WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   oUF (Otravi Unit Frames) (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   reverse status bars (again) (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39503)

Monolit 04-02-11 08:48 AM

reverse status bars (again)

I know this topic came out a couple of times already in the past, but uhm, I've ran search few times and have yet to find a solution to my problem regarding reverse status bars.

So I want my health status bar to fill in reverse, i.e. the bigger amount of health missing - the bigger health status bar is (starting from right to left).

If I understand correctly neither default wow API or oUF allows us to do that with some simple method, so I need to make a PostUpdateHealth hook and change this by my own, but I struggle with that one ...

Setting the new value is easy, but I can't reanchor the texture itself
my PostUpdateHealth function looks like this:
lua Code:
  1. lib.PostUpdateHealth = function(s, unit, min, max)
  2.     if unit=='player' or unit=='target' then
  3.         s:SetValue(max-min)
  4.         s.t = s:GetStatusBarTexture()
  5.         s.t:SetPoint('TOPRIGHT', s, 'TOPLEFT', 0, 0)
  6.     end
  7. end

and hp bar function:
lua Code:
  1. lib.gen_hpbar = function(f)
  2.     local s = CreateFrame("StatusBar", nil, f)
  3.     s:SetStatusBarTexture(cfg.statusbar_texture)
  4.     fixStatusbar(s)
  5.     s:SetHeight(f.height)
  6.     s:SetWidth(f.width)
  7.     s:SetPoint("TOPLEFT",0,0)
  8.     s:SetAlpha(0.65)
  9.     s:SetOrientation("HORIZONTAL")
  10.     local h = CreateFrame("Frame", nil, s)
  11.     h:SetFrameLevel(0)
  12.     h:SetPoint("TOPLEFT",-4,4)
  13.     h:SetPoint("BOTTOMRIGHT",4,-4)
  14.     lib.gen_backdrop(h)
  15.     local b = s:CreateTexture(nil, "BACKGROUND")
  16.     b:SetTexture(cfg.statusbar_texture)
  17.     b:SetAllPoints(s)
  18.     s.PostUpdate = lib.PostUpdateHealth
  19.     f.Health = s
  20.     f.Health.bg = b
  21.   end

So basically I get bar with the right value, but it's placed at default position, i.e. anchored to right and filling up towards left. Any help or some kind of clues would be appreciated!

Saiket 04-02-11 12:36 PM

I think that StatusBars delay re-anchoring their textures until just before the next OnUpdate, so you'll have to use an OnUpdate handler to re-position the texture. Here's the function I use to create a reverse status bar in my UI:
http://code.google.com/p/wow-saiket/...lua?r=1574#313

zork 04-03-11 05:44 AM

Couldn't you just switch colors. (dark foreground, light background). That way if the bar depletes the bright color will become more and more visible.

Monolit 04-03-11 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saiket (Post 233653)
I think that StatusBars delay re-anchoring their textures until just before the next OnUpdate, so you'll have to use an OnUpdate handler to re-position the texture. Here's the function I use to create a reverse status bar in my UI:
http://code.google.com/p/wow-saiket/...ts.oUF.lua#313

hm, that definitely helps although I thought it was possible to avoid using OnUpdate scripts :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by zork (Post 233711)
Couldn't you just switch colors. (dark foreground, light background). That way if the bar depletes the bright color will become more and more visible.

I thought about that too, but the problem is that I want to have 3d portrait in the background and you can't really do that with portraits :/
i.e. I want this bar to overlay the background with the portrait

Saiket 04-03-11 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monolit (Post 233718)
hm, that definitely helps although I thought it was possible to avoid using OnUpdate scripts :(

Those OnUpdate scripts don't run all the time; They run once right after the bar value changes, and then they shut themselves off. The CPU usage for that kind of throttle is insignificant.

Monolit 04-03-11 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saiket (Post 233732)
Those OnUpdate scripts don't run all the time; They run once right after the bar value changes, and then they shut themselves off. The CPU usage for that kind of throttle is insignificant.

Oh well, you're right and this method worked, got exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

P.S.
Just out of curiosity why do you wrap your OnUpdate functions in 'do ... end' loop? I've read something about this a while ago... something about optimizing lua code, but can't really find it right now, so could you please enlighten me?

