WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   AddOn Search/Requests (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Emoticons.... IN WOW (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8292)

0Blackmage0 01-30-07 04:20 PM

Emoticons.... IN WOW

Does anyone know if it would be possable to replace the text faces in WoW (in the Chat window) with emoticons like in IM programs. So that when someone put " : ) " then it would place a :) or is someone put a " :@ " then it would put a :mad:

Anywho it's just a thought, because i always see people put in various faces in WoW...

Only thing is that someone else would need to make it since i have no programing talent at all...

Seerah 01-30-07 08:37 PM

That would be a nice mod, however there are lots of different ways that people type out faces... : ) :-) :^) ^.^ : D XD etc

0Blackmage0 01-31-07 08:57 AM

Re

It's just a thought, but couldnt someone just add more faces ": ) ^.^" Im thinking a simple user interface where the user could add new faces and seperate them by putting a cheracter that isnt usualy in faces..

| [ :@ ]
| Add text to be changed to :( (seperate with " & "
| [ : (&:-( ]
|
| {Save and Close} {Load Defalt Smilys}
|_____________________________________________|

Seerah 01-31-07 10:11 AM

That could work. (I know nothing about writing mods, though. ;) )

0Blackmage0 01-31-07 10:59 PM

Hopefully the idea works out and someone decides to take up this mod.... (That means you mod authors) I dont think it would be that difficult, its just i dont have the talent or know-how to do it....

P.S. If someone gives me a bit of info on how i could get started on this one... that is if no one wants to do it

tattooedpierre 01-31-07 11:18 PM

I'm not so sure this could work. You'd have to insert a graphic into chat; which I don't think is possible.

0Blackmage0 02-02-07 01:34 AM

Is there anyway to create a different window seperate form chat (just hide the regular window) that oculd be used for grapics and text?

tattooedpierre 02-02-07 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0Blackmage0
Is there anyway to create a different window seperate form chat (just hide the regular window) that oculd be used for grapics and text?

Yeah, this would be the only approach (I think). You would have to recreate the chat system in general to accommodate graphical elements. I'd love to say I'd give it a go but I've got enough troubles with IWD :P

0Blackmage0 02-04-07 09:06 PM

So this is a no go then? No Mod Auther will try to make this? Anyone have any thoughs on how this could be begun?

kneeki 02-05-07 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0Blackmage0
So this is a no go then? No Mod Auther will try to make this? Anyone have any thoughs on how this could be begun?

Well, you could look into GreyHoof's mod EavesDrop (sp?), he recreated a 'combat log' by using frames and he inserted graphics and so forth in it. You could send an email his way to see if he's up to the task, which he could just cannibalize his current addon to get this to work. I however, do not have the skills to complete a mod like this.

Mazzlefizz 02-05-07 02:21 PM

One way would be to just parse chat message and substitute out the emoticon text with enough spaces to hold a graphic. Then just anchor the graphic to the appropriate part of a scrollframe. The tricky part would be knowing how many pixels wide a chunk of text is in a particular font is, so you know where to put the emoticon horizontally. Knowing when to delete the graphic might also be an issue.

If this is the only way it could be done, I think it would be too much of a hack job to be worth doing or running, for that matter.

0Blackmage0 03-22-08 10:39 PM

Bump!!

This is a bump to my original idea, i have tryed the various suggestions, but i was wondering if anyone knows if any changes to the WoW API has made this more plausable/possable.

ORIGINAL POST
Quote:

Does anyone know if it would be possable to replace the text faces in WoW (in the Chat window) with emoticons like in IM programs. So that when someone put " : ) " then it would place a smily or is someone put a " :@ " then it would put an angry face

Anywho it's just a thought, because i always see people put in various faces in WoW...

Only thing is that someone else would need to make it since i have no programing talent at all...

| [ :@ ]
| Add text to be changed to :( (seperate with " & "
| [ : (&:-( ]
|
| {Save and Close} {Load Defalt Smilys}
|_____________________________________________|

Llivavin 03-22-08 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0Blackmage0 (Post 85783)
This is a bump to my original idea, i have tryed the various suggestions, but i was wondering if anyone knows if any changes to the WoW API has made this more plausable/possable.

ORIGINAL POST

http://wowui.worldofwar.net/?p=mod&m=6238|

its been done for 2.4 due to the whole addons being able to put textures in chat.

theres also another one on this site that adds class/race/itemtype/spellicon infront of linked things.

0Blackmage0 03-24-08 05:59 AM

Awesome!!! Thanks man, didn't realize it had been done