WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Authoring Discussion (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Minimap tracking events? (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15251)

Staxx 03-10-08 11:31 AM

Minimap tracking events?

I am looking for an event which fires when your tracking skill (Whatever it be, hunters abilites, find herbs, mining etc) locates something in the minimap (And puts a yellow circle on it) - Is there such a thing? Thanks in advance!

Seerah 03-10-08 12:39 PM

no, there's not.

Layrajha 03-10-08 01:09 PM

I know that there are ways to track the points of interest on the world map or on the battleground map. Unfortunately, I would think that it's impossible for the minimap, since (afaik) the tracking DoTs and everything that appears on the minimap is treated at a lower level than the API you can use, and you're only given the resulting texture. No frame is created or whatsoever.

Kaomie 03-10-08 07:02 PM

Ah but you forgot the trick we mentioned a couple months back.
Every now and then take the minimap, resize it to a minimum and set it to be transparent, move it underneath the mouse which should fire the event you need if a tracking dot is present, put minimap back in place and make it visible again. Not sure if it still works or not, or even if it has ever really worked efficiently, but there was an addon for it at some point.

robthedude 03-11-08 12:47 AM

wow, thats genius, a little rough, but thinking well out of the box

So where's this addon?

Layrajha 03-11-08 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaomie (Post 85040)
Every now and then take the minimap, resize it to a minimum and set it to be transparent, move it underneath the mouse which should fire the event you need if a tracking dot is present, put minimap back in place and make it visible again. Not sure if it still works or not, or even if it has ever really worked efficiently, but there was an addon for it at some point.

Hahaha :D Gotta love that one.

littlebuddha79 03-11-08 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaomie (Post 85040)

I remember what you are talking about Kaomie. I am the one that ran across that mod and posted the link on the forum. Unfortunately, I can't find the mod or that old thread anymore. I tried to search for it again, but the search options no longer include the option to search the description of an addon. The way I found it the first time is to type "minimap tracking" into the search window and check the search description box before initiating the search. Can't do that anymore (unless I just can't find the option) since the site got it's new look. I'll keep searching though.

Kaomie 03-11-08 08:39 AM

Whoops sorry the thread is here.
But the addon (TrackAlert) seems to be gone with the recent WoWInt oldies cleanup.

Seerah 03-11-08 09:03 AM

@Kaomie: I didn't forget, it's just that that method is a pita. :)

@littlebudda79: you can still search the description. Go to the find tab and you'll see the check boxes under the search box.

littlebuddha79 03-11-08 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seerah (Post 85076)

@littlebudda79: you can still search the description. Go to the find tab and you'll see the check boxes under the search box.

OOO...goodie, goodie...thanks Seerah. I've been looking for that.

Layrajha 03-11-08 09:27 AM

Quote:

It's funny enough to be worth coding, imo! And pita is good :<

Kaomie 03-11-08 09:52 AM

Quote:

But we are in the Developer-Discussions/General-Authoring, nothing can be too scary :rolleyes:
Now if this was General-Discussion/Interface-Requests I would not have mentioned it ;)

PS: "oh my gawd she said pita :eek:"

friiar 03-12-08 12:38 PM

minimap tracking

is there a way to play an audible when a gold dot appears on minimap do to any tracking skill? i am just interesting in an audio alert when i am flying around i am missing something.

my end goal if this is possible to assign specific sound files based on known gold dot names. assuming the interface had the ability to define an ascii string on the query to play a specific .wav file. that way i could record things like "True Silver" as a .wav to play. when a minimap gets a dot for "True Silver" ore it would play the defined .wav file

Layrajha 03-12-08 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by friiar (Post 85131)
is there a way to play an audible when a gold dot appears on minimap do to any tracking skill? i am just interesting in an audio alert when i am flying around i am missing something.

my end goal if this is possible to assign specific sound files based on known gold dot names. assuming the interface had the ability to define an ascii string on the query to play a specific .wav file. that way i could record things like "True Silver" as a .wav to play. when a minimap gets a dot for "True Silver" ore it would play the defined .wav file

Well, read the posts above yours :)

Edit:
To answer your second question, the part about playing sounds is really not a problem. CF http://www.wowwiki.com/API_PlaySoundFile

Kaomie 03-12-08 02:21 PM

@friiar
This is exactly what we are talking about, and the short answer is no.
The long answer is maybe, but someone will have to code it again since we lost the previous implementation of the idea.

friiar 03-12-08 02:29 PM

thanks.

i didn't know what the old mod did. i thought it was a visual indicator or something.

Layrajha 03-12-08 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaomie (Post 85133)
The long answer is maybe, but someone will have to code it again since we lost the previous implementation of the idea.

Though the idea is 95% of the job here, really. The implementation is probably not extremely hard, don't you think? (at least to get a messy thing that works roughly ^^).