Saiket 04-03-11 07:46 PM

They don't improve performance, but they are useful for creating private variable scopes. Only the CreateBarReverse function can see and use OnChanged and UpdaterOnUpdate, since they're declared inside of the do-end block.

zork 04-05-11 03:16 PM

Other thing you can do. Have a transparent statusbar just for the values and have two simple textures that get updated once the statusbar OnValueChanged event get's fired.

Monolit 04-06-11 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zork (Post 233846)
Other thing you can do. Have a transparent statusbar just for the values and have two simple textures that get updated once the statusbar OnValueChanged event get's fired.

Well it is pretty much what Saiket offered, but in his case he doesn't create those textures, but use already existing one.

Anyway I got it working, just not sure whether I like the outcome or not :P

Dawn 04-07-11 08:55 AM

You might consider sharing your solution, other might be interested in it, too. As this has been brought up quite a few times in the past. :)

Monolit 04-07-11 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawn (Post 233982)
You might consider sharing your solution, other might be interested in it, too. As this has been brought up quite a few times in the past. :)

sure, it's based on Saiket's solution, slightly simplified though:

so first of all we make updater frame and ReverseBar function that will be used to create our reverse bars
lua Code:
  1. local ReverseBar
  2. do
  3.     local UpdaterOnUpdate = function(Updater)
  4.         Updater:Hide()
  5.         local b = Updater:GetParent()
  6.         local tex = b:GetStatusBarTexture()
  7.         tex:ClearAllPoints()
  8.         tex:SetPoint("BOTTOMRIGHT")
  9.         tex:SetPoint("TOPLEFT", b, "TOPRIGHT", (b:GetValue()/select(2,b:GetMinMaxValues())-1)*b:GetWidth(), 0)
  10.     end
  11.     local OnChanged = function(bar)
  12.         bar.Updater:Show()
  13.     end
  14.     function ReverseBar(f)
  15.         local bar = CreateFrame("StatusBar", nil, f)
  16.         bar.Updater = CreateFrame("Frame", nil, bar)
  17.         bar.Updater:Hide()
  18.         bar.Updater:SetScript("OnUpdate", UpdaterOnUpdate)
  19.         bar:SetScript("OnSizeChanged", OnChanged)
  20.         bar:SetScript("OnValueChanged", OnChanged)
  21.         bar:SetScript("OnMinMaxChanged", OnChanged)
  22.         return bar;
  23.     end
  24. end
I also noticed that sometimes hp statusbar stays at 100% (instead of 0) when player is dead or ghost, so I use simple PostUpdateHealth hook to fix that:
lua Code:
  1. lib.PostUpdateHealth = function(s, u, min, max)
  2.     if UnitIsDeadOrGhost(u) then s:SetValue(0) end
  3. end

So then in your style function you just use ReverseBar() instead of 'CreateFrame("StatusBar"...' to make hp bar.
lua Code:
  1. s = ReverseBar(f)
  2. s.PostUpdate = lib.PostUpdateHealth  
  3. f.Health = s

here's the result:

and I actually quite like it

Othgar 01-14-12 06:45 AM

I feel like I'm necro-ing this thread a bit but ohh well here goes....

I'm working on modifying a version oUF_Sandman for my UI, and I am trying to get this to work for me, but I just can't seem to get it. Not sure if I'm missing something or just being an overtired/over-caffinated idiot. I haven't changed any other code from the original yet, just messing with getting the textures right for now. Where should this be added to the code/or what needs to be changed to get this to work?

haste 01-14-12 11:44 AM

As of 4.3, you only need to do StatusBar:SetReverseFill(true) to reverse the direction of the statusbar.

Othgar 01-14-12 03:49 PM

OK let me try editing the right version of the file first before I say it didn't work /facepalm. Never code before coffee and smoke in the morning.....

