WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbonite Archive (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   [Suggestions] Official Thread (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44608)

myrroddin 10-03-12 08:31 AM

[Suggestions] Official Thread

Rythal is going to be very busy, having already posted his future plans elsewhere. In the meantime, I thought I would start a new Official Suggestions Thread. No bug reports, please. Only post "Hey, wouldn't it be a good thing if Carbonite supported, was changed like, or could be improved with" ideas.

Since Rythal as mentioned supporting Ace3, that gave me a few ideas I'd like to see in Carbonite.
  1. Improve the Warhouse so members of the same guild automatically get the guild bank synced when one person visits. Mobile Vault already does this using LibGuildBankComm-1.0.
  2. Use LibGuildPositions-1.0 in order to see guild members on the world map. This might be a toggle in Carbonite, with default on.
  3. Don't reinvent the wheel: HandyNotes and its plugins already handle NPCs, trainers, vendors, etc on the world map. They only improvement might be to include a preloaded database rather than have the user interact with each NPC at least once first to add the icon.
  4. Don't reinvent the wheel 2: use either GatherMate2_Data or GathererDB_WoWHead to add herbs, mines, treasures, etc. Personally, I'd use GM2_Data, as it contains fish, gas clouds, and other types that Gatherer does not. Further, GM2_Data is updated weekly using WowHead data mining.

tinyu 10-03-12 07:36 PM

LibDataBroker so users can easily access some of the main features via a broker addon like Titan Panel.

DanComputerX 10-04-12 07:52 PM

Tooltips

I am grateful for Rythal taking over development; it seems churlish to ask for more. But...

It would be lovely to have tooltips on the settings in options. I have no idea what many of them do.

Perhaps this is something that could be undertaken by a poweruser.

Thank you, Rythal, for your fine work.

Rythal 10-04-12 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanComputerX (Post 265907)
I am grateful for Rythal taking over development; it seems churlish to ask for more. But...

It would be lovely to have tooltips on the settings in options. I have no idea what many of them do.

Perhaps this is something that could be undertaken by a poweruser.

Thank you, Rythal, for your fine work.

It won't be in the next patch, but a complete overhaul of the options system is planned

unmploied 10-06-12 02:10 PM

just a thought

I would like to see a "lite" version. Or add a toggle on/off on some options.

Thank you so much for your hard work.

tinyu 10-07-12 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unmploied (Post 266080)
I would like to see a "lite" version. Or add a toggle on/off on some options.

Thank you so much for your hard work.

That's why Rythal is modularizing Carbonite so you can enable/disable what you want.

Temptress 10-07-12 01:26 PM

Quest auto-learning

I'm not a programmer but i was wondering if it's possible for a mod to auto learn quests as the player does the quest. And is it possible to transmit that quest data that was learned to all carbonite users via a hidden channel thus expanding the quest area/blob area of quest items or npcs.

Sincerely
Teamptress @ Feathermoon

Qin 10-08-12 05:40 AM

Turn Off / Log Out

I know that the two "chat" channels are required to share data when working with other Carbonite Users.

Although I would like the ability to turn those chat joins off automatically.

regards,

myrroddin 10-08-12 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qin (Post 266195)
I know that the two "chat" channels are required to share data when working with other Carbonite Users.

Although I would like the ability to turn those chat joins off automatically.

regards,

Actually, it is one "chat" channel that is in reality the addon communication channel, which is not normally viable or accessible to users. What are you seeing?

Rythal 10-08-12 05:31 PM

they are right, there is 2 channels it joins, crb2 and crb[random] ... crb2 is used for global talk for version information so you can see when a new version is out, and world positions which is why you can see every other carbonite user in your zone. That one can be turned off in the options already. The second channel I don't know what it's used for yet, group communication is all done through the API for addon communication.

mcaran 10-09-12 10:13 AM

I have a suggestion regarding the instance/dungeons/scenario maps. They are much smaller than the world maps ones. Zoom them automatically once we enter or leave such places.

For quests databases, unless you have a tool to parse wowhead/thotbot to create the quest db for you, use any good/stable/consistent already known addon (there are many GPLs out there) as base db instead of recreate it from the scratch as you're planning. I guess its a waste of time maintaining a local quest db because there are people that already do that.

