WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   got a question (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44698)

jktz122 10-09-12 07:09 AM

got a question

does wowinterface have a client or program that can automaticly update and install add ons that we d/l from this site? similar to what curse does?

Ither 10-09-12 11:00 AM

http://minion.mmoui.com/

SDPhantom 10-09-12 12:22 PM

I didn't have a link, but MMO Minion was abandoned by the person that was to develop it. It should still work, but if it doesn't, don't expect an update until someone else decides to pick it up again.

Ither 10-09-12 01:07 PM

Oh bummer.

I update manually because I have certain changes in some of my addons to particular to my desires.

It's just easier than trusting an application that could essentially wipe your addons.

Cairenn 10-09-12 01:28 PM

Minion is still useable, it just isn't being actively developed any longer. Make sure you have Java 6 and it should work fine.

Phanx 10-09-12 10:42 PM

Personally, I use the Curse Client to update most of my addons, since most addons are published both here and on Curse. For the few addons that aren't on Curse, I add them to my WoWI favorites list so I can see when they are updated. If you don't visit the site often, you can enable email notifications when anything on your favorites list is updated (click the Preferences link on the left on your favorites list), or subscribe to the RSS feed for your favorites list (click the RSS button at the top of your favorites list). If you don't know what RSS feeds are, just use the email option. :)

jktz122 10-10-12 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phanx (Post 266395)
Personally, I use the Curse Client to update most of my addons, since most addons are published both here and on Curse. For the few addons that aren't on Curse, I add them to my WoWI favorites list so I can see when they are updated. If you don't visit the site often, you can enable email notifications when anything on your favorites list is updated (click the Preferences link on the left on your favorites list), or subscribe to the RSS feed for your favorites list (click the RSS button at the top of your favorites list). If you don't know what RSS feeds are, just use the email option. :)

i see so if i add whatever add on i d/l from here to my favorites everytime the author updates me it would give me a notice .. thats a good idea :)

it took me a while to trust the curse client .. dunno if i would trust the wow matrix client so fast

Vis 10-10-12 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jktz122 (Post 266408)
*snip*dunno if i would trust the wow matrix client so fast

I wouldn't trust that particular client at all in any way shape or form.

The only updater's I would use and trust are the Curse Client from curse.com or Minion here at WoWinterface.

Seerah 10-10-12 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jktz122 (Post 266408)
i see so if i add whatever add on i d/l from here to my favorites everytime the author updates me it would give me a notice .. thats a good idea :)

Yep! Just make sure you remember to enable the email notice like Phanx said.

SDPhantom 10-10-12 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGeek (Post 266348)
I update manually because I have certain changes in some of my addons to particular to my desires.

I update and install manually too. It's honestly very simple to do so and ever since Curse had a keylogger sneak through the ads on their client several years ago, I'm wary on letting another program do what I can do in 10 seconds anyway.

Phanx 10-10-12 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDPhantom (Post 266437)
... Curse had a keylogger sneak through the ads on their client several years ago ...

Any halfway-decent security software should be able to catch that kind of thing, or you can just block the ad servers in your Windows hosts file.

Also, if you're an addon author, you get free Curse Premium, so you don't get served any ads. That may not be relevant to the OP, but it should apply to you. ;)

Seerah 10-10-12 05:06 PM

Well, only if he hosts his addons on Curse.

jktz122 10-10-12 07:35 PM

i dont have ads and wouldnt click on ads either but you are saying wowinterface has a client called minion? and does it have ads or use keyloggers? I tried d/l minioin i installed it followed the instruction but it isnt working doesnt even open up

Phanx 10-10-12 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jktz122 (Post 266467)
I tried d/l minioin i installed it followed the instruction but it isnt working doesnt even open up

You should probably read the rest of the thread, specifically:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDPhantom (Post 266345)
MMO Minion was abandoned by the person that was to develop it. It should still work, but if it doesn't, don't expect an update until someone else decides to pick it up again.

jktz122 10-10-12 08:09 PM

how do i uninstall it

Dolby 10-10-12 08:14 PM

Minion just requires Java 6 instead of 7, you can download the latest version of java 6 from here: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual_v6.jsp. They will continue to update Java 6 until Feb 2013 and I hope we have something else in place by then.

If minion really installed it self it should show under add/remove programs under control panel. Just remove it. :)

Seerah 10-10-12 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phanx (Post 266469)
You should probably read the rest of the thread, specifically:

*ahem*

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 266354)
Minion is still useable, it just isn't being actively developed any longer. Make sure you have Java 6 and it should work fine.

:D

jktz122 10-11-12 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolby (Post 266473)
Minion just requires Java 6 instead of 7, you can download the latest version of java 6 from here: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual_v6.jsp. They will continue to update Java 6 until Feb 2013 and I hope we have something else in place by then.

If minion really installed it self it should show under add/remove programs under control panel. Just remove it. :)

i see the folder where minion is but i dont see it in the control panel

jktz122 10-12-12 06:53 AM

in any case somehow by some miracle it works now ..lol