WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Authoring Discussion (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   /sigh ... Here we go again (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43892)

Cairenn 08-14-12 09:40 PM

/sigh ... Here we go again

Another site violating author intellectual property rights. :mad:

Have at 'em guys: World of Addons

So far they have about 810 addons that they have scraped from wherever and uploaded to their site. According to them, they want you to sign up on their site so that you may 'claim' your addons.

I guess they are hoping to get away with that old adage of "It's easier to ask for forgiveness [after the fact], than for permission [beforehand]."

As always, if there is anything we can do to help you guys, just let us know.

*starts rooting around for the old C&D and DMCA take down templates*

Qupe 08-14-12 10:06 PM

Is this really TenTonHammer or is that an ad at the bottom of the page?
I thought they were somewhat respectable?

Saiket 08-14-12 10:14 PM

I got an email from them about a month ago that asked me to opt in. It seemed like a pretty obvious automated spam message so I ignored it, but a lot of good that did me.

Quote:

Dear Saiket:

I am writing to you to request permission to post your addon, _Cursor, on our site, World of Addons. World of Addons, is an exciting new site dedicated solely to World of Warcraft game modifications. While currently not live, World of Addons hopes to become one of the most up to date and easy to use addon sites on the web today. In order to make this dream become a reality, we need to collect the best World of Warcraft addons from all over the web. Your addon, , has been chosen to be part of our first round of additions to our exciting site.

World of Addons comes complete with its own addon launcher users will be able to download and use your creation with just a few quick clicks. World of Addons is easy to navigate, visually appealing, and a pleasure to use for both authors and the general public. World of Addons also boasts a prominent Paypal link that will allow users to easily send donations your way.

By allowing us to feature your addon on our site, you will not only be able to indulge in all of the above, but can also participate in a special preview event that will allow YOU personally to input feedback on the site. This will allow you, for perhaps the first time ever, to have direct influence on the site hosting your addon.

If World of Addons sounds like the type of website you want your addons featured on, please respond back as soon as possible either by e-mailing me at [email protected]. We thank you for your time and consideration and look forward to hearing from and hopefully working with you in the future.

Sincerely,

Jason a.k.a Memnock
World of Addons Administration Team

p3lim 08-14-12 10:15 PM

Also a site called AllAddon, which in my eyes is a bit worse.

Cairenn 08-14-12 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qupe (Post 259641)
Is this really TenTonHammer or is that an ad at the bottom of the page?
I thought they were somewhat respectable?

Yup, it really is TTH.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saiket (Post 259642)
I got an email from them about a month ago that asked me to opt in. It seemed like a pretty obvious automated spam message so I ignored it, but a lot of good that did me.

Saiket,

Yeah, sorry about that. We weren't informed of them spamming everyone for a while, so they were able to get a bunch of PMs out. Sorry. =/

Xrystal 08-14-12 10:23 PM

Well, I seem to have been ignored on both sites so far, but have on Scott's behalf asked worldofaddons to either take down the nUI files they have belonging to him until they get his permission or link to the official download page here. Alladdon has an author page set up for him so not 100% sure that he didn't give permission there.

Saiket 08-14-12 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 259644)
Saiket,

Yeah, sorry about that. We weren't informed of them spamming everyone for a while, so they were able to get a bunch of PMs out. Sorry. =/

Oh, that was an email. I didn't get a PM, so thanks for stopping them on that front. :)

Seerah 08-14-12 10:33 PM

The site's by Ten Ton Hammer - you would think they've been around long enough to know better. It looks like they scraped the downloads from Curse, since SM-Blizzard is the only addon of mine that they've got. And they don't list author names at all unless they happened to pick up a commit log from Curse as well. argh

Saiket: I didn't get any such email, but I don't have my email address out there for my addons. In which case, I didn't reply to "opt-in" either.