If you decide to use a own database, users could help a lot installing the wowhead tool in their machines. This small tool collects a lot of data in-game. You could use it to extract the desired information.

myrroddin 10-09-12 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaran (Post 266324)
If you decide to use a own database, users could help a lot installing the wowhead tool in their machines. This small tool collects a lot of data in-game. You could use it to extract the desired information.

Double up, since Curse's WoWDB.com tracks some things that WoWHead does not, like mailboxes. For Curse, you need the addon WoWDB Profiler, and the Curse Client needs to be running when you exit the game. You can do this every few days, unless you truly want to run the client all the time. Unfortunately, Mac users, while they can install the addon and collect data, cannot upload with the v4 Mac Curse Client. Also, there is no way to manually upload the data to WoWDB.

WoWHead requires the WoWHead Looter program, which installs their addon for you. It is compatible with both Windows and Mac, and does have a manual upload option, along with automatic.

Kathan 10-12-12 03:36 PM

Glad to see the devs made the right choice for the community. Grats Rythal! :)

Is it possible to translate over the Blizzard 'big map' quest blob POIs over to the Carbonite map? If you integrate Blizzards minimap into the carbonite map, it's kind of funky because they added showing POI blobs to the minimap, but since the minimap is integrated into carbonites, it only shows the blobs from the minimap object that gets moved around/scaled.

If you can grab the POIs to place over Carbonite's map, then you could probably grab the ?'s too for NPC turn ins?

Kreelor 10-13-12 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathan (Post 266587)
Glad to see the devs made the right choice for the community. Grats Rythal! :)

Is it possible to translate over the Blizzard 'big map' quest blob POIs over to the Carbonite map? If you integrate Blizzards minimap into the carbonite map, it's kind of funky because they added showing POI blobs to the minimap, but since the minimap is integrated into carbonites, it only shows the blobs from the minimap object that gets moved around/scaled.

If you can grab the POIs to place over Carbonite's map, then you could probably grab the ?'s too for NPC turn ins?

I like this idea. Anything that can be done to allow seeing POI's on both sizes of the Carbonite map would be wonderful. Ideally, I'd like to have the Carbonite map(s) use its own separate user-selectable options from the ones that Blizzard offers on its minimap. (Note: I never move Blizzard's minimap into my Carbonite map). That way, users have more control over the Carbonite map, while maintaining selected options on the Blizzard minimap.

As it is now, I never see anything on Carbonite's maps except possibly Mailboxes, Flightmasters, Inn's, Banks, various Nodes, and Auction Houses. I'd like to see a full-range of optional POI's, and be able to turn on/off the ones I want (on each size of the Carbonite map).

cheriea99 10-14-12 06:24 AM

Future release suggestion- Profiles

I'd like to ask that you consider including in future releases profiles? Nearly every addon these days has them, and they're certainly helpful to create one or two types of set ups one time, and then just be able to model after them. They're also a huge time saver after certain patches when Blizzard likes to make their Users redo everything.
:banana:

Kreelor 10-17-12 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheriea99 (Post 266689)
I'd like to ask that you consider including in future releases profiles? Nearly every addon these days has them, and they're certainly helpful to create one or two types of set ups one time, and then just be able to model after them. They're also a huge time saver after certain patches when Blizzard likes to make their Users redo everything.
:banana:

I believe I'm using the latest version(s) of Carbonite with Rythal's great fixes. It's really hard to find a single source to get Rythal's; there's this/these forums (several possible locations here), Rythal's Development Blog, and probably more.

Anyway, my version DOES have a 'Profile' setting, but it's hard to find. It's in the Carbonite "Options" under "Reset," I believe. Maybe it could be an option unto itself.

Rhiyz 10-18-12 12:36 AM

Request for 2 more "use quest watch item" keybindings

hi

i have a Request for 2 more "use quest watch item" keybindings.

