WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Graphics Help (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Modding an isolated WoW (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7091)

NGVertigo 12-04-06 12:14 PM

Modding an isolated WoW

Hello,

I'm looking for some way to make an isolated mod to allow me to test bringing in custom models.

Not trying to modify my WoW game in any way, I just want to create a little instance that I can run on my computer and be able to test and figure out how to bring in custom model designs I've made.

Anyone have any ideas or know where I might go to find out how?

Bouvi 12-04-06 12:45 PM

I just made a copy of my WoW folder and use it for UI designs then when I am done I trash the WTF and addon folders and just start over again. Works great.

NGVertigo 12-04-06 12:54 PM

So, I should be able to copy the whole World of Warcraft folder in the program files folder and move it elsewhere, thus having 2 copies of the game.

The copied one I can modify to what I need it to be?

'cause my aim is to import my own models and textures. I'm doing this to see if I can make a working race. Just to say I can.

Bouvi 12-04-06 12:55 PM

That is what I do. However be warned what you are planning on doing sounds against the TOS.

Cairenn 12-04-06 01:03 PM

Yes ... yes it does ... and things like that will not only get you banned from WoW, but they'll get you banned from this site too ... obey the rules.

NGVertigo 12-04-06 01:03 PM

I understand about the TOS.

See, at school, I'm learning 3D Game Art and Animation. We use the Valve engine to make our own little mods based in half-life and counterstrike.

So, I'm thinking that if I could show that I understand how to import models and textures and environments into the WoW type engine, it'd be a good learning curve.

I don't plan to make this available to anyone to play with or nothing, it's purely for learning.

And yes, I have a legit copy of WoW, and I play WoW by Blizzard's subscription. I've played hardcore since open beta and I wouldn't want to mess up the game to jeopardize my characters I've worked on so much.

Bouvi 12-04-06 01:06 PM

I would venture a guess it does not matter what it is for. I recommend not doing it to WoW as they might be able to detect a model change and ban your account.

NGVertigo 12-04-06 01:11 PM

also, I'm merely seeing what is possible; what my options are.

I've downloaded a copy of the wowmodelviewer and am intrigued with how it draws out the various models and you can play their animations, and I feel that showing something like that would be a good example of what I understand of 3D design and implementation.

hmm...

Okay, what if I was to take wowmodelviewer, but instead of having it open wow files, I have it open my own?

Can't be any problem there, could it?

Cairenn 12-04-06 01:14 PM

That is likely to be a safer option ...

Bouvi 12-04-06 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGVertigo
Okay, what if I was to take wowmodelviewer, but instead of having it open wow files, I have it open my own?

Can't be any problem there, could it?

I would not think there would be there as long as you are not modifying WoW in anyway. But I am not a lawyer.

Hellslayer 12-04-06 02:37 PM

And what is when I have a way where Worlfofwarcraft gets automatically my skins/models and i dont need to replace the orginally(so I dont tuch the orginal mpq), is this against the tos too?

Bouvi 12-04-06 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellslayer
And what is when I have a way where Worlfofwarcraft gets automatically my skins/models and i dont need to replace the orginally(so I dont tuch the orginal mpq), is this against the tos too?

I could swear that I just replied to this in another thread. I am soooo confused.

From the terms of use:

You agree that you will not (i) modify or cause to be modified any files that are a part of a World of Warcraft installation; (ii) create or use cheats, "mods", and/or hacks, or any other third-party software designed to modify the World of Warcraft experience;

Anything that replaces in-game models breaks the Terms of Service.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/legal/termsofuse.html

For the full document.

Hellslayer 12-04-06 03:07 PM

Ok thx thats great news:D

Hmm but 3 or 4Patches ago you could place your files easiely in the data Folder, and that was legal as far as I know.

Layrajha 12-04-06 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellslayer
Hmm but 3 or 4Patches ago you could place your files easiely in the data Folder, and that was legal as far as I know.

I believe that you it isn't forbidden to put files in the data folder if they don't overwrite the normal files. Some of them will be loaded instead of Blizzard's files contained in the .mpq files, but you won't have modified any file from the game, and this system cannot be used to change anything (I haven't investigated it much, but it worked for the musics and i heard it didn't work for the textures, which probably suits Blizzard's wishes).
I'm not a lawyer either, and as what I'm saying brings us closer to the frontier between "allowed" and "forbidden", being careful would mean not trying this anyway.

Hellslayer 12-04-06 03:57 PM

hmm I better stfu myself here before i get banned:p