WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Gameplay (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Healing: Addon Reviews (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40752)

Verttex 07-05-11 06:44 PM

Healing: Addon Reviews

Healing: POPULAR ADDONS!
A pro and con list of the most popular healing addons.
Notes for Use:
Multiple catagories start and end with a colored line. White is just a separator.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Click Based Healing
HEY THERE! Its a me, a Verttex. Today I am here to talk about the topic of click-based healing. This is a big topic so lets dive right into it. So as we have many addons to pick from, I will go ahead and list them out with pros and cons.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pros:
  • Easy to understand and configure.
  • Shows Debuffs, including Magic,Poison,Curse
  • Click Casting with modifer keys.
  • Widely popular with plugins to other UIs (like NUI)
  • SmartDispel and SmartRes
  • Most Downloads
Cons:
  • Not as configurable as Vuhdo/Grid/Others
  • Can freeze up and SmartDispel is sometimes broken.
  • Not easy for authors to make a plugin FOR the addon.
  • Has had problems in the past for layouts disappearing.

Verttex's Thoughts:
As it is the most used addon for click-casting, it is full featured and very easy to understand. After awhile of using it, you figure out you need something MORE featured

Final Rating:☻☻☻☺☺ or 3/5 faces.

Pros:
  • VERY FEATURED!
  • Click Casting with modifer keys.
  • SmartDispel and SmartRes
  • Able to do many more things than Healbot
Cons:
Verttex's Thoughts:
I used this addon for a long time healing raids and dungeons and battlegrounds. With my time with it I came to love it with the auto-change layouts and more catagories than Healbot.

Final Rating:☻☻☻☻☺ or 4/5 faces.

Pros:
  • Simple and Basic, not as much as Healbot
  • Click Casting with modifer keys. WITH CLIQUE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Unkn
    Clique is not needed with Grid. You can easily make mouseover macros and you will never have to use Clique. That's how I've always done it, and it save you having to depend on yet another addon when patches hit.

• MANY MANY MANY Plugins to add to it.
  • MACROS! (with Clique)
Cons:
  • Really nothing. Just that Clique is needed and Clique has high memory usage.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cladhaire (Post 240995)
    I'm the author of Clique. I've been the author of Clique from the day it was released. I have never once, in the entirety of the time that Clique has existed, had a single complaint about the memory usage of Clique. As the author, I would be interested in a single report you have from a single user, so I can work to address any shortcomings that might exist in the addon.

Verttex's Thoughts:
I used Grid for a little while until I switched back to Vuhdo. I still give it a solid rating for functionality.

Final Rating:☻☻☻☻☺ or 4/5 faces.

Pros:
  • NO CLICK CASTING, NO MODIFIER KEYS! ONLY BUTTONS :D
Cons:
  • Not as configurable as Vuhdo/Grid/Others
  • EARLY ALPHA!

Verttex's Thoughts:
I found this on curse (sorry guys, its currently only on there :( ) and immediately fell in love with the idea. I am a lazy healer so being able to use one hand is amazing :D

Hot Timers
In this section we will be reviewing the HOT and DOT timers used for healing.
Pros:
  • Shows all spells
  • Mostly made for druids but can be used for other classes.
  • Light-weight
  • Updated Often
Cons:
  • No multiple timers.
  • No way to filter.

Verttex's Thoughts:
Very well made addon. Currently use this in arenas for my healing priest.

Final Rating:☻☻☻☻☺ or 3/5 faces.

Pros:
  • Cast Bar AND Cooldowns
  • Vertical
  • Nicely Configurable
  • Updated Often
Cons:
  • LUA Errors often
  • Can be hard to super configure it.

Verttex's Thoughts:
Don't use this one a lot.

General Addons
This topic is about the addons healers use that don't really compete with anyother addon.

Decursive
NO IMAGE AVAILABLE BECAUSE DOLBY HATES ME :D
Pros:
  • Easy to use dispels using just two keys unless configured differently.
  • Updated Often
  • Nicely Configurable
  • Most healers use this is raids for easy dispels even if they aren't a needed thing for the fight.
Cons:
  • I currently don't like how the config menu is layed out.

Verttex's Thoughts:
I really didn't use this one until I got to a raid. During 5 mans unless it is NEEDED I wouldn't use it.

Final Rating:☻☻☻☻☺ or 3/5 faces.

Unkn 07-05-11 09:01 PM

Clique is not needed with Grid. You can easily make mouseover macros and you will never have to use Clique. That's how I've always done it, and it save you having to depend on yet another addon when patches hit.