Othgar 01-14-12 04:15 PM

I added the SetReverseFill(true) to the style section:

Code:

--gen healthbar func
  lib.gen_hpbar = function(f)
    --statusbar
    local s = CreateFrame("StatusBar", nil, f)
    s:SetStatusBarTexture(cfg.statusbar_texture)
        if f.mystyle == "target" then
                s:SetReverseFill(true)
        elseif f.mystyle == "pet" then
                s:SetHeight(32)
        else
                s:SetHeight(retVal(f,64,48,40))
    end
        s:SetWidth(f:GetWidth())
    s:SetPoint("TOP",0,0)
    s:SetFrameLevel(4)

--helper
        local h = CreateFrame("StatusBar", nil, s)
        h:SetFrameLevel(0)
    h:SetStatusBarTexture(cfg.backline)
        if f.mystyle == "player" then
                h:SetPoint("TOPLEFT",-16,10)
                h:SetPoint("BOTTOMRIGHT",11,-82)
        elseif f.mystyle == "target" then
                h:SetReverseFill(true)
                h:SetPoint("TOPRIGHT",10,-16)
                h:SetPoint("BOTTOMLEFT",-82,11)
        elseif f.mystyle == "party" then
                h:SetPoint("TOPLEFT",-9,8)
                h:SetPoint("BOTTOMRIGHT",6,-53)
        elseif f.mystyle == "pet" then
                h:SetPoint("TOPLEFT",-16,4)
                h:SetPoint("BOTTOMRIGHT",5,-40)
        else
                h:SetPoint("TOPLEFT",-10,7)
                h:SetPoint("BOTTOMRIGHT",6,-62)
        end

Now the texture doesn't show up at all on the target frame. (but at least I edited the right file this time :banana:) I tried a few different variations on the setpoints for the "target" and it didn't change anything. I'm not getting any errors just no textures at all.

Othgar 01-14-12 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a quick screenshot of what I have now. Not sure if I just need to mess with the set points more or what, but I'll try again in the morning when I get home from work . I'm still working on powerbar textures which is why they're just green blobs in the screenie.

Attachment 6756

well I tried messing with this some more this morning, and I'm still having no luck. I tried adding a new texture file that is a mirror image of the player hpbar texture and pointing to it in the style functions and still got no where. StatusBar:SetReverseFill(true) either breaks the textures without throwing an error (see previous post) or just doesn't work if I only put it in the gen healthbar function or the helper section individually. I know I have to be missing something, I just have no idea what.

Monolit 01-15-12 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haste (Post 251038)
As of 4.3, you only need to do StatusBar:SetReverseFill(true) to reverse the direction of the statusbar.

That's a little bit different thing,
StatusBar:SetReverseFill(true) will just essentially mirror your status bar, and what I meant with "Reverse status bars" is that it also changes the way it behaves, i.e. at 100% HP status bar would stay at 0% mark, at 70% HP it would be 30% filled etc. (picture above actually represents it quite well).

The method posted above still works flawlessly @ live realms and should be quite easy to implement in any layout.

Actually I think it can be done a little bit differently using SetReverseFill, but it would require pretty much the same texture manipulations in PostUpdate or Override callbacks. MAYBE it would be a little bit more efficient performance-wise though.

Othgar 01-17-12 04:20 PM

I finally got my textures switched around so everything looked better but SetReverseFill(true) still didn't really work out for me. I tried to enable it on my player frame to get the bars to fill from left to right, and instead of filling the bars it actually shifted the textures and skewed them as the bar depleted. I tried a bunch of stuff to try to get them right but nothing seemed to work. I'll probably try again either later tonight or tomorrow and I'll see if I can fraps a vid of it.

oUF_Lust is the outcome of it for now.

zork 01-20-12 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haste (Post 251038)

... Holy smokes. Need to remember that.

haste 01-21-12 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monolit (Post 251080)
That's a little bit different thing,
StatusBar:SetReverseFill(true) will just essentially mirror your status bar, and what I meant with "Reverse status bars" is that it also changes the way it behaves, i.e. at 100% HP status bar would stay at 0% mark, at 70% HP it would be 30% filled etc. (picture above actually represents it quite well).

The method posted above still works flawlessly @ live realms and should be quite easy to implement in any layout.

Actually I think it can be done a little bit differently using SetReverseFill, but it would require pretty much the same texture manipulations in PostUpdate or Override callbacks. MAYBE it would be a little bit more efficient performance-wise though.

You could simplify it down to:
Lua Code:
  1. Health:SetReverseFill(true)
  2. Health.PostUpdate = function(Health, unit, min, max)
  3.    Health:SetValue(max - Health:GetValue())
  4. end