Qupe: It really looks to be Ten Ton Hammer. The "About Us" and "Legal" links go to that site and the copyright is the same company that owns Ten Ton Hammer.

I contacted them using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page with this message:
Quote:

Many of the addons that you have scraped from other download sites (or was it just Curse?) are All Rights Reserved. ARR is not a license. ARR does not give you any permissions to redistribute the addons. By copyright law, you are required to remove all ARR addons from your site, as well as any other addons under licenses which limit redistribution, unless you receive explicit permission from the authors to host them. This includes my SharedMedia-Blizzard and also SharedMedia (which I am co-author).

Permission is something that must be granted on the front-end.

If you do not comply, expect Cease and Desist letters from myself and many other authors. If you were unaware of what ARR meant, I suggest that you discuss licenses (and ARR) with your company's lawyers before beginning such an ambitious project in the future.

Seerah 08-14-12 10:36 PM

I don't see contact info for the other site p3lim linked. Could someone post it if they find it? I have to get a few things ready before the first day of school (with kids) tomorrow.

Xrystal 08-14-12 10:39 PM

That would explain why they don't have any of mine yet as I don't host on curse now and had mine removed from there.

Cairenn 08-14-12 10:58 PM

For anyone that wants, here's the thread that has the sample DMCA take down notice: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=22595

p3lim 08-14-12 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seerah (Post 259648)
I don't see contact info for the other site p3lim linked. Could someone post it if they find it? I have to get a few things ready before the first day of school (with kids) tomorrow.

You can find it by querying it on http://who.is/

Phanx 08-14-12 11:22 PM

Here are the relevant URLs and contact information. They're not linked to avoid giving them page rank on Google/other search engines, so you'll have to copy and paste.

alladdon.com
No contact informating is listed on the site, but the administrative contact for the domain name is listed as [email protected], and the website is hosted by EraNet, who can be contacted at [email protected] or by other means listed on www.eranet.com/customer/contact.net.

worldofaddons.com
A number of email addresses are listed on their "About Us" page at www.tentonhammer.com/aboutus. You can also contact them through the "Claim An Addon" page at www.worldofaddons.com/claim. You can contact their web host (Convoke) at [email protected] or mail it to the address listed on their www.convoke.com/Contact_Us page.

I also contacted Razer at [email protected] and informed them what the douchebags at TenTonHammer were using their products to promote. Not sure whether they need approval from Razer to use their brand and products that way or not, though.

Also added both sites to the "Unauthorized Addon Sites" thread over on WowAce:
http://forums.wowace.com/showthread.php?t=16062

AcidWeb 08-15-12 12:36 AM

Phanx: Let me know if any way of removing addons from alladdon will work.

p3lim 08-15-12 12:52 AM

I've sent them a DMCA takedown notice, I'll let you know if I get an answer from them.

p3lim 08-15-12 01:00 AM

The person that was responsible for addons.hotwow.com is also the person responsible for alladdon.com.
A simple who.is search confirmed that.

http://www.who.is/domain_archive-com/hotwow.com/
http://www.who.is/domain_archive-com/alladdon.com/

Elkano 08-15-12 03:05 AM

I got a mail from them, too, but with a slightly different text than the one Saiket posted:
Quote:

If World of Addons sounds like the type of website you want your addons featured on, please respond back as soon as possible either by e-mailing me at [email protected]. If no response is forthcoming by July 21st, we will assume your consent for the use of your addon. We thank you for your time and consideration and look forward to hearing from and hopefully working with you and your addons in the future.
So they turned the opt-in into an opt-out...

Cairenn 08-15-12 03:14 AM

Which is so completely wrong ...

Phanx 08-15-12 04:53 AM

I like how they have a whole page on their site just for claiming that all the "original" material on the site is copyrighted by them, but they apparently have no idea how copyright actually works.

p3lim 08-15-12 04:57 AM

They must have some clue, seeing as they trademarked their "main attraction".

