WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   MoP Beta archived threads (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Addons work in MoP beta? (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43255)

wowunderachiever 04-13-12 12:31 PM

Addons work in MoP beta?

I guess I could always just give it a try. Anything I need to know about using addons with the MoP beta other than that I can't expect them to work being its beta?

lerb 04-13-12 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wowunderachiever (Post 255438)
I guess I could always just give it a try. Anything I need to know about using addons with the MoP beta other than that I can't expect them to work being its beta?

Well it's hard to use them at all now that they're currently disabled in the beta :p

wowunderachiever 04-13-12 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lerb (Post 255439)
Well it's hard to use them at all now that they're currently disabled in the beta :p

Ah! Thanks! You just saved me wasted time trying. Definitely good to know.

lerb 04-13-12 01:21 PM

You're welcome! :)

Lulzintosh 05-10-12 04:02 AM

Just a question, addons will be enabled after the BETA right?

Dridzt 05-10-12 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolcocks (Post 256267)

I would hope they get enabled soon, definitely before beta ends.

Last build that I tested still has the scripting environment disabled.

Talyrius 05-10-12 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolcocks (Post 256267)

You do realize that this was an April Fools' Day joke, right?

Wildbreath 05-12-12 03:05 AM

<snip>

also

/dump (function() RunScript=function(a) loadstring(a)(); end; end)()

AcidWeb 05-12-12 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildbreath (Post 256308)
<snip>

All modifications of client executable is forbidden by EULA.

Haleth 05-12-12 06:53 AM

As a small reminder, any way or attempt to currently make addons work in MoP beta is not allowed.

Wildbreath 05-12-12 07:36 AM

Sorry for my previous post, guys. Yes, i read and remember EULA
But our community unbeatable ;)
/dump command (prev) allow you make macro like a /run, i hope that this allowed.
Or all methods to use lua in beta isn't allowed?

fixitman333 05-12-12 01:43 PM

Considering the purpose of BETA is testing, I think it is safe to assume we are only supposed to test what we are given. If they want any additional LUA testing done, they will likely make that known. Circumventing the present limitations doesn't seem to be a very effective way of testing IMO.

Haleth 05-12-12 02:24 PM

Indeed. The default UI needs testing as well and if it becomes a common practice to run addons before they are intended to be allowed by Blizzard, certain aspects might go untested.

Darxon 05-12-12 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haleth (Post 256312)
As a small reminder, any way or attempt to currently make addons work in MoP beta is not allowed.

Not true?...since enabling addons doesnt modify the game files it edits the process as it running...

Phanx 05-12-12 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildbreath (Post 256313)
/dump command (prev) allow you make macro like a /run, i hope that this allowed.

As far as I know those commands (and others like them, such as /script) are still disabled.

Beta testing exists to help Blizzard find the bugs in their software and fix them before release. They do open the scripting environment toward the end of the beta as a courtesy to addon authors, so we can get our addons up to date before millions of users start crying about them being out of date, but that's really not the point of beta testing.

If you want to see the upcoming content and help Blizzard beta test their game, use the beta client. If you only want to play with Lua scripting and addons, use the release client. There will be plenty of time to update your addons for the expansion's API changes later.

Haleth 05-12-12 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darxon (Post 256319)
Not true?...since enabling addons doesnt modify the game files it edits the process as it running...

Such modifications are considered hacks by Blizzard, and yes, we've talked to them about it.

I think the answer is clear enough - no addons until they say so. :)