Verttex 07-05-11 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unkn (Post 240937)

I am bad with macros.

litesung 07-05-11 09:58 PM

Great guide verttexx :)

Unkn 07-05-11 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verttex (Post 240938)
I am bad with macros.

/cast [@mouseover]SPELLNAME

:)

the end

Now you can cast the spells on all your frames, not just raid frames :) Heck even on name plates or characters in the game world

PS. I do like your write up :)

Verttex 07-05-11 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unkn (Post 240942)

the end

Now you can cast the spells on all your frames, not just raid frames :) Heck even on name plates or characters in the game world

Clique does that easier. :P

Verttex 07-05-11 10:56 PM

Currently Looking for MORE healer addons to review. :D

MidgetMage55 07-05-11 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unkn (Post 240942)

the end

Having used both methods extensively, I can say that each has its ups and downs.

Macros give flexibility. As stated you can use them nearly anywhere that responds to the mouseover conditional. The downside is you are placing the mouse over something then pressing a key. This can limit mobility if you do not do extensive rebinding of your keys .

The click casting method is somewhat the opposite. The mouse is already there so you can use its own buttons. Leaving your other hand free for movement/anything you might need not related to clicking. However as stated it is one more addon to keep up to date.

In the end it is preference. Personal play style is as always a factor.

One comment however on the overall write up. Overall the memory usage for an addon is not that critical. Unless someone is using bare bones amounts of ram (maxing it out) it won't make much difference. Mostly load times are effected. CPU cycles are far more important in overall performance.

Nice little review overall. :D

Verttex 07-05-11 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 (Post 240951)
Having used both methods extensively, I can say that each has its ups and downs.

Macros give flexibility. As stated you can use them nearly anywhere that responds to the mouseover conditional. The downside is you are placing the mouse over something then pressing a key. This can limit mobility if you do not do extensive rebinding of your keys .

The click casting method is somewhat the opposite. The mouse is already there so you can use its own buttons. Leaving your other hand free for movement/anything you might need not related to clicking. However as stated it is one more addon to keep up to date.

In the end it is preference. Personal play style is as always a factor.

One comment however on the overall write up. Overall the memory usage for an addon is not that critical. Unless someone is using bare bones amounts of ram (maxing it out) it won't make much difference. Mostly load times are effected. CPU cycles are far more important in overall performance.

Nice little review overall. :D

Via the options panel in Clique you can set up a blacklist which is amazing for ONLY healing using Grid.

Going to do a review on cooldown timers and hot timers for healing later.

Verttex 07-06-11 01:11 AM

Added new addons to the list.

Nibelheim 07-06-11 02:03 AM

It seems you've missed the most important healing addons of all.

Recount/Skada

Pros:
  • Shows you who is inferior in the ways of the Healer, giving you lots of pleasure as you make subtle (or not so subtle) hints to them with how they could maybe improve to one day get close to your numbers!
  • Spam guild/party chat with your latest HPS, make them jealous!
  • Gives you something interesting to watch so you don't get bored with that boss fight you're fighting for the 10th time while the DPS get your raid killed again.
  • Haven't got a party? No problem! These addons give you hours of solo entertainment as you spam yourself with heals over and over again seeing how high you can get your HPS.
  • And more!

Cons:
  • May cause depression if your Healing prowess is underpar.

Petrah 07-06-11 06:24 AM

Quote:

Clique has high memory usage.
Probably should remove that statement since it has no bearing on the performance of the addon. ;)

Other than that, I do like the writeup! I've tried them all, and Clique for healing is simply the bomb. :D

def9 07-06-11 07:43 AM

When I was healing hardcore with my druid in lich king I used ForteXorcistl for HoT's. So you could add a review for it if you wanted. I use clique with ouf_freebgrid as the screen layout.

Great review post!

Cladhaire 07-06-11 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unkn (Post 240937)

By the same token Clique works amazingly with any unit frames, not just Grid. There's so much more to the world than this post indicates..

Cladhaire 07-06-11 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petrah (Post 240967)
Probably should remove that statement since it has no bearing on the performance of the addon. ;)

Other than that, I do like the writeup! I've tried them all, and Clique for healing is simply the bomb. :D

Also, I'd like to dispute the fact that Clique has high memory usage. I get a whopping 158KiB with everything (including the GUI) loaded, none of which impacts the game at all. With 45 bindings and a lot of caching to make things quicker when changing binding-sets, it weighs in at about 200KiB, almost all of that strings. Perhaps you'd like to explain why that's a problem or even falls CLOSE to the memory usage of the other addons you've listed?

