WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbonite Archive (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   FPS dropping to 2 if I disconnect, error messages (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45744)

matronedea 01-28-13 01:07 AM

FPS dropping to 2 if I disconnect, error messages

If I disconnect and reconnect (which happens semi-regularly, Time Warner is terrible) and I'm in a fight, WoW won't go higher than 2 FPS. I'll get 4 or 5 error messages about Carbonite, and the Carbonite logo won't leave the top center until I'm done with combat. Once I leave combat, the logo will go to the right and my FPS will get back to normal (40-50).

I've checked to make sure Carbonite is updated, as well as all my drivers. After I uninstalled Carbonite, the problem went away.

Clamsoda 01-28-13 01:50 AM

The issue lies in the fact that you are in combat. Typically, when a player logs into WoW, AddOns perform a lot of functions that cannot be performed in combat. As you log in, Carbonite is trying to perform these functions, and being denied by the client. This essentially causes the AddOn to break until such a time that these functions can be performed (dropping combat typically). There isn't a lot you can do about it, other than using more conservative AddOns, or not DCing as much (I know this isn't your fault).

That being said, I am not sure your FPS should be dropping to 2, but, then again we don't know a lot about your computer. If you are using an EXTREMELY old computer, then you may well be entirely out of luck.

matronedea 01-28-13 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clamsoda (Post 272474)
The issue lies in the fact that you are in combat. Typically, when a player logs into WoW, AddOns perform a lot of functions that cannot be performed in combat. As you log in, Carbonite is trying to perform these functions, and being denied by the client. This essentially causes the AddOn to break until such a time that these functions can be performed (dropping combat typically). There isn't a lot you can do about it, other than using more conservative AddOns, or not DCing as much (I know this isn't your fault).

That being said, I am not sure your FPS should be dropping to 2, but, then again we don't know a lot about your computer. If you are using an EXTREMELY old computer, then you may well be entirely out of luck.

Do you know of any AddOns that are similar to Carbonite but more conservative?

Also, here are my specs:
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 3610QM @ 2.30GHz 63 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
6.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. N56VM (SOCKET 0) 64 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Hard Drives
699GB Seagate ST9750420AS (SATA) 40 °C

10leej 01-28-13 03:30 AM

carbonite is the only carbonite atm that I'm aware of (though honestly I have no idea what carbonite even does other than it has a fancy map to it).

JimJoBlue 01-28-13 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matronedea (Post 272475)

Also, here are my specs:
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 3610QM @ 2.30GHz 63 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
6.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. N56VM (SOCKET 0) 64 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Hard Drives
699GB Seagate ST9750420AS (SATA) 40 °C

Holy cow! I wish that was my computers spec's. :eek:

Alas there is nothing you can do to stop your problem from happening. Best advice I could give is to try to drop combat as soon as you can. Blizzard are getting tighter with their restrictions.

I noticed your CPU and Motherboard are running a little hot, while it's not a problem now and it won't adversely effect anything for a while you may want to check your heat-sinks for dust and grime. If they are clear I'd look at getting some extra cooling or re-positioning your case for better ventilation.

All Intel chips have an automatic throttle feature that will scale the cycles of your cpu back if the temperature gets above 70°C. This is to prevent lasting damage to the CPU and to stop burnouts.

If this is happening while in game you will definitely notice the difference.
I had a similar problem with my laptop. It turned out to be the thermal paste had degraded and dried out and a good 1 inch square dust ball was clogging my heat-sink.

Clamsoda 01-28-13 05:05 AM

With a computer like that, you should never be dropping to 2 FPS, regardless of temperature.

It seems like Carbonite isn't failing safely in combat.

That being said, I can't think of any alternatives.

Hopefully Rythal can speak on behalf of Carbonite, because it is almost certainly not your computer.

Rythal 01-29-13 12:34 AM

no it's not the computer, it's blizzard blocking actions during combat... if your first logging in carbonite doesn't even have a chance to notice your in combat and wait.. it just immediately starts failing during it's initializations.