WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   AddOn Search/Requests (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Auto Macro/Keybind Backup (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44560)

Rammoth 09-30-12 02:47 AM

Auto Macro/Keybind Backup

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there is an addon or software out there that will automatically backup Macros and Keybindings for when updating a UI package, to prevent loss of them. It would be easier than having to do it manually every time.

If there isn't an addon or software that will do that, could I request it? I can't figure out how to make one myself. I also can't find one. I am still working on several projects at the moment, including my own addon and going to release some more of my own soon that I am working on, so I don't really have the time to create one even if I knew how. That's why I'm going to request.

Phanx 09-30-12 08:26 PM

An addon would be useless for this purpose, because (1) the addon's data would be stored with all other addons' data in the WTF folder, which is usually deleted as part of installing a compilation, and (2) the addon would not have any way to know when you were about to install/update anything.

You could easily do this with a batch script (.bat file) on Windows, but it would require some customization by the user to handle (1) their WoW install path and (2) their WoW account name. Players with multiple WoW accounts would need further customizations to copy files from multiple locations. Overall I don't think this would be significantly less hassle (especially for users unfamiliar with batch scripts) than just copying and pasting the files manually.

An executable program could do it too, but would be much more complicated to write, and would have the significant downside of being an exectuable program, which (1) you would have to convince WoWI to let you include in your compliation package, and (2) convince users it was safe and not a keylogger when they've been told a million times never to run exectuables in addons.

How often are users really updating the compilation, anyway? Users should be updating the individual addons using the Curse Client or MMO Minion (or doing it by hand); you shouldn't be uploading a 25MB+ package and having hundreds of users download a 25MB+ package and reinstall their whole UI every time any addon is updated. If you're using custom code, you should consider having two downloads: the base package with the WTF folder, and the "update" package that only includes the code updates. Users who already have your compilation installed should use the update package; only new users should download the whole thing.

Jarod24 10-01-12 04:53 AM

1. Macros are actually stored on the server, not locally.
2. Keybinds and other stuff like addons settings are stored locally.

I personally use a program called SyncToy made by Microsoft to backup my whole WTF folder to another location, that way i can easily recover keybinds or any addon settings if something goes wrong.

I run this manually from time to time, but you could automate this of corse to run maybe once every time you launch wow (batch file), or once a day with a scheduled task in windows.

Link to SyncToy: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=15155

Rammoth 10-01-12 07:41 AM

Thanks guys, that is very helpful and informative information, and basically my question has been answered, thanks again.

Phanx 10-01-12 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarod24 (Post 265512)
1. Macros are actually stored on the server, not locally.
2. Keybinds and other stuff like addons settings are stored locally.

That's not actually correct. Macros and keybinds are always stored locally. They may also be stored on the server, if you have those features enabled. If you log in with no local macro/keybind settings in your WTF/Account/<AccountName> folder, and you do have sync enabled for those items, your client will download the ones you had saved on the server. If you log in with completely different macro/keybind settings, however, your client will not overwrite them with the ones from the server; instead, it will overwrite the server copies with the new local copies.

Even if a compilation does not include copies of the local macro/keybind settings files, you can't guarantee that the user has server sync turned on.

suicidalkatt 10-01-12 05:35 PM

Create a text document with this inside, changing the directories to your choosing.
Code:

@echo OFF
cls
del "D:\UIBackup\AddOns\" /y
del "D:\UIBackup\WTF\" /y
xcopy "D:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\*.*" "D:\UIBackup\AddOns\*.*" /e /v /y
xcopy "D:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF\*.*" "D:\UIBackup\WTF\*.*" /e /v /y
echo Backup Complete.

Change the file extention to '.bat' from '.txt' and open to run the backup.

Alternatively, you can have this run when you shutdown your computer or on a schedule using Windows Scheduled Tasks.