WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Graphics Help (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Looking for an artist not called me (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46085)

10leej 03-21-13 12:07 AM

Looking for an artist not called me

As I've discovered I'm pretty terrible at drawing with a mouse so I'm hoping someone can make me some border for my unitframes.

That's the general look I'm looking for (it's the !Beautycase border, and yes I know I have to work on the petframe a little to make it a bit more professional looking)

Pretty with the last 4 updates to whoaUnitframes I've determined I hate applying my modifications (which is really just a border and some slight adjustments to the bar sizes/position) and I'm looking for a way to streamline the process a little. Wouldn't mind if it's PNG or BLP

Phanx 03-21-13 12:10 AM

I'm not really sure what you're asking for. Even if someone does something (?) with some (?) texture, you're still going to have to use Lua code to apply the texture(s) to something (?) in-game. If you're modifying an existing addon, you're still going to have to reapply your modifications every time you update it, or use an external addon to hook into it and apply your modifications. Can you be more specific about what kind of textures you want, and how they will solve your problem?

10leej 03-21-13 12:19 AM

Pretty just asking someone to make a blp for me so I can replace the unitframe textures. That way I pretty much don't have to do anything at all when whoaUnitframes gets an update other than just copy paste the .lua file and not go dig through it to apply my changes.

Or they can leave it as PNG and I can convert it (I have had bad luck converting tga's for some reason or another)

Phanx 03-21-13 03:33 AM

Oh I see. Can you post the addon's original texture file + your border file?

10leej 03-21-13 09:23 AM

Well I use a blank texture atm and the border file is created using !Beautycase

then in the .lua file I put borders around the different frames using !Beautycase's CreateBorder command and adjusting the border size with another command generated by !Beautycase

player frame for example, and I have to check for events for the other frames (just for the portrait border due to me using adapt for 3d portraits)

Lua Code:
  1. PlayerPortraitModelModel:CreateBorder(12,1,1,1)
  2. PlayerPortraitModelModel:SetBorderPadding(3)
  3. PlayerFrameHealthBar:CreateBorder(12,1,1,1)
  4. PlayerFrameHealthBar:SetBorderPadding(3)
  5. PlayerFrameManaBar:CreateBorder(12,1,1,1)
  6. PlayerFrameManaBar:SetBorderPadding(3)

Events are shown here (mostly because I don't feel like digging that stuff out)

Kendian 03-21-13 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Something like this? Bear in mind this is rough, I just woke up, and am on first cup of coffee~ :o

10leej 03-21-13 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendian (Post 274955)
Something like this? Bear in mind this is rough, I just woke up, and am on first cup of coffee~ :o

Exactly :)

Plus that's already better than what I spent half the night trying.

Kendian 03-21-13 12:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the blp file, play around with it and tell me where/how you'd like it changed.

10leej 03-21-13 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well it seems a little backwards, unless I replaced the wrong textures (entirely possible). So I converted it and flipped it around in gimp, looks a little off center, but the sizes look about right. I'll spend some more time fiddling with it when i get a chance, but I gots to work now :(

SDPhantom 03-21-13 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10leej (Post 274919)
I have had bad luck converting tga's for some reason or another

I've noticed a lot of image editors save TGAs as 24-bit instead of the 32-bit version WoW needs to use. GIMP is one such editor that is capable of saving 32-bit TGAs and I use that constantly to convert my PNG images.

Kendian 03-21-13 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not really sure, but I THINK the default player frame is the targeting frame reversed...if so, this one is a tad cleaner, and is positioned as correct as I could.

10leej 03-21-13 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendian (Post 274991)
Not really sure, but I THINK the default player frame is the targeting frame reversed...if so, this one is a tad cleaner, and is positioned as correct as I could.

Yeah it is. You also look top be one pixel too low and a little too far right.

EDIT:
Cleaned up the pet frame a little, (not sure exactly how you taking these images)

Quote:

I've noticed a lot of image editors save TGAs as 24-bit instead of the 32-bit version WoW needs to use. GIMP is one such editor that is capable of saving 32-bit TGAs and I use that constantly to convert my PNG images.
Yeah I try to use gimp but I'm terrible at drawing with a mouse >.> it's when i convert tga to blp is when I have problems. nothing seems wrong with the alpha layer, but all I ever get out of it is a green image.

Phanx 03-21-13 09:42 PM

Make sure the image dimensions are powers of 2 -- 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, etc. -- otherwise WoW can't read it.

Also, WoW can read TGA files just fine, so there's not really any reason to convert to BLP, especially since BLP files are generally larger files than their TGA counterparts.

10leej 03-21-13 10:20 PM

Replacing textures requires blp I thought.

semlar 03-21-13 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10leej (Post 275021)
Replacing textures requires blp I thought.

Nope, I've always used targas, mostly since photoshop can save directly to that format.

There's no reason to convert from a tga to a blp.

10leej 03-22-13 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semlar (Post 275022)
Nope, I've always used targas, mostly since photoshop can save directly to that format.

There's no reason to convert from a tga to a blp.

Hmm never realized that.

10leej 03-23-13 09:58 PM

Anyone know which one the petframe is? Haven't been able to find it yet. I'm think it's UI-Player-Portrait but I haven't found it yet.

SDPhantom 03-24-13 10:01 AM

If you're leaving all the code to the default UI, it's using Interface\TargetingFrame\UI-SmallTargetingFrame for the petframe.

10leej 03-25-13 08:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And now it appears that my petframe won't convert to blp or tga correctly. Keeping getting the cursed green rectangle.

Phanx 03-25-13 08:38 PM

177x66 are not valid dimensions for images in WoW. Both dimensions must be powers of 2.