WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   nUI: Suggestion Box (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Carbonite replacement suggestions (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30210)

chopt8 01-23-10 04:35 PM

Carbonite replacement suggestions

As the title states, what do you use in place of carbonite. My main concerns/goals

an opposing faction alerter, (carbonite punks- until nUI 6.0 is released).
a guide to pinpoint npcs, trainers, bank, fp, without having to speak to a city guard.
Carbonite's warehouse, view your bank or GV anywhere (or some useful rules for arkinventory).
Quest helper or quest guru? I need something that'll hightlight mob areas better than blizz does(like carbonite)
I'm gonna go with gatherer for well gathering, duh and that should cover my needs

Xrystal 01-23-10 05:02 PM

Rofl, I actually never really needed anything like that at all. Before the new quest changes that Blizzard introduced I used QuestGuru and I used Gathermate as a lightweight option to Gatherer but apart from that I had no need.

chopt8 01-23-10 06:02 PM

There was something that turned me off gathermate, though I do recall I prefer it's HUD over gatherers

Marthisdil 01-24-10 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chopt8 (Post 175816)
As the title states, what do you use in place of carbonite. My main concerns/goals

an opposing faction alerter, (carbonite punks- until nUI 6.0 is released).
a guide to pinpoint npcs, trainers, bank, fp, without having to speak to a city guard.
Carbonite's warehouse, view your bank or GV anywhere (or some useful rules for arkinventory).
Quest helper or quest guru? I need something that'll hightlight mob areas better than blizz does(like carbonite)
I'm gonna go with gatherer for well gathering, duh and that should cover my needs

Nothing good for opposing faction alerter - wish there were a good standalone mod for this that's been recently updated.

Warehouse - Altoholic

For map highlighting, etc, I use Mapster - dunno if it'll be better for ya or not.

As far as gathering, I don't have any gathering toons, ubt Gathermate would be lighter weight than Gatherer I think.

chopt8 01-24-10 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marthisdil (Post 175923)
Nothing good for opposing faction alerter - wish there were a good standalone mod for this that's been recently updated.

Warehouse - Altoholic

For map highlighting, etc, I use Mapster - dunno if it'll be better for ya or not.

As far as gathering, I don't have any gathering toons, ubt Gathermate would be lighter weight than Gatherer I think.

I totally forgot about altoholic, I have installed just not enabled in a while. I'll look into mapster. As far as enemy detection I used the combat log to 'see' enemies but I love how carb detects whether they're fighting or not AND has a 'hot / cold' pinging on map. Scott u reading? I'd love to be rid of carb once we can install nUI 6.0 :p

Chmee 01-25-10 12:16 PM

What's so bad about Carbonite?

Xrystal 01-25-10 12:20 PM

Nothing at all is wrong with carbonite but there is so much to it that I personally never wanted that once blizzard made it so there wasn't a carbonite quest and carbonite main addons but an all in one version I replaced my quest watcher with questguru. Now with the built in one even that is not needed.

Chmee 01-25-10 12:22 PM

Hm. I haven't tried running without Carbonite in quite a while. Maybe it's worth a look.

chopt8 01-25-10 03:56 PM

With 3.3 you CAN live without carbonite. Blizz's quest tracker is much better than before, but I prefer carbs ability to zoom in and see terrain detail that blizz's map doesn't show.

There's nothing wrong with carb just a bit of a mem hog. I'd prefer to just have nUI on, but I'm spoiled and need combuctor and altoholic; for leveling new toons I roll I can't live without zygor. Can't wait to see what, in addition to what Scott's promised will be in 6.0

Petrah 01-25-10 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chopt8 (Post 176058)
With 3.3 you CAN live without carbonite.

:eek:

I can't. I simply can't.

/hangs head in shame

spiel2001 01-25-10 06:22 PM

~roflmao~

:D

Dridzt 01-25-10 07:28 PM

Mapster, Gathermate, Routes, Handynotes (+LoD plugins for specific pre-populated notes), TomTom for the map-related functionality.

BankItems for bank / guild bank view from anywhere.

LightHeaded (for generic quest help) and / or TourGuide (for specific guides)

Spy or Stalker (curse hosted) for standalone enemy detection?
(haven't used either of them)

When you break it down like that you start to realize what a mammoth Carbonite is
(conjecture as I don't / haven't used it, all I know is it keep spamming me with addon data :P)

chopt8 01-25-10 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petrah (Post 176071)
:eek:

I can't. I simply can't.

/hangs head in shame

I didn't say you'd like it or WANT to, I'm just saying its possible. Just like I CAN get paid double my normal salary for playing WoW and earn sick time, holiday pay and 30 days vacation a year.

euphraties 01-26-10 11:45 AM

yea routes is another addon that i simply must have it makes gathering so much easier and faster but it never worked with carbonite in the first place.
and as far as map replacement i prefer cartographer 3 just for size and a few other options that i cant remember at the moment as i just woke up

Petrah 01-27-10 08:41 AM

Carbonite has it's own built in "routes". Not sure why anyone would need that addon while Carbonite does a better job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pthZX...eature=related

Marthisdil 01-27-10 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petrah (Post 176308)
Carbonite has it's own built in "routes". Not sure why anyone would need that addon while Carbonite does a better job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pthZX...eature=related

Perhaps because Gathermate is updated more frequently than Carbonite?

todd0168 01-27-10 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marthisdil (Post 176312)
Perhaps because Gathermate is updated more frequently than Carbonite?

I have to admit. I use Gathermate for my harvest locations as there are more of them and they are more accurate. So as such, I never use Carbonite to track where to go to harvest, I use Gathermate.

Petrah 01-27-10 10:27 AM

Did Blizz add brand new nodes lately?

Marthisdil 01-27-10 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petrah (Post 176316)
Did Blizz add brand new nodes lately?

<shrug> Dunno - many folks seem to say that Gathermate has more accurate info. And it's not a mem hog like Carbonite. Carbonite IS nice. Don't get me wrong. I even donated to them back when you had to donate to get the full version.

But given all it's features, seems better to piecemeal other addons together sometimes.

I stopped using Carbonite a couple months ago when I realized it wasn't offering me anything I couldn't do without, or replace with a more efficient Addon.

Petrah 01-27-10 11:25 AM

Sigh

People need to worry about cpu usage, not memory usage.

I've been using Carbonite since it first came out, and never once had any performance issues with it.

As far as accuracy, I've not had any issue like that with nodes since I began using the addon.