WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Class Discussions (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   To many AddOns! (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11770)

WaldoJeffers 08-15-07 11:15 PM

To many AddOns!

I'm not a happy lil' man with the high(for me) memory my UI is slaving away on. I can't shorten the list, It's too hard :mad: I am simultaneously leveling four Undead's which currently are only around level 10, These will be the only character's I'll be touching. Pick an Addon (or 5 , but I cant delete that much :p ) you think is unneeded and I'll see if i can work up the courage to delete it :p

robthedude 08-15-07 11:32 PM

Well, for starters you can get rid of the Black Temple, Hyjal and Karazhan bits of BigWigs, you won't be needing them for a while! Ditto for ArenaMaster. Ditto for oRA.

Baggins - try using the default bags again! I used bag mods for aaaages, but the last 2 months I've gone back to the old bags and I love being able to organise my stuff myself.

Lightheaded is a big one, sure you need it?

Throw out any bits of Quartz that you don't need/use.

other than that, nice selection ;)

WaldoJeffers 08-15-07 11:45 PM

Thanks rob, That makes sense I just wanted all the raid stuff ready for when all my charcters are 70 in a few days :rolleyes: Baggins- Can't..... delete... Baggins..! I'm heavily in love with baggins, I can't do it ! Lightheaded- Is exactly the same :D Way to hard to delete. Quartz- Thanks I'll check out what bits of it i don't need, I thought it may of broken It's functionality if I tampered with the default package it came as. On a sidenot though, I will encounter the same problem when I am 70 and raiding with the lineup of addons i have waiting (which im deleting now, and using later)

Siz 08-16-07 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robthedude
Well, for starters you can get rid of the Black Temple, Hyjal and Karazhan bits of BigWigs, you won't be needing them for a while! Ditto for ArenaMaster. Ditto for oRA.

Individual BigWigs modules are often LoadOnDemand, so they are not loaded at all until they're needed. It would be better to just disable all of BigWigs.

Zyonin 08-16-07 03:59 AM

Any data tracking mod like Violation will eat memory.

WaldoJeffers 08-16-07 04:08 AM

I can switch to DamageMeter no probs If it uses less memory than Violation. Which I don't know

malcite 08-16-07 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qynova
I can switch to DamageMeter no probs If it uses less memory than Violation. Which I don't know

Get Swstats, its the better one of all so far (although still not good enough) Its a bit trickier to set up but you will have a better end result memory wise.

As for baggins, well i dont know how it is, but try baudbags for a while. It offers a very flexible bag interface and is easily set up.
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/5420/

Also go through your Fubar additions. Fubar is by far the biggest memory sucker i have (during normal runs anyway)

Other than that, try to ACE your mods if you haven't. Acemods are usually better coded (not all the time but in most cases) which would reduce your memory alot if you havent used that many to begin with.

Seerah 08-16-07 08:39 AM

Alright, let's get rid of some fallacies and misconceptions we have here.

1. BigWigs modules are load on demand, and BigWigs itself isn't even enabled until you join a raid. That said, keep it disabled until you want to use it. oRA2 isn't enabled until you join a raid as well, but disable it to save a couple kb.

2. Nothing will break in Quartz if you don't have one of its modules enabled. That's why they're pulled out to modules. Just disable what you don't use in the addon selection screen.

3. Yes, data tracking mods do eat memory, but it all depends on how they track that data, how much work they are doing, and if/how they store that data. Violation is *the* most lightweight damage meter mod I have seen. SW_Stats does tons more than Vio and uses more memory for it.

4. If you use Baggins to sort your inventory into categories, then stick with that. It's one of the more lightweight bag sorting mods out there. I use ArkInventory myself, but it's higher on the memory list. If all you want is an "all in one" bag mod, use Bagnon by Tuller (on this site).

5. FuBar is no memory hog. And you only use a handful of plugins.

6. It's Ace, not ACE - it's not an acronym. malcite did give the disclaimer "not all the time but most cases" but it needs to be said: the Ace libraries are not magical pixie dust. A mod written in the Ace framework is no better than a mod written with Dongle or by using no libraries at all. If you use tons of Ace mods, they can share their libraries - which is a good thing. But a good coder is a good coder, and a bad coder is a bad coder. You will often find crappy Ace mods (though the community works together to fix things), and you will often find mods written on the Ace framework that were made 10x as complicated/large as they needed to be because of it. If you notice, I pointed you to Tuller's Bagnon for an all-in-one inventory solution. Tuller is a good coder. Tuller does not use Ace and doesn't have to. Same with Cladhaire and Tekkub, who usually use Dongle. /rant off

7. How much memory your addons use is *no issue*. It depends on how much of your cpu memory they take up. If you're running with some crazy low amount of cpu memory, like Dreadlorde, you need to use less addons than if you had 2.5GB like me.

Okay, now on to my suggestions.

1. You have the Quartz and BigWigs modules pulled out, but why not the PitBull ones? If you don't use WAU, run the batch file in your PitBull folder. This will make its plugins Load on Demand, and you can disable what you don't use on your addon selection screen.

2. PitBull (because it does tons more) uses more memory than, say... ag_UnitFrames.

3. Why do you only have 2 folders for LightHeaded? There are supposed to be about 11. The LightHeaded modules are Load on Demand, and you can disable those you don't use (like the Alliance ones).

4. If you don't use Violation to track your threat (I see you have Omen) then disable that module. If you don't use it to track healing, then disable that module.

5. You don't use a ton of mods. Unless you're having performance issues, don't worry about your memory usage. I don't know if MiniPerfsFu shows it (PerformanceFu does), but if you're really interested, take a look at which addons are using the most memory. Remember, though, that you're using embedded libs - so all library usage will count towards the mod that holds it. Also remember that watching those statistics (like in PerformanceFu) will make your memory increase a tad.