Kolakhan 07-06-11 08:48 AM

Healium works like a champ! I threw all the rest out including Decursive which I didn't need anymore. Don't have to worry about any key combinations. You just watch the health and left click the spell you want. What could be easier? If they are out of range you see it right away. This alt, shift, ctrl key combo, remember which spell is which key, is BS! I can size everything for larger groups as needed. As far as early Alpha not sure what you are talking about I have been using it for several months flawlessly.

red8981 07-06-11 10:17 AM

I used Healbot before grid before vuhdo.

I believe Healbot has another pro, share settings with another player in-game.(I am not sure if it still exist anymore, i switched to grid at the end of lich king)

Grid is a very flexible addon, since the layout is small and neat. There are too many plug-in/module, so it was hard for me to manage all that.

Vuhdo is the one I am currently using, and I like the direction arrow on the out of range players. Make me hunting them easier.

I used healium a few times in the past, but it really reduce my healing abilities in a hardcore raiding guild.
Clicking it on the side always slower than my key pressing =P

jaliborc 07-06-11 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nibelheim (Post 240960)

Recount/Skada

Pros:
  • Shows you who is inferior in the ways of the Healer, giving you lots of pleasure as you make subtle (or not so subtle) hints to them with how they could maybe improve to one day get close to your numbers!
  • Gives you something interesting to watch so you don't get bored with that boss fight you're fighting for the 10th time while the DPS get your raid killed again.
  • Haven't got a party? No problem! These addons give you hours of solo entertainment as you spam yourself with heals over and over again seeing how high you can get your HPS.
  • And more!

Cons:

That is a 5/5!

Verttex 07-06-11 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nibelheim (Post 240960)

Recount/Skada

Pros:
  • And more!

Cons:

Very nice review, may add to the final post. :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petrah (Post 240967)

Currently many people do suffer from high memory useage from Clique. It really all depends on the computer its on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by def9 (Post 240970)
When I was healing hardcore with my druid in lich king I used ForteXorcistl for HoT's. So you could add a review for it if you wanted. I use clique with ouf_freebgrid as the screen layout.

Great review post!

I used to use this for just the cooldown timer but now use CoolLine

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cladhaire (Post 240974)
By the same token Clique works amazingly with any unit frames, not just Grid. There's so much more to the world than this post indicates..

Blacklist options FTW!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cladhaire (Post 240975)
Also, I'd like to dispute the fact that Clique has high memory usage. I get a whopping 158KiB with everything (including the GUI) loaded, none of which impacts the game at all. With 45 bindings and a lot of caching to make things quicker when changing binding-sets, it weighs in at about 200KiB, almost all of that strings. Perhaps you'd like to explain why that's a problem or even falls CLOSE to the memory usage of the other addons you've listed?

Well currently it runs for around 2MiB for me with LUI at 7MiB

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kolakhan (Post 240976)
Healium works like a champ! I threw all the rest out including Decursive which I didn't need anymore. Don't have to worry about any key combinations. You just watch the health and left click the spell you want. What could be easier? If they are out of range you see it right away. This this alt, shift, ctrl key combo, remember which spell is which key, is BS! I can size everything for larger groups as needed. As far as early Alpha not sure what you are talking about I have been using it for several months flawlessly.

It is updated often but is very very new in the healing addons category

Quote:

Originally Posted by red8981 (Post 240980)
I used Healbot before grid before vuhdo.

I believe Healbot has another pro, share settings with another player in-game.(I am not sure if it still exist anymore, i switched to grid at the end of lich king)

Grid is a very flexible addon, since the layout is small and neat. There are too many plug-in/module, so it was hard for me to manage all that.

Vuhdo is the one I am currently using, and I like the direction arrow on the out of range players. Make me hunting them easier.

I used healium a few times in the past, but it really reduce my healing abilities in a hardcore raiding guild.
Clicking it on the side always slower than my key pressing =P

I belevie Healium should only be used in a 5 man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaliborc (Post 240981)
That is a 5/5!

Sure is.

Long post ftw :D

Nibelheim 07-06-11 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verttex (Post 240992)

Do you have an addon that can separate loaded dependencies from an AddOns memory usage? Since Clique is fairly early in the alphabet, it's libs may be adding onto it's memory usage even though they're supporting other addons.

