WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   General WoW Chat (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Will the water graphic setting impact your fps in cata? (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33335)

pauen 06-22-10 06:16 PM

Will the water graphic setting impact your fps in cata?

I saw that Blizzard added way better water now. looks very cool. will it affect fps alot or a little?

Chibi 06-22-10 06:24 PM

That depends entirely on your rig.

Voorije 06-22-10 08:13 PM

Not mine it wont! :)

Taryble 06-23-10 01:33 PM

I've heard from several people in the alpha that they lose "1-2 fps" due to the new water in Cata. In other words, not enough to matter.

Haleth 06-23-10 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taryble (Post 193689)
I've heard from several people in the alpha that they lose "1-2 fps" due to the new water in Cata. In other words, not enough to matter.

Afaik, the new water hasn't been fully implemented yet. Reflections etc aren't available yet.

Taryble 06-24-10 09:56 AM

I've been hearing that there's a "water detail" slider with 3 settings right now - "old" water, "new" water with only sky reflections, and "new" water with 'more' reflections.

dr_AllCOM3 06-24-10 04:33 PM

The best quality costs a noticable amount of fps if you're near water.

Tavil 06-24-10 06:28 PM

On my current desktop computer probably quite a bit of a hit.
But on the laptop im getting soon probably no hit at all.

Squidbeard 07-14-10 07:36 PM

The graphics hit is said to be comparable to the introduction of the shading changes they brought in during WOTLK. If you took a hit when they were introduced expect to take another one.

But as always its dependent on the rig your using, but either way there is a slider to control the level of detail, from low, which is pretty much what its like at the moment to high.

Dark-Sider 07-21-10 01:56 PM

Hi,

since the water FX are rendered by your GPU it shouldn't impact your performance that much. Mostly my FPS drops during boss fights when all addons are xchaning data and loads of combat log stuff gets parsed.

Water is mostly not around in dungeons...

bye
Darky

VincentSDSH 07-21-10 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauen (Post 193255)
I saw that Blizzard added way better water now. looks very cool. will it affect fps alot or a little?

Yes; whether or not it's noticeable depends on your hardware. 30fps -> 26fps vs 22fps -> 15fps

I have noticed some areas in beta where, with the mid-level water on, I go from 'fine' to 'turn it off or I can't move 2 inches w/o stopping for several seconds'

Petrah 07-21-10 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauen (Post 193255)

So far in beta, it hasn't affected mine.

(knock on wood)

Taryble 07-21-10 10:39 PM

When I posted earlier, I was actually referring to my own experiences. Neither during the Alpha, nor since Beta started, have I had more than a 1-2 fps hit on my system (which was cutting edge 2-3 years ago).

Xarl 07-30-10 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petrah (Post 199241)
So far in beta, it hasn't affected mine.

(knock on wood)

Same here...But my rig is almost more worth then.....forget it :o

Granbr 08-17-10 04:49 PM

Ohhhh

I probably we need to change my laptop again =/

Cralor 08-17-10 07:55 PM

The reflections will take a HUGE hit on many people's FPS. The actual water is fine, but reflections are like having Shadows on max (though this will be more situational as you will need to be near water to have a drop.)

I haven't actually tested, but from what I have heard/been told, the reflections are intensive to render.

Fodaro 08-18-10 03:59 AM

Personally, I have an ageing processor (single core AMD at 2.2Ghz) with an ATI Radeon HD 4650, and I find that the frame rate isn't too bad. However, the graphics card fan is constantly going when there's a reasonable amount of water on the screen. This is at one notch from max water detail.