WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbonite Archive (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Issues (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45321)

Kamatayan 11-30-12 12:12 PM

Issues

1.Maps in Scenarios not working at all
2.Map for new daily quests Ruins of Ogudei is no good at all can't even use Carbonite in that area.
3.Quest objectives not showing correctly on the map(this has been a issue for some time now)

How much longer can we expect this to go on no offense to the Author but this is the worst i have ever seen Carbonite act in a long time.I understand the Author wants to make Carbonite much sleeker and smaller than before but i have to ask would it not make more sense to make it fully functionally first?

Rythal 11-30-12 12:24 PM

No... no it wouldn't make more sense.

I'm not the original author, i'm just working with what I was given and doing the best I can.

There is a huge flaw with carbonite and the way they stored the information which has reared it's ugly head ... Carbonite the way it's written can only "fully" support at most 223 area's / zones / continents. We are well past that now with MoP (the new scenarios put me at 246 in my beta build). Some parts of it work fine even going past that limit, other parts will not (like quests, they only allocated a single character in the bytecode for zone.. so 255 - 32).

Things NEED to be rewritten, and redone, not just because I want to.

Kamatayan 11-30-12 12:43 PM

Ok fair enough hopefully you will have this mess sorted out soon.It just gets annoying at times when it does not work at all like in the Ruins of Ogudei area.Had to turn it off in that area just to get the quest done because the Carbonite map was so messed up.

mondoz 12-05-12 05:42 PM

Hats off to Rythal for dealing with this huge mess!
Thanks for the updates you've given us so far! :banana:

Xcari 12-07-12 12:07 PM

Rythal has done a favor to us all by taking on such an enormous undertaking. Without his effort to date, we'd have nothing. Amazing that some are critical rather than supportive. Ok to report where problems are found; not ok to complain.

CaliPatriot 12-07-12 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcari (Post 270340)
Rythal has done a favor to us all by taking on such an enormous undertaking. Without his effort to date, we'd have nothing. Amazing that some are critical rather than supportive. Ok to report where problems are found; not ok to complain.

In complete agreement!!!:banana: Thanks Rythal, I don't know what I would do without the maps of Carboniteaddon.

nightshade00013 12-07-12 05:14 PM

Rythal has done an AWESOME job so far. If you don't believe it then please download the released source by the original authors and see just how much more is broken.

If you read through the forums even a little bit its easy to see that Carbonite as it is is going through "growing pains" and I am guessing that though it is a great addon Rythal would probably have it easier if he were to go back to coding his "RUMA" instead.

But since Carbonite is and has been a good addon he has chosen to stick with it. Hats off to him and lets all remember that without him doing what he can Carbonite would be DEAD.

Madu 12-09-12 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamatayan (Post 269912)
Ok fair enough hopefully you will have this mess sorted out soon.It just gets annoying at times when it does not work at all like in the Ruins of Ogudei area.Had to turn it off in that area just to get the quest done because the Carbonite map was so messed up.

Try to use "Toggle Full size minimap" after entering cave in in Ogudei ruins, works well for me.
Also it eliminates most of false positive questgivers in other areas.
Of course it works only, when option "Move minimap into Carbonite map" and "Minimap shape is square" are checked.

Attachment 7439

jeffy162 12-12-12 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madu (Post 270454)
Try to use "Toggle Full size minimap" after entering cave in in Ogudei ruins, works well for me.
Also it eliminates most of false positive questgivers in other areas.
Of course it works only, when option "Move minimap into Carbonite map" and "Minimap shape is square" are checked.

Attachment 7439

I am unsure if this is what you mean, but: You can open Carbonites options to the "Map Minimap" page and make sure there is a mark in the option check box for "Minimap toggles full size for indoor areas (not in cities)". That will usually toggle the Blizzard Minimap full size when you enter caves (as long as there is a map for the cave), and buildings not in a major city.

Taheraliel 12-16-12 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rythal (Post 269909)
No... no it wouldn't make more sense.

I'm not the original author, i'm just working with what I was given and doing the best I can.

There is a huge flaw with carbonite and the way they stored the information which has reared it's ugly head ... Carbonite the way it's written can only "fully" support at most 223 area's / zones / continents. We are well past that now with MoP (the new scenarios put me at 246 in my beta build). Some parts of it work fine even going past that limit, other parts will not (like quests, they only allocated a single character in the bytecode for zone.. so 255 - 32).

Things NEED to be rewritten, and redone, not just because I want to.

Wow, that seems rather short-sighted of Carbonite's original developers especially after Blizzard started to release instance maps. This should have been very obvious two years ago, and now in Mists there are not only Dungeon and Raid maps for everything but also Micro instance maps for Scenarios and practically every cave and earthwork in the game. If they weren't going to put in the time to fix it then, Carbonite should have gone GPL so that it wouldn't be in the crisis recovery mode it is in now.

Doskious 12-16-12 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taheraliel (Post 270729)
Wow, that seems rather short-sighted of Carbonite's original developers especially after Blizzard started to release instance maps. This should have been very obvious two years ago, and now in Mists there are not only Dungeon and Raid maps for everything but also Micro instance maps for Scenarios and practically every cave and earthwork in the game. If they weren't going to put in the time to fix it then, Carbonite should have gone GPL so that it wouldn't be in the crisis recovery mode it is in now.

From what I've seen poking around in the source code (both the modified source and the original), I'd guess that the original "developers" were following the traditional and "professional" developer design practice of sacrificing robust code for efficiency, both in execution and in generation. While this procedure seems revolting to me, it is perfectly in tune with the business mindset that has prevailed in US software engineering houses. Indeed, in almost all but the largest firms, this practice is still followed to some degree, with the assumption that any bugs down the road can be can be addressed by a quick-n-dirty patch then (the Carbonite code does show indications of several rounds of this kind of quick patching). To be fair, for small development houses, often this stance seems to be the only way to remain profitable in competition with the big companies, but that doesn't make it any better in terms of good coding practices...

Edited to add: I'm talking here about the people Rythal inherited Carbonite from, and trying to explain why "fixing" it might be much more complex than might be expected. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I think it's astounding that Rythal has been able to get as much working as there is.

Petrah 12-16-12 04:42 PM

C'mon folks. This is getting out of hand. Be appreciative of the work that goes into what we have now and what is to come. Rythal has done the best with what he had, and will be offering better releases as he gets things fixed to where he thinks they need to be.

He's picking up from where the previous dev's left us, which was nowhere for quite some time. He communicates with us and keeps us informed, where the previous devs did not. He pays attention to the bugs we report and pushes out updates, where the previous devs did not. What more do you want from the guy?

Chmee 12-17-12 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petrah (Post 270742)
What more do you want from the guy?

I can haz cookie?;)

Petrah 12-17-12 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chmee (Post 270762)
I can haz cookie?;)

Yes. You can haz cookie. ;)

mjumnito 12-17-12 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petrah (Post 270783)
Yes. You can haz cookie. ;)

whoa, hold up. I want a cookie too :(:rolleyes:

Rythal 12-17-12 05:09 PM

Forget you guys, I want a cookie First.

Petrah 12-17-12 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjumnito (Post 270786)
whoa, hold up. I want a cookie too :(:rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rythal (Post 270799)
Forget you guys, I want a cookie First.

Cookiez all 'round fer zee gewd boiez n gurlz! :banana:

Chmee 12-17-12 08:08 PM

Yay!!:banana::banana:

Chris Meece 01-03-13 11:02 AM

I disabled cookies. :(