Emmiebean 10-21-12 05:06 PM

Would it be possible to include the ability to track battle pet locations in the same way the gathering tracker works?

tednik 10-22-12 03:34 AM

Quote:

Don't reinvent the wheel 2: use either GatherMate2_Data or GathererDB_WoWHead to add herbs, mines, treasures, etc. Personally, I'd use GM2_Data, as it contains fish, gas clouds, and other types that Gatherer does not. Further, GM2_Data is updated weekly using WowHead data mining.
Yes please use gathermate2. Like they said it is updated at least once a week sometimes more and it seems to be more widely used now more so than gatherer. Once again great work with the addon and glad to see someone working on it that actually cares for the community.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Emmiebean 10-23-12 03:52 PM

Gathermate 2 has stated they have no intention whatsoever of including battle pets in their database. But thx anyway. There is a pet tracker addon BUT it does not work with carbonites map.

jeruku 10-26-12 11:19 PM

Suggestion for Quest Data

Why not stash quest data by Quest ID rather than a clunky quest table/database with name, level, objective this, objective that, etc.?

xienwolf 10-27-12 01:30 AM

Favorites/Notes

Ok, I just learned about the 1 time lootable gold/XP objects that phase per character around Panda-land. I figured these are a GREAT way to push through level 85 and get to the good stuff, so I set up a favorites for a guided route.

Problem is that reaching them in a set order really requires flight, at which points they aren't so hot for the XP anymore.

So I decided I would just get them to highlight on the map for me with cute icons, so that when I am questing in the area, I spot the note and can rush to get a free boost to XP.

So this had me setting up Notes and Favorites(targets) at the same time.

I used /way commands to feed in the initial data for the Targets, worked like a charm, though going back through to name things was a bit annoying.

I used /carb note to place the notes, and this generated a new folder titled Notes, with sub folders titled per zone.

This worked nicely, if I clicked on the Favorite then I got a route for fast visit by flight, and icons from the notes always show up, so those serve their intended purpose.

Overall, this was a bit messy for my tastes, so I attempted to consolidate, and this is where the suggestion/issues come in:

Moving a Note item into the Targets/Favorites area caused the route to break. I had noticed that placing a comment had the same result. You no longer see the full pathway lined out.

I placed Notes in the Targets by doing a cut/paste through right click menu. There seemed to be no function to just add a blank item and then set what it is (note, target, whatever else is possible) and where it is and the like. All you can do it change the name once an item exists.

I moved everything out of the notes and into my targets. A few items changed their location data when I did this, which was a nuisance, but I dealt with it.

However, while under the Notes section that was built by /carb note command, the icons would always show on map. Once moved to the Targets section, the icons disappeared, even if I activated that particular route.

So not having the icons permanently on the map was a bad thing. I cut/pasted back to a notes section and decided my method for cleaning up would just be to combine all the zone folders to one titled folder.

But after I cut/pasted everything back over, I realized that it moved every single one of my notes (from basically all zones but Dread Wastes and Vale of Eternal) into Jade Forest (the zone I placed my dummy note in to generate a folder).

So I have to re-do everything now. And I am hoping that we can get some improvement to the overall design of favorites/notes.

If you do take the time to look over the favorites/notes, I HIGHLY encourage you to design a file system where we can easily cut/paste a chunk of text from a comment on Wowhead or in these forums to use a shared favorites or note set.

Doing this will make sure that Carbonite replaces Tomtom as the map of choice for a LOT of people.

One of the main things going for Tomtom is that if you need something, you can count on going to wowhead and finding a set of cut/paste macros to set up waypoints for it.

But if you could do a single cut/paste and get an entire favorites and notes chunk... which then means an optimized route along with the arrow deal, and commments to boot AND carbonites awesome maps....

As a comparison, to set up waypoints for all of the candy buckets during Halloween event just now, I had to create about 15 macros. That was a lot of copy/paste/press/repeat. And I will have to do it again next year. And I had to watch my world map while I flew around, because CLOSEST waypoint didn't mean BEST waypoint (would cause you to skip 2 or 3 in the south tip of Eastern Kingdoms, making you come back for them after going all the way up to Western Plaguelands for one thing). When I got the update for Carbonite to use /way additions, I copy/pasted those same macros all over again to set up a Favorites folder, then optimized the flight paths, and now I never have to touch them again for the coming years or any alternate characters I use.... And if I could easily share them to the forums here, I happily would. But right now the file where these are stored is a bit messy when you have as many notes and favorites routes as I do.

