbonite, which is very slow at updating their addon in recent times. Would be yet one more addon less to have.
:banana::banana:

Chmee 05-25-11 04:54 PM

Seems like an awful lot of complexity to add to nUI. OTOH, the two functions of Carbonite I actually use are the map and the quest log features. Don't use the punks list, punk detection, the Warehouse, or any of the other "social window" functions (which really just put a carb window behind the default blizz window anyway). OTGH, I really like the way carb does the maps and the quest stuff. I guess if Scott adds maps to nUI, I'll have to dump carb and find another quest addon (I used to use nQuestLog, I think it was called. No idea if it's still around).

tinyu 05-25-11 07:27 PM

yeah the only parts of Carbonite i use are the Maps, Node Glow option (when it works) and the quest complete sounds (which i can get with other addons).

Scott if you were to do a nUI Map would you be able to make it like Carbonite with the node glow?

spiel2001 05-25-11 08:31 PM

~lol~

The reason I haven't done the map yet is because it scares the bejebbus outta me

~grin~

I've been slowly but surely wrapping my head around the subject, so I will take it on... but I have not doubt it's going to take a couple of tries and then we'll see about adding features to it.

tinyu 05-26-11 06:34 AM

lol you said bejebbus

todd0168 05-26-11 11:17 AM

Yeah, I only use Carbonite for the map and the quest tracking. I use GatherMate for the harvesting nodes, and find that it's usually more accurate than Carbonite. I think I could probably live with the default quest stuff. Last time Carbonite took forever to update I was forced to use the blizz maps and quest stuff, and while I still hated the maps with a passion, I didn't find the quest tracking stuff to be quite as horrible as it once was. So even if nUI only tackled the map functionality of Carbonite, I would be very, very pleased.

Chmee 05-26-11 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyu (Post 238100)
lol you said bejebbus

Aren't you supposed to put a couple of "heheh"'s after that? ;)

I forgot about the node glow and tracking functions. I do use those, and the favorites thing, all though setting that up is a pain, so I don't use it much.:cool:

crazzzzi 05-26-11 05:43 PM

i'd love to move on past Carbonite, but what are you all using for the warehouse function? And while i have every faith in Scott beoing able to implement a map, would it be wiser to get 6 done and stable, then try a map?

spiel2001 05-26-11 06:04 PM

Oh... don't be confused here... I have *no* intention of adding features to nUI5. The map effort I'm talking about is nUI6.

tinyu 05-26-11 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazzzzi (Post 238131)
i'd love to move on past Carbonite, but what are you all using for the warehouse function? And while i have every faith in Scott beoing able to implement a map, would it be wiser to get 6 done and stable, then try a map?

i believe the Map stuff will come after nUI6 is released and i dont use the warehouse function i find it worthless.

The only parts of Carbonite i find useful is

The Map
Node Tracking
Node Glow
Punks (When on PvP realm)
Quest Sounds

also if anyone has looked at the Carbonite code its is a REAL headache to try and figure out what does what like i had to when i added my own sounds to the Quest Sounds and made the broker plugin for Carbonite (which i had to look at the TitanCarbonite to get to work anyway).

Xrystal 05-27-11 01:09 AM

Yeah, I gave up trying to figure out carbonite code. It simply goes against my programming history where you made sure each variable and function name was understandable by anyone that might need to work on it.

However, I won't fault he complexity of the addon itself. When there was the free and paid for version the free version with just a quest log and map was all I used. I removed it when they started adding all the excess stuff.

Chmee 05-27-11 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazzzzi (Post 238131)

For the warehousing thing, I use Altoholic's Datastore.