Cladhaire 08-15-12 04:59 AM

I was originally emailed by Memnock, and I did not respond at the time because frankly I am busy and I did not want to support my addons on another website at the time.

It is clear that this was an empty gesture, since they knew very well they needed to ask for a license to distribute my addons and chose to do it anyway in violation of my addon licenses.

Jason's information is as follows:

Jason Bechdel
[email protected]

Please keep it civil and professional. If you don't have a reason to be contacting him, then don't.

SephirothWS 08-15-12 05:46 AM

This is just sad, doesn't TenTonHammer know better? They obviously should since their PlayerScore addon and site is trademarked by them, so why didn't they consult their lawyers before doing this?

While I agree with them on the problems with Curse (Have to pay for one-click-update) ... I disagree with them in their tactics on how they obtain their addons. They even have an entire section under their "Author Tab" where you can import an addon from another site. ... How the heck does that work? *Goes to uninstall PlayerScore*

Nevcairiel 08-15-12 06:00 AM

My story is even funnier.
I was also contacted by Jason, asking for permission to host Bartender4, and his mail did not have the "if you don't reply, we'll take your addon" clause, it read like a normal mail asking for permission.
In any case, i responded and denied the permission to host Bartender4 on some random addon page which i have never seen or heard of.

Now the fun part.
Bartender4 is not hosted on their page. BUT, all my other addons are. Denying permission for one addon apparently did not make it clear to them that this would apply to all my addons.

I already contacted Jason again explaining my disappointment in their actions and demanded immediate removal of my addons.

Squishy Tia 08-15-12 06:56 AM

I would issue a Cease and Desist letter to Jason, and then contact the ISP hosting their site(s), forwarding a copy of that letter and requesting that the sites be taken down for copyright infringement. This is one case where the DMCA could actually be used for good.

That two-pronged approach should bag this kitty up fairly quickly, especially since they emailed letters with that "opt-out" line in it, which is illegal, and hosting companies are required by federal law to keep copies of all emails sent for a specific period of time.

Baltharus 08-15-12 07:50 AM

Did anybody else get an e-mail yesterday about their new project "Spark"? The first I heard of it was last week and I thought it was a joint effort with the likes of Curse and WoWInterface to have a centralized updater. Never did I ever expect this to happen. Reminds me of the WowMatrix fiasco.

Evolution85 08-15-12 08:30 AM

When I received the announcement e-mail, I was in disbelief. Usually there is some "buzz" about such projects. While I am not very active in the posting side of the add on community, but I visit all the major sites daily and I am pretty much up on anything new.

As soon as I checked out the site I knew immediately something wasn't right. Vast majority of the add ons there are NOT latest releases, as they state. And I was immediately drawn to the fact that NONE of them had given any credit to the authors! Which, is a MAJOR slap in the face. if they expect anyone to trust and respect them, they are going about it in the complete opposite direction!

I am in the midst of preparing for the release of my first major add on myself (When MoP releases). I would never allow it to be posted on a site like that! I expect it will not be around very long though. Without the support of the authors and the add on community it doesnt stand much of a chance.

Baltharus 08-15-12 10:11 AM

Although, I have to say that Playerscore being the Editor's pick made me laugh uncontrollably. Biased much?

Phanx 08-15-12 03:01 PM

gameinworld.ru
Their website contact form is useless, as it apparently does not accept URLs; you can contact the domain name registrant through the form at www.reg.ru/whois/admin_contact?dname=GAMEINWORLD.RU. Their host can be contacted through the "report abuse" form at vps2fast.com/kontakti/.

Petrah 08-15-12 04:16 PM

Retweet:
@TenTonHammer hosting @WorldOfWarcraft addons without the addon authors permission. Addon author community is outraged!

Ketho 08-15-12 04:56 PM

Not really related, but I personally don't mind any Chinese/Korean addon sites rehosting (clean) addons, since in general their userbase isn't proficient in English, and the addon description is mostly translated into their native language ..