There is a lot of work to overhaul this. But a ton of potential gain.

twizt3dkitty 10-31-12 10:14 PM

deleted after reading the modulation plans. This sounds good :)

Qithe 11-30-12 11:54 AM

I'd like to see an option to have the "Data for some items is not available. Retrieve data from server?" not pop up every single time I log into the game.

If there's already an option to automatically do or not do this, I apologize but I haven't seen it yet.

looloop 12-06-12 09:37 AM

GathererDB Wowhead Integration

Carbonite would greatly benefit if one of its most powerful feature, routing Herbs and Ore nodes, could be expanded to route also Treasure nodes as well as use the biggest and most up to date database available through the GathererDB Wowhead addon.

Xaemyl 12-19-12 12:51 PM

Absolutely awesome addon, and I'm glad its being taken up again! :banana:

A couple of suggestions I would like to see is: 1. An option to make the text in the quest tracker able to be right justified. 2. The ability to abandon quests from the quest tracker/open up the quest log/achievement window (dunno if any of these things are planned however hehe).

Sparkplug 12-20-12 12:11 AM

Just a minor thing but I'd love to have an option to hide the Carbonite stuff during Pet Battles (kinda like the hide during Raids option)

BillieJackFu 01-18-13 01:00 AM

If it hasn't already been mentioned I would like to see Carbonite link to Shared Media. I have a lot of fonts that I use for my UI, but there are only 4 available in Carbonite after Rythal took over the project.

JimJoBlue 01-18-13 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qithe (Post 269905)
I'd like to see an option to have the "Data for some items is not available. Retrieve data from server?" not pop up every single time I log into the game.

If there's already an option to automatically do or not do this, I apologize but I haven't seen it yet.

There is an option for this actually...

1. Right click the map and go to options..
2. In the left hand panel go to quest.
3. About half way down is an option "Update completed quest history on login"
4. De-select the tickbox.
5. Win?

Reload and see if it pops up again..

Rythal 01-18-13 11:34 AM

It's items not quests that pops up, but there should be a check box to turn that off aswell in the options.

Zeusknws 01-19-13 12:52 AM

I am currently playing cataclysm. So which release or what version will work with it??

JimJoBlue 01-19-13 05:29 AM

Use the latest live version for the official servers even if you only have up to Cata.

WoWUi does not condones private servers

*edited

Chmee 01-19-13 06:37 PM

You're not.

Zeusknws 01-23-13 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimJoBlue (Post 272152)
Use the latest live version for the official servers even if you only have up to Cata.

WoWUi does not condones private servers

*edited

But when i use the latest version of Carbonite it says that i need wow 5!!! what's that??

JimJoBlue 01-23-13 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeusknws (Post 272289)
But when i use the latest version of Carbonite it says that i need wow 5!!! what's that??

Wow 5.*.* is the version of World of Warcraft in use..

Current version is 5.1.0

If you are on a private server then the version is way before WoW version 5.

Unfortunately I will NOT help you further as all the evidence points to you using a non-official server.

Shadeslove 10-02-13 12:04 PM

I would love to be able to turn off the questing, but still be able to use the auto turn in.

I use quest guru for questing because it allows me to adjust its size, has the objects along the side for using in a quest, allows me to click a quest and turn it in when its one of those new turn in kind that blizzard came up with.
I've had to stop using carbonite, since the new patch because it was making my frame rate drop really low when i crossed borders or when there was a lot of spells being cast around me. So it made me lag out extremely bad in dungeons and raids. I hope making it modular will fix that problem as I hate not having a good map to look at when i am running around doing things in game, whether its gathering or questing.

b3vad 11-17-13 10:00 AM

Costume object tracking routes

As other looloop mentioned it will be awesome if there be an option to insert a series of waypoints with a name and be able to track it with a route. Its a pain to collect things like Dark Soil.

Eternal_Lynx 11-25-13 07:56 PM

libbabble-subzone

Carbonite requires map name localizations to function properly, and that's the problem -- so it will not work on zhCN locale.

But there is actually a library including these map name locales: Libbabble-Subzone.

I copied data from the library to Carbonite's localizaion.lua then Carbonite works on zhCN locale clients like a charm. And after every major update all I need to do is to download the latest library and re-copy it.