6. Read #7 above again.

WaldoJeffers 08-16-07 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seerah
1. BigWigs modules are load on demand, and BigWigs itself isn't even enabled until you join a raid. That said, keep it disabled until you want to use it. oRA2 isn't enabled until you join a raid as well, but disable it to save a couple kb.

Yea I though I saw that on the description page somewhere eh.

Quote:

3. Why do you only have 2 folders for LightHeaded? There are supposed to be about 11. The LightHeaded modules are Load on Demand, and you can disable those you don't use (like the Alliance ones).

I deleted all the folders that looked obvious I didn't need. I don't *think* I'm losing any function from doing that.

7. Thankyou! That is very helpful I now have a few more files and folders to trim down with my memory scissors.

Seerah 08-16-07 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I deleted all the folders that looked obvious I didn't need. I don't *think* I'm losing any function from doing that.

Depending on what you have in those folders and how you did it, you are. Or you may be running the old LightHeaded version that had a different folder hierarchy.

Attached is what your LightHeaded install should look like. Delete your two folders and reinstall. On the addon selection screen in-game, disable the 4 alliance modules. The 4 horde ones will only load when called for. (You won't load data for level 60 quests when looking up a level 20 quest.) Also keep the NPC_Data and Quest_Data ones enabled.

WaldoJeffers 08-16-07 11:27 AM

Ok I'll do that, also , I just did an update all addons with Externals through WAU and my addons settings have changed for Addons, well right now I can see Eepanels now doesnt have the texture that was parented to the pitbull target frame. Pitbull has lost it's custom fonts and texture and colours, auros are now repositioned.My chat window is moved and resized.Minimalist is reset. That's all I see atm. I can't avoid this saved file wipe it does upon updates on some addons with WAU?

malcite 08-16-07 12:30 PM

Quote:

3. Yes, data tracking mods do eat memory, but it all depends on how they track that data, how much work they are doing, and if/how they store that data. Violation is *the* most lightweight damage meter mod I have seen. SW_Stats does tons more than Vio and uses more memory for it.

Yes i agree its lightweight, but if its to be an effective mod it also needs to send data. From what i read Violation is only a receiver that can deal with both sw and dmg meter data. It doesnt send anything. Regular dmg meter is fairly inaccurate for pet users (such as beastmastery hunters) as it doesnt count pet dmg and its also manually clear all the way and a very crude mod. Swstats keeps a small datalog (5mb max) which is easily erased at any given time but auto updates and keeps a rather clean data tracking where hunters pet and the hunters themselves are counted as one damage.

Kyahx 08-16-07 01:06 PM

Regarding Lightheaded, its possibly the most LIGHTWEIGHT database mod I have ever used / seen. You shouldn't have to worry about deleting any of the modules because they won't even be used unless your loading the quest data from on of those quests. There is zero harm in leaving them there and enabled, and LH overall tends to use less memory than even my scrolling combat text, so I wouldn't worry about it.

If you really want to know whats going on with your mods, download something that can do memory and CPU profiling (such as OptionHouse or Resource Tools). Pay *extra* special attention to CPU usage, that's going to kill you long before memory usage. In all honesty, memory usage doesnt even matter, cpu is what will affect your frame-rate.

Edit:
Regaurding Violation, it doesn't SYNC data in the same sense that SWStats does, hence its incompatible in that respect. But it does broadcast your own numbers. Our entire guild has switched to Violation and we have no inconsistency issues at all. Note you can also get a Violation plug in to increase your combat log range up to 200yds, which has the effect of making syncing nearly obsolete, as your local client log will pick up everything going on all by itself.

WaldoJeffers 08-16-07 01:28 PM

Well I' think I'm happy the UI memory now with no raid addons and some modules disabled and also removed some quartz and pitbull modules. Which is great \o/ happy days :)

Are you fellow melee classes unphased with Ui memory? Until a rolled a rogue I had no prob with high memory. Trying to backstab mobs was very hard, always saying "you must be behind your target" When I'm directly behind it , Mobs gliding around on my screen and other funky things going on, Unless there's something going on behind the scenes that's all I could put it down to, High memory usage. stable frame rates fine latency and then red fonted UI memory only seemed to me like that had some involvement. But it seems i must be wrong, but thats good! more the merrier :p

Kyahx 08-16-07 01:34 PM

Positioning issues like that are not really related to UI memory. All of that is server / latency based. A rouge is the most unforgiving class for this (my first toon was a rouge, but I found it was nearly unplayable at times even with latency as low as 90-100.) Even when my latency was good (60ish) I would run into issues because of a slight hiccup in my connection at the wrong time. (We used to have satellite internet >.<) Speccing combat/swords helped since I didnt need to be behind my targets as much, but eh...it was very annoying to play a rouge on even a mild connection.

So I rolled a caster instead :P

WaldoJeffers 08-16-07 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyahx

So I rolled a caster instead :P

I like that, lol

I just scrapped my server and my 4 undeads for a new realm and 2 casters just then :cool:

In australia on an average connection our latency is on 400 ms average, good eh :rolleyes:

WaldoJeffers 08-16-07 02:03 PM

Quote:

I just did an update all addons with Externals through WAU and my addons settings have changed for Addons, well right now I can see Eepanels now doesnt have the texture that was parented to the pitbull target frame. Pitbull has lost it's custom fonts and texture and colours, auros are now repositioned.My chat window is moved and resized.Minimalist is reset. That's all I see atm. I can't avoid this saved file wipe it does upon updates on some addons with WAU?

Quoting myself for good fortune