WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   nUI: Suggestion Box (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   A chat suggestion (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33416)

phetish 06-24-10 01:09 AM

A chat suggestion

I know there are still fixes coming since 3.3.5 dropped but I thought I toss this out there:

Reduce the size of Chat tabs - as it is, I can't get more than 3 tabs to show up and that makes it easy to miss incoming whispers, etc. Reducing the tab names to just 3 characters only reduced the tab size on the General tab - the others remained the same size.

I'm using 5.06.25 at 1280x1024 in case it matters...

spiel2001 06-24-10 04:40 AM

I'll keep that in mind. Not sure I'll spend much time on it in nUI5 since it's end-of-life... but I will address it in nUi6.

Xrystal 06-24-10 07:27 AM

Just a side note I did notice in my browsing that the blizz code auto sizes the tabs when a new name is given so its quite possible that just renaming it will resize it :D

Aywn 07-06-10 02:49 AM

Possible fix

while playing at 1280 x 768 the edit box is actually over the chat box! i had to change the chat frame lua file to raise the edit box from

editBox:SetPoint( "TOPLEFT", "ChatFrame"..i, "TOPLEFT", 0, 5 );
editBox:SetPoint( "TOPRIGHT", "ChatFrame"..i, "TOPRIGHT", 0, 5 );

editBox:SetPoint( "TOPLEFT", "ChatFrame"..i, "TOPLEFT", 0, 50 );
editBox:SetPoint( "TOPRIGHT", "ChatFrame"..i, "TOPRIGHT", 0, 50 );

and then it fit between the aura box and the console.

This is a awesome mod all my friends use it and as a beginning lua programmer I am very thankful for the notations you put in the files so I can see what does what.

-Aywn

spiel2001 07-06-10 04:04 AM

The chat frame edit box is ALWAYS over the chat frame box, at the top, and always has been since nUI was originally created. I'm surprised at how many people think this is a new behavior since 3.3.5 -- however, if you are running 5.06.26 or newer then the chat edit box has a black background behind it so the background text does not show up behind it when it is open.

I'm also surprised by how many people are bothered by the box being over the text at the top of the chat frame... it's old news.

In any event, I appreciate the kind word and I'm glad you were able to modify it to suit your need.

Aywn 07-07-10 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiel2001 (Post 196091)
The chat frame edit box is ALWAYS over the chat frame box, at the top, and always has been since nUI was originally created. I'm surprised at how many people think this is a new behavior since 3.3.5 -- however, if you are running 5.06.26 or newer then the chat edit box has a black background behind it so the background text does not show up behind it when it is open.

I'm also surprised by how many people are bothered by the box being over the text at the top of the chat frame... it's old news.

In any event, I appreciate the kind word and I'm glad you were able to modify it to suit your need.

I know it's always been there but recently the problem was that with the background being clear now it was hard to tell what you typed and what was just text in the chat box...

-Aywn

Friends don't let friends be Republican.

spiel2001 07-07-10 05:10 AM

The background is black, not clear? I think it's been black since about 5.06.24 or so. Are you sure you're using the most recent version of nUI? 5.06.27 at present. Check you chat frame message at login and see what version nUI says it is loading.

Aywn 07-08-10 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiel2001 (Post 196283)
The background is black, not clear? I think it's been black since about 5.06.24 or so. Are you sure you're using the most recent version of nUI? 5.06.27 at present. Check you chat frame message at login and see what version nUI says it is loading.

what i mean is that the text in the chat box is visable under the edit box when you try to type and yes i'm using the most recent version of nui+

-Aywn

spiel2001 07-08-10 04:01 AM

I don't understand... the chat edit box has a black background and has had one for several versions now. Can you post a screen shot please?

Aywn 07-08-10 09:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by spiel2001 (Post 196480)
I don't understand... the chat edit box has a black background and has had one for several versions now. Can you post a screen shot please?

Gladly

before editing(I moved the text up to simulate full text box)
Attachment 4590

after editing(If you look at the edit box you will see the chair in the background proving a clear background)
Attachment 4591

-Aywn

spiel2001 07-08-10 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay -- I can tell you for a fact that is *NOT* what the nUI 5.06.28 chat edit box looks like. Either you are *NOT* running nUI 5.06.28 or you have another mod that is interfering.

The nUI edit box does not have the silver frame around the outside of the chat edit and has a solid black background. Look at the attached image which also has text scrolled behind the chat edit box and not the differences.

DesertDwarf 07-08-10 07:06 PM

Hrm. I wish mine looked like yours, Scott. Currently, mine looks like the phetish's. When I disable all other addons and test the Conversation thing tonight, I'll see if mine looks like yours or phetish's and let you know the difference. If it looks like phetish's, I'll post a list of my addons so we can compare which ones we have in common that might be messing with this.

Incidentally, my chat setting is in IM mode, not Classic.

DesertDwarf 07-08-10 08:03 PM

Hmm...figures. I pruned my addons folder a few days ago and got rid of some I don't want any more. Apparently, one of them caused the problem because when I logged in just now, it looks the same as Scott's.

phetish, any chance you can post a list of your addons?

Aywn 07-09-10 06:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by spiel2001 (Post 196572)
Okay -- I can tell you for a fact that is *NOT* what the nUI 5.06.28 chat edit box looks like. Either you are *NOT* running nUI 5.06.28 or you have another mod that is interfering.

The nUI edit box does not have the silver frame around the outside of the chat edit and has a solid black background. Look at the attached image which also has text scrolled behind the chat edit box and not the differences.

It was me. In the last patch blizzard gave two options for chat style.
Attachment 4593
The IM style is what is defaulted to be selected and that is where the silver frame came from... Stupid Blizzard changes.

-Aywn

DesertDwarf 07-09-10 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aywn (Post 196669)
It was me. In the last patch blizzard gave two options for chat style.

The IM style is what is defaulted to be selected and that is where the silver frame came from... Stupid Blizzard changes.

Erm, yeah. Come to think of it, I made that change to my settings around the same time I pruned my addons.

/sigh

spiel2001 07-10-10 06:26 AM

Hmmm... I use the IM style and I don't get the silver frame. Odd.

kliebor 07-11-10 04:35 AM

I also use IM style chat with no oddball frame either.

I have other issues as stated in my support thread, but no odd frame or hard to see entry box. :)

Must be something interfering

Dave:banana:

Aywn 07-11-10 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiel2001 (Post 196782)
Hmmm... I use the IM style and I don't get the silver frame. Odd.

I think i figured it out in the chatbox lua code there is some code that looks like this
_G["ChatFrame"..i.."EditBoxLeft"]:SetAlpha( 0.0 );
_G["ChatFrame"..i.."EditBoxRight"]:SetAlpha( 0.0 );
_G["ChatFrame"..i.."EditBoxMid"]:SetAlpha( 0.0 );

I had changed it to look like this
_G["ChatFrame"..i.."EditBoxLeft"]:SetAlpha( 1.0 );
_G["ChatFrame"..i.."EditBoxRight"]:SetAlpha( 1.0 );
_G["ChatFrame"..i.."EditBoxMid"]:SetAlpha( 1.0 );

and that created the silver frame we're talking about

-Aywn

spiel2001 07-11-10 09:09 AM

That explains much... I didn't realize you were modifying the nUI source.

You do realize that once you go in and start changing nUI code, all bets are off in terms of me being able to support it, yes?

Xrystal 07-11-10 09:24 AM

Rofl, you're best bet is to rig up a mini addon that does that changes those little small things for you :D that way you can then say .. oh yeah I have an addon that changes that part whenever we ask that question :D