WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tutorials & Other Helpful Info. (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Simple LUA -> addon site (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41892)

Vlad 11-25-11 08:40 AM

Simple LUA -> addon site

So I made this simple page:
http://addon.bool.no/

My question to you is, how could I make it better -as in more easy to use? Any ideas are welcome.

I know there are many guides how to make macro into addon and such, but I think that many are simply "cba" to do it, too much work, so they ask others to. With a page that does it for you and gives you an zip like any other addon you download, maybe it helps a bit, don't know, that's why I ask for feedback. :3

Aftermathhqt 11-25-11 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladinator (Post 247848)
So I made this simple page:
http://addon.ziuo.net/

My question to you is, how could I make it better -as in more easy to use? Any ideas are welcome.

I know there are many guides how to make macro into addon and such, but I think that many are simply "cba" to do it, too much work, so they ask others to. With a page that does it for you and gives you an zip like any other addon you download, maybe it helps a bit, don't know, that's why I ask for feedback. :3

Nice!

one of the things im missing.

is this;

Nice!

one of the things im missing.

is this;

Rilgamon 11-25-11 02:53 PM

Hide the toc until someone really wants to change it.
The toc is not for beginners who just make a makro into an addon ;)

But I like the idea but fear you as a single person will have trouble when the bad guys notice you could give them access to wow users.

SDPhantom 11-25-11 05:24 PM

Without login credentials or really info storage of any kind, there's nothing for them to poke around for to cause trouble.

I had an idea on my own site that would do the reverse of this. It would take the addons I created and uploaded, and allow a visitor to browse through the code before downloading it. The addon would be stored in a zip archive and the PHP script would directly read the files inside to accomplish this.

Vlad 11-25-11 06:33 PM

So the ideas are;
(1) Syntax highlight for the lua code, may be tricky but I'll look into it.
(2) Do not show toc until really needed, so I could use the folder name as base for toc title unless it is specifically edited on request, some show/hide button thingy on the toc step.

As for safety, the file is automatically created and as soon the zip is either canceled or downloaded, the file is removed from the system. There is nothing to steal, except maybe accessing http://addon.bool.no/cache for the latest interface version, it's automatically updated from Blizzards latest patch note page. ;)

SDPhantom 11-25-11 09:39 PM

If you don't want users in a specific directory tree and are using the Apache server (don't know of other servers support it), you can drop the following lines in a .htaccess file in the directory.
Code:

Order deny,allow
Deny from all

Rilgamon 11-26-11 08:20 AM

With security I dont mean password or addon informations.
Your site delivers a file that will be opened and placed in a "predictable" path.
So if someone manages to break into your site or injects malicious code this could offer possibilities for an attack. Unlikely, I know ... but worth mentioning I thought ;)

Vlad 11-26-11 10:32 AM

@SDPhantom: I know, but I don't mind anyone accessing the cache file itself, it just keeps and up to date version number and I'd even like to perhaps use it myself for some other projects, hehe. Only a couple of bytes of bandwidth. The other files are only what is essential to the site so not much to hide. No ZIP is stored either so the only way one could download someone elses ZIP is to know their IP and at the exact time of the submit request also start their own request to simultaneously download the file before the original user finishes the stream and the file is removed. :D

@Rilgamon: But isn't that like saying "if the site is hacked they can put trojans in the script so every user gets infected by it" -isn't that a flaw that any download system shares, heck even every website? :P
I think we can't all live in fear all the time, you might as well just not use the internet if you are afraid. Every popular site is a target really, not sure how you can defend yourself as a customer... I kind of have to rely on my deliverer to set up the security for me.

Rilgamon 11-26-11 10:37 AM

:) Fear is what makes us better ... its driving our creativity ;)

Vlad 11-26-11 10:44 AM

But again, what can I do to make it more safe? :P I can only hope that my host does it for me, mean, I pay them for this service. ;)

Wimpface 11-26-11 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rilgamon (Post 247896)
With security I dont mean password or addon informations.
Your site delivers a file that will be opened and placed in a "predictable" path.
So if someone manages to break into your site or injects malicious code this could offer possibilities for an attack. Unlikely, I know ... but worth mentioning I thought ;)

Using this logic, WoWInterface should be under the same suspicion.

EDIT (Cause of Vlad, dammit)
There's no reason not to trust WoWInterface as the staff do a great job.

Vlad 11-26-11 11:33 AM

Wimpface delete that please. It's true, but many other readers may take this the wrong way and start to suspect this site even if it's hypothetical or just an statement... you know how public relationships are... I feel someone from the staff will have to reply to you in a long post just to explain to the every day browser of the site to not be alarmed about this, and it's true, they shouldn't be alarmed, the site is well monitored. :)

Wimpface 11-26-11 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladinator (Post 247906)
Wimpface delete that please. It's true, but many other readers may take this the wrong way and start to suspect this site even if it's hypothetical or just an statement... you know how public relationships are... I feel someone from the staff will have to reply to you in a long post just to explain to the every day browser of the site to not be alarmed about this, and it's true, they shouldn't be alarmed, the site is well monitored. :)

Is my edit good enough? :o

Marthisdil 11-26-11 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wimpface (Post 247904)
Using this logic, WoWInterface should be under the same suspicion.

EDIT (Cause of Vlad, dammit)
There's no reason not to trust WoWInterface as the staff do a great job.

You're correct, but, if someone were to somehow get into WoWI's backend, they could still do it....can happen anywhere.

Wimpface 11-26-11 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marthisdil (Post 247908)
You're correct, but, if someone were to somehow get into WoWI's backend, they could still do it....can happen anywhere.

Which is the point I tried to make. This can happen anywhere on the internet.

Vlad 11-26-11 12:16 PM

*Smells the admins lurking around this thread.*

Cairenn 11-26-11 12:31 PM

So, shall I make that long post you guys are half expecting to show up? ;):p:D

Wimpface 11-26-11 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 247912)
So, shall I make that long post you guys are half expecting to show up? ;):p:D

Please go easy on me. I like it here! <3

Cairenn 11-26-11 02:24 PM

*chuckles*

Nibelheim 11-26-11 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wimpface (Post 247914)
Please go easy on me. I like it here! <3

Punishment is blind.

Or is that justice?