Cladhaire 07-06-11 03:49 PM

Quote:

Very nice review, may add to the final post. :P

Currently many people do suffer from high memory useage from Clique. It really all depends on the computer its on.

I'm the author of Clique. I've been the author of Clique from the day it was released. I have never once, in the entirety of the time that Clique has existed, had a single complaint about the memory usage of Clique. As the author, I would be interested in a single report you have from a single user, so I can work to address any shortcomings that might exist in the addon.

Also, the notion that high memory usage depends on the computer is a bit absurd. The effect that memory usage might have on an individual certainly can be affected by that (minimally, and I actually have done the research), but Clique is going to take no more memory on those machines than on any other. Furthermore, you'd be hard pressed to find a single unit frame addon that uses anywhere near as little memory as Clique uses. So consider Healbot, which is working on top of the default unit frames, as opposed to Clique that works with it. It's a non-issue, and its silly to include it.

Quote:

Please provide some information, or at the very least a screenshot indicating that this is the case. Then do

/run collectgarbage("collect"); collectgarbage("collect")

And screenshot again. I'm happy to look into any issues, if you do the bare minimum and actually tell me about it =)

Thanks for a nice post.

Tithulta 07-06-11 06:52 PM

Clique? High Memory????! hogwash

Just wanted to state I've ran Clique for ...gosh...i dunno a year or more for sure... Before 4.2 I was using about 128mb worth of addons. I Watch my top 15 memory users to see who is guilty so i can turn them off when i raid if at all possible.

I've never seen clique on my top 15 memory users.

Verttex 07-06-11 07:16 PM

Ok. I have found the problem. I edited Clique back in 4.0 to work and it totally screwed up my memory usage

Verttex 07-06-11 09:16 PM

Added Decursive review.

aceman67 07-07-11 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verttex
Healbot
Verttex's Thoughts:
After awhile of using it, you figure out you need something MORE featured.

I couldn't disagree with you more.

I've been using this addon for well over 3 years and I've tried other similar addons and my Healing through-put plummeted and people died, My GM even said once "Your not using heal-bot, are you?". No other addon as allowed me to come with in a Country Mile of my performance I can dish out with Heal-Bot.

I've never had any of the issues you mentioned with Healbot, as I keep a pretty simple set up (one of the default layouts modified for size and colors, nothing else changed).

The only problem I do have with it is getting it to use Rebirth on dead party members in combat, but thats a small gripe as I'm pretty good at getting one off in seconds of people dying anyways.

It has everything I need: Something that displays health, a way to apply my various tools of the trade, my HoTs, threat levels (for pro-active healing), Raid Markers (for use with DBM) and what ever debuff I can remove. What more could you ask for?

Unkn 07-07-11 01:08 AM

If you are talking about cooldown mods and things of that sort, this thread is going to get very long for healers.

Everyone has their own set up. I tend to run with the same 3 basic addons for everyone of my classes, with them all configured for the different toons and rolls specs.

Like the cooldown watching... ForteExorcist, Cooline, Sexycooldowns... all with basic same concept with slightly different end effects.

I use Sexycooldowns + Eventhorizon to keep track of things, along with PowerAuras to watch procs and where certain spells are ... ie Lifebloom, PoM, Earth Shield.

I've always found my healing UIs to be way more extensive than when I'm playing any other roll. I do need to try decursive tho, I've never played with it. Just mouseover and click for the dispell.

Verttex 07-07-11 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceman67 (Post 241017)
I couldn't disagree with you more.

I've been using this addon for well over 3 years and I've tried other similar addons and my Healing through-put plummeted and people died, My GM even said once "Your not using heal-bot, are you?". No other addon as allowed me to come with in a Country Mile of my performance I can dish out with Heal-Bot.

I've never had any of the issues you mentioned with Healbot, as I keep a pretty simple set up (one of the default layouts modified for size and colors, nothing else changed).

The only problem I do have with it is getting it to use Rebirth on dead party members in combat, but thats a small gripe as I'm pretty good at getting one off in seconds of people dying anyways.

It has everything I need: Something that displays health, a way to apply my various tools of the trade, my HoTs, threat levels (for pro-active healing), Raid Markers (for use with DBM) and what ever debuff I can remove. What more could you ask for?

/cast [@mouseover] Rebirth

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unkn (Post 241019)
If you are talking about cooldown mods and things of that sort, this thread is going to get very long for healers.

Everyone has their own set up. I tend to run with the same 3 basic addons for everyone of my classes, with them all configured for the different toons and rolls specs.