Edit: Referring to sites like http://wowui.w.163.com (chinese) and http://wow.inven.co.kr/addon.php (korean)
Please don't target such sites >.<

Seerah 08-15-12 05:07 PM

The agreement I had made with hotwow in the past was that they not host my addons themselves, but instead link to WowInterface for the download.

Shadowhack 08-15-12 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phanx (Post 259652)
alladdon.com
No contact informating is listed on the site, but the administrative contact for the domain name is listed as [email protected], and the website is hosted by EraNet, who can be contacted at [email protected] or by other means listed on www.eranet.com/customer/contact.net.

When I looked up alladdons host it lead me to Sharktech Inc o_O

Elv22 08-15-12 09:13 PM

Yo

Hey all, I found this after doing about 5 minutes of searching online. I thought it was truly hilarious. I'm guessing this is a letter he wrote the author of "GearScoreBreaker". An addon designed back in the day to prevent gearscore from returning correct values on your personal gear.

Quote:

Dear "gearscorebreaker"

We are the proprietors of all copyright in a literary/artistic/musical work entitled "GearScore" (The "Work"). We have reserved all rights in the Work, which was first expressed in material form on January 16, 2009.

It has come to our attention that your work entitled "GearScoreBreaker" is identical/substantially similar to our copyrighted Work. Permission was neither asked nor granted to reproduce our Work and your Work therefore constitutes infringement of our rights. In terms of the Copyright Statutes, we are entitled to an injunction against your continued infringement.

In the circumstances, we demand that you immediately:

1. remove all infringing content and notify us in writing that you have done so;

2. pay a licensing fee in the amount of $2,250 / year;

3. immediately cease the use and distribution of copyrighted material;

I await to hear from you by no later than close of business on December 9th, 2009.
This is written without prejudice to our rights, all of which are hereby expressly reserved.

Yours faithfully,
Kevin C. Foster
Arxkanite / Mirrikat45
[email protected]
http://www.GearScoreAddon.com
So this guy thinks its ok to steal other peoples work unless someone steals his own work?

Phanx 08-15-12 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketho (Post 259693)
Not really related, but I personally don't mind any Chinese/Korean addon sites rehosting (clean) addons, since in general their userbase isn't proficient in English, and the addon description is mostly translated into their native language

I don't really mind that either, in theory, but would it really kill them to ask, or just provide a link instead of rehosting the files?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowhack (Post 259701)
When I looked up alladdons host it lead me to Sharktech Inc o_O

Looked it up where? Their domain's nameservers point to EraNet's servers. Or rather, the nameservers are owned by now.net.cn, which is in Chinese but is obviously advertising web hosting, and clicking "English" on that site redirects to eranet.com.

Torhal 08-15-12 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elv22 (Post 259703)
Hey all, I found this after doing about 5 minutes of searching online. I thought it was truly hilarious. I'm guessing this is a letter he wrote the author of "GearScoreBreaker". An addon designed back in the day to prevent gearscore from returning correct values on your personal gear.

So this guy thinks its ok to steal other peoples work unless someone steals his own work?

That would be the theory. Hypocrisy, all around there.

Fizzlemizz 08-16-12 12:37 AM

There is a long history of people that have created popular "things" believing they are a law unto themselves. Some do it better than others for a while.

Shadowhack 08-16-12 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phanx (Post 259705)
Looked it up where? Their domain's nameservers point to EraNet's servers. Or rather, the nameservers are owned by now.net.cn, which is in Chinese but is obviously advertising web hosting, and clicking "English" on that site redirects to eranet.com.

I looked up the webhost not the place that the domain was registered with.

Jarod24 08-16-12 10:08 AM

Well, i found one of my addons on alladdon.com, i've sent them an email, lets see what happens.

