WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbonite Archive (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Carbonite + MikScrollingBattleText (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22657)

Raventhorn 04-21-09 06:45 PM

Carbonite + MikScrollingBattleText

Both the wife and I have been experiencing something strange with Carbonite and MikScrollingBattleText. This problem, if it even is a problem and not by design, has been happening ever since Carbonite Quest under WoW 3.09 and is still happening now several versions and games patches later. Any time one of us gets near another Carbonite user, their name followed by a semi-colon and a long string of seemingly random characters which include my own name embedded within, scrolls up the notification area belonging to MikScrollingBattleText. From the looks of it, MikScrollingBattleText is intercepting something Carbonite is sending/receiving over the chat channels it creates and uses. If you need a screenshot I'm sure I can snag one since it happens quite often. I looked through the posts here at WoWI and am surprised nobody else has mentioned this yet. Is this normal? Thanks.

Sepioth 04-21-09 07:49 PM

I get the same thing ... it only happens if you are being targeted by another Carbonite user.

I have even gone thru MIK's options and can't even turn it off :)

carboniteaddon 04-21-09 10:35 PM

Carbonite makes various zone channels to send info to others in the same zone. Those channels are not tied to any UI, so they are invisible. If some addon is grabbing that data and showing it, there is no realistic way we can stop it. The only choice on our end is to check "Disable zone channel" in the Privacy & Com page of the Carb Options window.

x Hexagon x 04-22-09 12:46 PM

I had the same issue but didn't realize that MikScrollingBattleText was the cause... I wonder if it can be disabled in that mod instead...

Sepioth 04-22-09 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x Hexagon x (Post 130083)
I had the same issue but didn't realize that MikScrollingBattleText was the cause... I wonder if it can be disabled in that mod instead...

I looked in MSBT and saw nothing to stop it .. I believe I even unchecked all boxes that used the same color as what was scrolling on my screen (In my case yellow) and it still showed.

It is very easy to duplicate. Take two Carbonite user and have one target the other. They need to be close to each other too. The players with MSBT will get the spam.

It appears it may be from MSBT scanning ALL channels in WoW. Something that Carbonite sends through that chat channel is picked up by MSBT.

Maybe if MSBT added an ignore channel feature??

Mikord 04-23-09 11:43 AM

I answered this over on MSBT's comments page, but MSBT does not scan channels. If that information is being shown through MSBT, I'd be willing to bet it's another mod (most likely chatter or similar) rerouting its output through MSBT.

Would you disable all other mods beside MSBT and carbonite to verify that it doesn't happen?

SaberHawke 04-23-09 11:55 AM

I actually tracked this down a while back. I had Chatter set to alert me whenever my name was typed in a Chat channel. Unfortunately, the Carbonite addon does use your character name when sending updates through the addon channels. So Chatter would pick up the data string and send it to MSBT.

I ended up changing my chat module to Prat 3.0 so I could tell it which Chat channels to scan. This wasn't possible with Chatter when I was using it.

Mikord 04-23-09 03:31 PM

Thanks for the update SabreHawk. I figured it was Chatter as I indicated in my post since MSBT doesn't scan communication channels whatsoever.

Sepioth 04-23-09 03:42 PM

I was going to check it out tonight with a friend.

Thanks for posting the info on Chatter. I actially use chatter but never set it to look for my name. Must be a default setting.

I'll let you know my results.

Raventhorn 04-23-09 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sepioth (Post 130500)
Thanks for posting the info on Chatter. I actially use chatter but never set it to look for my name.

Same here, I use Chatter but not the feature in question. Very odd indeed. I suppose an easy test would be to create a new chat channel, have a friend join it and type your name. In theory this should cause the "bug" we're seeing, same as when Carbonite does it. Anyways thanks for posting everyone! Makes me glad I finally asked about this. :)

Edit: The custom channel test worked, so it is indeed Chatter that is responsible. Looks like Chatter does add your own name to it's detect list automatically. Turning off the SCT option fixed it.

Sepioth 04-23-09 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raventhorn (Post 130506)
Edit: The custom channel test worked, so it is indeed Chatter that is responsible. Looks like Chatter does add your own name to it's detect list automatically. Turning off the SCT option fixed it.

Yeah .. I saw it under the "Highlight" section.

You can either turn of the SCT options or remove your name from that list there.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Raventhorn 04-23-09 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sepioth (Post 130620)
You can either turn of the SCT options or remove your name from that list there.

You could remove your name from the list, but the next time to log in on that character it's name will be automatically added back to the list. This is unfortunate seeing as having the name of your character in that list causes problems when using channel sounds. For example I have a separate chat tab specifically created for all party talk. I set Chatter to make a sound if someone talks in this party channel to make sure I don't miss anything important. However if someone grouping with me says my name in a sentence (or alone), the sound I set refuses to play.

I guess what we should probably be doing is point the author of Chatter to this thread lol. In any case sorry for bugging ya all, especially the makers of the mods in question. FWIW both are on my top three list (out of the 31 addons I currently use). I could probably live without most of them, but not MSBT and especially Carbonite. I just got a nice big refund cheque and as soon as I get it cashed I'll be happily donating to both projects. :)