WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   nUI: Community Chat (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Not taking donations? (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21387)

wreck 03-24-09 11:45 AM

Not taking donations?

Scott, did I read that correctly? You've stopped taking donations because of the blizzard policy? It seems that is overreacting somewhat. Blizzard hasn't said you can't take donations, just that you can't ask for them in game.

It seems to me you should add a statement asking for donations in the description on all of the download sites and see where that leads. If it is still less than you need to support the UI, then is the time to move on.

Don't quit BEFORE the fat lady sings. :)

Carz 03-24-09 12:37 PM

If u look on his dite www.nuiaddon.com there a button for it on the last page if he's still taking them idk but that were ur find it unless he but it back on the WowI page also

spiel2001 03-24-09 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wreck (Post 122065)
It seems to me you should add a statement asking for donations in the description on all of the download sites and see where that leads. If it is still less than you need to support the UI, then is the time to move on.

I'm not sure where you got that from. No, I've not stopped taking donations.

And as I have posted in quite a few threads, those donation links have been on every download page and in every "a new release has just been made" message I've had since June 1, 2008 - between then and March 7, 2009 they netted me $300 in donations.

Trust me... they are there. They didn't matter. Asking in game did, and that I do have to stop doing.

wreck 03-24-09 01:42 PM

nUI Announcments:

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21309

Quote:

I have chosen to temporarily close nUI's donation links.
I assumed that meant what it said...

spiel2001 03-24-09 01:58 PM

Ah yeah... the later posts, however, explain the final course of action I chose... I closed them temporarily while I was figuring out what I would do.

I don't believe in deleting announcements, I think the history is important... but I can see where the confusion came from.

deth4uall 03-24-09 06:27 PM

Well bro I donated and tried out the addon, I gave all I could... :S Kinda broke right now, will donate laterz when I have more... But yeh, I love it! Just trying to figure out if I can integrate the armory and bartender add ons... :P

spiel2001 03-24-09 06:35 PM

What do you need bartender for?

ThaOne 03-24-09 06:36 PM

Is there not a way to put it in the addon at all?

I just got this addon a day or two ago and am loving it. But seeing the intro screen for the addon the first time saddened me. I'm in no way able to donate personally at this time, but I was posting to ask if you could put the option to donate and the info into the addon. I've seen it in one or two in the past (names escape me atm), but not sure if this is something that is now "legal" according to blizz.

I think it's crap if it isn't. The authors should have every right to put an unobtrusive message to donate to support their mods within their addon configuration or load-up message.

spiel2001 03-24-09 06:41 PM

I appreciate the kind word there.

Fear not... nUI soldiers on in the face of adversity and I have just uploaded a new update which I am confident is fully compliant and still at least gives me a fighting chance.

We'll see how it goes.

ThaOne 03-24-09 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiel2001 (Post 122196)
I appreciate the kind word there.

Fear not... nUI soldiers on in the face of adversity and I have just uploaded a new update which I am confident is fully compliant and still at least gives me a fighting chance.

We'll see how it goes.

Great. I saw the new download and jumped right on it. I'll be checking it out when I actually log on =)

Thanks for an excellent addon and I hope it works out for you.

Xrystal 03-24-09 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deth4uall (Post 122187)
Well bro I donated and tried out the addon, I gave all I could... :S Kinda broke right now, will donate laterz when I have more... But yeh, I love it! Just trying to figure out if I can integrate the armory and bartender add ons... :P

Bartender you shouldn't really need. I used bartender before specifically because my mage had so many spells she needed available. Then I came across nUI and Cryolosis. The two together helped me big time.

I'm not sure if I am recalling correctly but I think Scott was thinking of extending the bar options in a later edition. Whether I misread or not who knows.

As to the armory integration. That sounds interesting but I didn't think you could access anything outside of the game apart from the WTF files. I think nUI still has or used to have access to talent spotting people in your group/raid at least. Not that it was always up to date. Had to reloadui a few times when people respecced before the run started.

I'd have to check that armory mod out and see what it actually does but just took a look at wowwiki's wow api list and looks like a combo of unit and talent functions may be what theyre using.

edit: Yep .. just looked at the screen shot of armory and read the info. I noticed it before but its similar to Altoholic which I use to keep track of my alts. Thats all armory does except uses the paperdoll window to show the info. Would be interesting though to see if a simipler version could be written that would fit in an info panel so that at a click of the button you have access to your details plus any alts you've logged in recently. Sounds like a little educational project for someone *grins* . Once I figure out my little programming problem Ive been trying to spend time on between wow runs :D

*brain starts churning* .. better go ..

spiel2001 03-25-09 04:18 AM

Let me add a quick warning... using any mod which collects talent information on other players will break nUI's talent inspection code. It has to do with how Blizzard implemented that feature... it is not POSSIBLE to have two mods both inspecting talent trees at the same time.

So... fair warning ~smile~

Xrystal 03-25-09 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiel2001 (Post 122278)
Let me add a quick warning... using any mod which collects talent information on other players will break nUI's talent inspection code. It has to do with how Blizzard implemented that feature... it is not POSSIBLE to have two mods both inspecting talent trees at the same time.

So... fair warning ~smile~

Ah, that sounds familiar. Okay, back to non wow programming. :D