Since I saw many users waiting and yelling for localization fixes...How about integrate this library into Carbonite, make the flightmaster.lua to use localization(just split by the comma then use the lib). As long as the lib lives, you don't need to worry about localizations!

Kreelor 01-07-14 08:42 AM

Suggestion: Update both Carbonite map views

I still have some small amount of hope left that this addon will once again show things like "Fishing Schools" on either or both of its two map views (the larger one and the smaller one). It's very strange that Carbonite map views don't show them, although it used to. Merging the Blizzard minimap into Carbonite is not a logical alternative. It makes Carbonite's two map (views) nearly worthless, on their own. The customized Google map is zoomable and attractive, but without having relevant POI's incorported, it's missing much of its former value. I see no reason why Fishing Schools (and other similar POI's) cannot be shown, unless this addon has finally died, unfinished in its tracks.

I dread to think what Carbonite will be like after Blizzard releases their new expansion. If Rythal can't or won't do it, maybe some other brave soul with enthusiasm, expert programming skills, time and heart will take on the challenge and not vanish into the nether. History is repeating itself, again. I'm wondering where Haavok is and how he's doing?

It's too bad this addon cannot be reformatted to meet Blizzard's addon guidelines (like Zygor's addons do). Then, it most definitely would be financially viable for a qualified, determined team of addon authors to keep this significant addon up-to-date. Now that the code has gone 'public,' that may not be possible.

JWMcQuire 01-10-14 01:08 PM

Looking for signs of life.

I agree with Kreelor. I personally think the operative phrase is "qualified, determined team of addon authors".

Rythal has proven himself more than qualified to lead such a team. I feel however that rewriting this addon may have turned out to be a bigger task than he originally thought. I think delegating parts of this addon to specific people who have the time and willingness to spend an hour or more a day (or week) on it would make this task a bit easier. It may even make it possible to provide a new release that might win back people who have abandoned Carbonite and keep those thinking about looking for a viable (free) alternative from looking any further.

Carbonite 2 has a lot of potential, and I have not stopped updating quest and map coordinates on my computer as I play now and then. I won't be submitting them with notes anymore though until I see signs of life that indicate work has been resumed and updates will be accepted and applied.

One tip though for other dyi people using the latest Alpha/Beta version, if you have a problem with quests not in the database, deleting the quest objective list from the related quest section in the .lua file will force Carbonite to use Blizzard's quest database in most cases. Disclaimer: Backup the file first so you can restore it if you accidentally delete the wrong or to much stuff. I always keep the original files I change and also save the updated files in a special folder for future releases that don't include my updates/corrections.

I hope this helps. :)

Kreelor 03-11-14 10:40 AM

A suggestion regarding Carbonite's 2 map views

A suggestion regarding Carbonite's 2 map views.

From what I have read in the forums, addon authors often modify only the api's for the Blizzard's map(s) and the Carbonite large-view map to display POI icons. Currently, the Carbonite small-view map doesn't get the same info as the other maps, since it uses an api of its own. I hope I'm understanding this correctly.

Question:
Would it be possible to add a new button to Carbonite's large-view map to allow toggling (itself) to a smaller size (of itself)?
  • That way, it would be using only the one api since each of its two sizes would be showing the same POI icons.
  • Hopefully, each of the two sizes could have their sizes and 'zoom scales' set individually, and also be re-positionable on the display?
  • The use of the current Carbonite small-view could be a user-selectable check-box somewhere in Carbonite's "Options" if users prefer to use it (or not use it) instead of the suggested new method.
I just thought this might save a lot of time since only 1 api would have to be written to. If this can't or shouldn't be done, friendly feedback will be appreciated.

Rythal 03-11-14 10:48 AM

The new API calls I released and which addon author's are experimenting with currently, modifies both views of the carbonite map with a single call, not just the one.

Kreelor 03-11-14 02:43 PM

Rythal, thank you for replying and doing it so quickly! I don't know anything about API calls etc., but what you said sounds very good.

One question: Will the new change be backwards-compatible with existing calls which other addon authors have made already to the current API, or will those authors have to start over and do them again?

Rythal 03-11-14 09:47 PM

Yes, I only added new I didn't change or remove the old, so everything that was working should continue to work.. but those looking to add compatability now have much easier ways to do it which work better.