WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Authoring Discussion (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Blizzard Mail Frame Question (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39264)

Wickedshifts 03-13-11 06:56 PM

Blizzard Mail Frame Question

I was wondering if it's possible to edit or even create an entirely new frame to replace the default Mail frame? I ask because I have an idea for an addon (Yes it has been done before, but to be honest I hate running 2 - 3 addons for different functions, when they can possibly be all added together into one single addon) & I think for it to work corretly & even look right in my eyes (Im a very visual person... Yes, I draw my frames & layout on paper before I even start to try & code anything... im a coding newb BTW :( But want to learn!), the mail Frame would have to be completly remade to fit my UI.

Dawn 03-13-11 07:50 PM

Skinning normally doesn't require a complete rewrite, unless new/different features/functionality is involved.

You should get away with adjusting/changing the appearance and position of existent frames. Again, this depends on what you are aiming for.

Wickedshifts 03-13-11 08:27 PM

Well im using a copy of ElvUI amd I have modified some things but nothing major, just UF layout etc... Im really asking about the mail things because as of right now I am using Jeebus & Postal for my mail, reason being is this. Jeebus does a GREAT job of remember Alt names, guild members, friends, etc... Postal does it to, however, does not remember my horde Shamans name I send BoAs to from time to time when I level him. Postal has the main feature I am looking for a 'Take All' button, or I can check a box next to the mails I want to take from my box & it will open those mails, instead of me having to it manually.

Back during LK I had another mail addon that when mailing attachments to an alt or anyone once you attached 12 items to the mail it would automatically send it, as compared to postal I have to attach 12, click send OR Alt + Click the last item I attached in my bags to send it. Although this is not a huge inconvience, it does get a little annoying. I spend ALOT of time farming / gathering to send stuff to an alt to craft / DE so this would be a HUGE time saver.

What I am bascially going to try to do, is "reskin" or create a nee addon for the mail frame so it fits i with my UI, & does the above mentioned feature I was talking about....

1. Remember Alt names (Regardless of faction), Guild Members, and Friends.
2. A 'Take All' button & check boxes to take just certain mails.
3. Automatically send a mail when 12 attachments are made.

Hence why I was asking about the mail frame being reskined... I love learning & although this is probably WAY to advanced for me, Im in it for the challenge. Plus, I have alot of ideas for small addons I used to have during BC / LK that are no longer updated / maintained that I would love to recreate or modify to fit my wifes & I needs / wants. :D :banana:

Dawn 03-13-11 08:35 PM

So you are basically requesting a mail addon that fits your needs? If so, you're better of posting the exact needs in the AddOn Search/Requests forum.

In case you need help writing your own addon. Just start coding and report back issues with your code. Maybe start with a basic addon like "OpenAll" and add/modify code to it, if you don't want to start from scratch.

Wickedshifts 03-13-11 08:41 PM

Not really requesting, just asking if the mail fram can be modified or reskined as you stated. That was my question in the OP, sorry for any confusion / extra info in the first reply. & If i need any help, ill ask using the correct thread.

Thanks

Xinhuan 03-15-11 01:53 AM

It's definitely possible. Look at the addon called BetterInbox as an example, changes the display to a scrolling one instead of a paged one.

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...tterInbox.html

Although I'm biased towards Postal since its my addon. :)