WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   oUF (Otravi Unit Frames) (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   oUF - General discussion (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18362)

haste 10-01-08 08:57 AM

oUF - General discussion

The old oUF thread over at WoWace has become, quite a monster to say it softly. It's a mess of bug reports, layout issues and general issues/feature people have/want.

Please use this thread for general oUF discussion only (non-layout specific stuff).

Related forum thread: oUF - Layout discussion
Bug reports and feature requests should be posted over at the author portal.

duhwhat 10-01-08 12:21 PM

moving the safe zone discussion over here.

is it even possible to calculate a reasonably accurate safe zone for a channeled cast?

the safe zone would presumably be calculated and displayed based on the latency at the beginning of the cast. compared to relatively short cast times like shadowbolt (2.5s when talented) a 5 second channel has much more of a chance to have a different latency at channeling start vs. channeling end. in light of this, would it be possible to delay safe zone calculation/display until a channel is 50% or even 75% complete?

haste 10-01-08 12:35 PM

The safe zone calculation is done during the OnUpdate of the casting bar. The latency information we have isn't real-time however, it's polled every 5 sec or so.
I don't remember how often it updates, you can check it yourself by doing: /run ChatFrame1:AddMessage(select(3, GetNetStats()))

Channeled spells are tick based however, so I'm not really sure how helpful a safe zone would be. It also seems that the last tick happens slightly after the cast has finished.

duhwhat 10-01-08 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haste (Post 103211)
Channeled spells are tick based however, so I'm not really sure how helpful a safe zone would be. It also seems that the last tick happens slightly after the cast has finished.

I thought the safe zone should be included to minimize downtime between chain-casts of channeled spells or a regular cast following a channel, but if the last tick is happening after the cast, this is irrelevant (potentially counter-productive). it then seems that the best practice for channeled spells is to begin the next cast after the castbar has disappeared.

haste 10-01-08 12:49 PM

I generally just use:
Code:

/cast [nochanneling:Mind Flay] Mind Flay
It won't maximize your DPS of course. I don't think the potential gain from interrupting a cast at the end is very significant either :). Adding a safe zone for channels isn't much work at all however, it's basically copy-pasting of the code for casting :p.

duhwhat 10-01-08 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haste (Post 103217)
I generally just use:
Code:

/cast [nochanneling:Mind Flay] Mind Flay
It won't maximize your DPS of course. I don't think the potential gain from interrupting a cast at the end is very significant either :). Adding a safe zone for channels isn't much work at all however, it's basically copy-pasting of the code for casting :p.

i moved to quartz from azcastbar/oUF castbar in an attempt to avoid the button-mashing at the end of channels that this kind of macro (which i've used before) involves. i -wanted- to believe that having a safe zone at the end of channels and a single keypress in this safe zone would be more efficient than a nochanneling macro, especially when moving from a channel to a regular cast, rather than chaining channels. moving back to nochanneling tonight : ) but keeping quartz till someone makes a GCD spark addon/plugin.

Seerah 10-01-08 02:29 PM

I've been trying out oUF again lately on beta and noticed a discrepancy between the oUF castbar and the azCastBar's safe zones. oUF always showed more latency than aCB. Attempting to move while in the oUF safe zone would cancel my cast, while moving during the aCB safe zone was fine. This may have been due to fluctuating latency on beta, but it was in Shattrath with hardly anyone around. Will keep an eye on it again tonight. :)

haste 10-01-08 02:45 PM

There has been a lot of talk regarding the safe zone in oUF. When I reviewed the castbar code a while ago, I also changed the safe zone to represent exactly what your current latency was, and not more. People complained about it however, so the math was reverted back to the original state.

With the current arithmetics the safe zone is ten times larger than what the current latency is. If you feel experimental then you could try to change 1e5 to 2e5 in elements/castbar.lua. This will make the safe zone be five times the latency.

I don't know how azCastBar does its latency handling so I can't really comment on that.

MoonWitch 10-01-08 02:51 PM

Actually, Haste, I was the big complainer ;) (And the battle RAGES on, was an awesome commit message). My shock was mainly that all of the sudden, I had no safezone anymore. Looking back at it now, it could be because this happened while I hadn't gotten used to the latency on EU servers as well. If you go from 120/200 ping to 50-70, your safezone gets a whole lot smaller. I'll try again with your calculations, but safezones actually seem to be freaking iffy to deal with imho.

haste 10-01-08 02:55 PM

It is :(. In a perfect world it would equal the latency you currently have, but I guess twice the latency might be better. Guess I should do some testing on the beta servers tomorrow.

MoonWitch 10-01-08 03:49 PM

But Seerah is right about it though. Perhaps I personally had grown so used to seeing a huge red bar that when it wasn't there I lost it :P (But hey, I made an awesome firey post session about it! Passion galore!)

Seerah 10-01-08 05:00 PM

You mean I can blame it all on you, moonie? :D hehe

I personally think 10x is a bit much. Especially since it was pretty reliable that when the cast bar entered the "safe zone," I wasn't really "safe"...

MoonWitch 10-01-08 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seerah (Post 103241)
You mean I can blame it all on you, moonie? :D hehe

I personally think 10x is a bit much. Especially since it was pretty reliable that when the cast bar entered the "safe zone," I wasn't really "safe"...

Yeah, some of it was definately me. Poor haste got hell from me that day. It showed just how much of a math/physics geek I am then.

d87 10-02-08 03:40 AM

oUF.colors.health variable should be used in not overriden health update if i understand, tho it isn't and nowhere else too

haste 10-02-08 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d87 (Post 103295)
oUF.colors.health variable should be used in not overriden health update if i understand, tho it isn't and nowhere else too

Post a bug report :3

coree 10-02-08 06:43 AM

is it intended that the casttime increases instead of decreases ?
i prefer a decreasing casttime, how can i change this ?

haste 10-02-08 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coree (Post 103309)
is it intended that the casttime increases instead of decreases ?
i prefer a decreasing casttime, how can i change this ?

1) Yes
2) Currently the only way to change it is to replace the OnUpdate with your own.

Seerah 10-02-08 09:46 AM

Curious...

Quote:

Originally Posted by haste (Post 103315)
1) Yes

Why? Seems unintuitive impo...

haste 10-02-08 09:53 AM

There isn't really much reason to it at all. The original code had it hard-coded in that way, and no-one has mentioned anything about it. So I left it that way when I reviewed the code.

Seerah 10-02-08 09:58 AM

Feature request submitted. ;)