Like the cooldown watching... ForteExorcist, Cooline, Sexycooldowns... all with basic same concept with slightly different end effects.

I use Sexycooldowns + Eventhorizon to keep track of things, along with PowerAuras to watch procs and where certain spells are ... ie Lifebloom, PoM, Earth Shield.

I've always found my healing UIs to be way more extensive than when I'm playing any other roll. I do need to try decursive tho, I've never played with it. Just mouseover and click for the dispell.

I am thinking of making seperate threads for each.

Petrah 07-08-11 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cladhaire (Post 240975)

:confused:

Since you quoted me, it appears that you are replying to me. I never said any of that about Clique. :( In fact, my statement meant the opposite. I use your addon and have never seen it use much memory at all. :(

Petrah 07-08-11 02:06 PM

Quote:

/sigh

No one "suffers" from high memory usage. The only time there is an issue is if the CPU cycles are crazy or if there is a memory leak, and Clique does not have either of those problems. It's been said millions of times... never judge an addons worth by the amount of memory it uses. Memory usage says absolutely nothing about the performance of an addon.

Cladhaire 07-08-11 02:06 PM

I know, I just honestly couldn't be bothered to dig through a quote of his entire post to find that bit again, sorry I should have changed the name. I definitely saw what you said, and appreciatd it!

Clyde_Mobster 07-08-11 05:58 PM

1 vote for moving this thread

Guess i'll start out with 'kudos for trying?' ...but this thread is neither a guide nor helpful info. It's a very one sided opinion about a couple of mods for healing and some other stuff thrown in for flavor. This is general wow chat at best, and should be moved & or deleted. This is a mockery to most of those addon authors and am surprised it has lasted this long.

This is not a flame, it's a WARNING to anyone who has read it thinking to receive good advice on some healing addons: Disregard everything he's said, try the mods for yourself find out which you like.

Just for kicks though, "...currently it runs for around 2MiB for me..." MiB = Milobyte?

Nibelheim 07-08-11 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde_Mobster (Post 241133)
Just for kicks though, "...currently it runs for around 2MiB for me..." MiB = Milobyte?

MiB = Mebibyte, the binary version of a megabyte (2^20 or 1048576).

Seerah 07-08-11 08:07 PM

@Clyde_Mobster:
I moved this thread to its current forum. (I forget where Verttex had placed it originally.) While his post is his opinion, he was still attempting to provide a guide to some addons in order to give helpful information to other healers. The post does not need to pass a review board to be approved for this section. :)

If Verttex chooses to revise his original OP to account for the discussion contained in this thread thus far, that is up to him. Though, most of what has been posted in this thread have been opinions. ;)

Keep it civil folks, and remember that this section of the forums is here to help spread information. That includes sharing what you have learned with other players to help better their experience - whether it be your opinion or pure, unbiased fact. ;)

Verttex 07-11-11 07:55 AM

Sorry guys for not updating the guide. I will ASAP. But currently I am in the black hole of internet connectivity. Meaning that posting this took about (edit 4) times. I also did not bring my computer which I game on with, so no games here. I will change the part abouy the memory usage because as you can see there are several posts above me that say to do so. I am currently typing this on my android epic and my fingers are starting to hurt so yea.

Toodles,
Verttex

Verttex 07-24-11 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verttex (Post 241273)
Sorry guys for not updating the guide. I will ASAP. But currently I am in the black hole of internet connectivity. Meaning that posting this took about (edit 4) times. I also did not bring my computer which I game on with, so no games here. I will change the part abouy the memory usage because as you can see there are several posts above me that say to do so. I am currently typing this on my android epic and my fingers are starting to hurt so yea.

Toodles,
Verttex

Still haven't updated, so sorry. I was meaning too but it has fallen from number 5 on my todo to number 70. Eh. Anyway, I am taking any reviews on anything to add, just pm.

ballagarba 07-24-11 07:21 AM

Might want to take a look at Aptechka. It's a bit towards the advanced user since it doesn't have an in-game config, but is highly configurable. Probably one of the most memory and cpu efficient raid frames out there.

Verttex 10-05-11 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballagarba (Post 242141)
Might want to take a look at Aptechka. It's a bit towards the advanced user since it doesn't have an in-game config, but is highly configurable. Probably one of the most memory and cpu efficient raid frames out there.

Not a big fan of lua-editing addons. I have used it before though. I do like it but it still needs some work.

Verttex 10-28-11 03:14 PM

Quick Update On This Thread, Need Addons To Review, Post Here Please :D