For the future, i'm thinking of adding a new windowframe in my addon.
It will appear for the user ingame on each new release with something like this:

Quote:

This addon is free and is hosted on curse.com (curseforge) and wowinterface.com
If you download it from anywhere else, then please stop using those websites.
They take our work without permission.
-The author.
Ofc, this doesn't do anthing about the websites themselves, but it hopefully will make the user a bit more aware.

any thoughts?

Cladhaire 08-16-12 10:13 AM

If that pops up automatically you'll get dinged for advertising. That's exactly what Blizzard wants to stop with the addon policy, among other things.

Darth Predator 08-16-12 11:06 AM

Well, for MoP releases I personally added a popup warning user that my addons will not work with GearScore enabled and 2 buttons to disable GS or my addon.
Can't think about anything better then that at the moment.

Jarod24 08-16-12 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cladhaire (Post 259719)
If that pops up automatically you'll get dinged for advertising. That's exactly what Blizzard wants to stop with the addon policy, among other things.

hm. would it constitute as 'advertising'?

it simply states where to get offical updates for this specific addon to hopefully make users aware that there exist sites out there that like that russian one that give you a trojan.

it does not mention donations, payment, or anything else.

I belive that it will adhere to the policy, as it is stated here: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1820963720

ofc it wont appear each time you login (that would annoy the h... out of everyone). only each time the addon is updated.

Arrowmaster 08-16-12 11:34 AM

A popup will either anger Blizzard and/or the users. Putting that in an About or Help section of your menus should be perfectly fine.

Blazeflack 08-16-12 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phanx (Post 259705)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowhack (Post 259715)

Would be nice if we could get a definitive answer to this one. I did some research myself and I could only find links to EraNet myself. Has anyone had success with contacting the people behind 'alladdon' or their host?

Shadowed 08-16-12 12:51 PM

It looks like they're starting to respond to removal requests, the email I just got was: https://gist.github.com/9e663036fa85d2693a20

Lombra 08-16-12 01:12 PM

I don't really know anything about copyrighting, nor what you put in your letter Shadowed, but surely one should not have to prove ones identity? Bar to override a previous stating that they have the right to publish your addons? On the contrary, couldn't we instead ask them for the legal proof that they have obtained such rights? Are you not allowed to ask someone to take down something for which they don't have distribution rights, if it's not your own work?

Shadowed 08-16-12 01:18 PM

You're correct, but that only matters if they care about the legality, which they have proven they don't.

Coote 08-16-12 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Predator (Post 259722)
Well, for MoP releases I personally added a popup warning user that my addons will not work with GearScore enabled and 2 buttons to disable GS or my addon.

Ooohh, that sounds like a nice idea. Is this actually allowed within the addon tos? If so, more people ought to do this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowed (Post 259730)
It looks like they're starting to respond to removal requests, the email I just got was: https://gist.github.com/9e663036fa85d2693a20

That's pretty scummy demanding that you show proof of ownership before they even consider doing anything.

Phanx 08-16-12 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowhack (Post 259715)

Okay, but where did you look that up?

A domain's nameservers are not the place the domain was registered. The nameservers are the actual servers that the domain name points to when you type it into your browser -- eg. where the content is. Usually, a host will have a couple of nameservers, which will then do the further work of resolving to the current location of the actual content on one of the host's content servers.

My domain name is registered through DreamHost, but I use a different company for my actual hosting. If you WHOIS query my domain, and look at the nameservers, they will point you to my actual host, not to DreamHost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMcMahon51 (Post 259735)
That's pretty scummy demanding that you show proof of ownership before they even consider doing anything.

I sent my NOTICE OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT email from the same address that's listed in the TOC and README files of all of my addons, so hopefully they won't try to pull this crap.

Arrowmaster 08-16-12 01:51 PM

Posting a few points from IRC for everybody to see. Specifically about DMCA.

WoA is claiming they have 10 days to comply with any requests to remove content under the DMCA.

Master Games International is incorporated in Texas. They own TTH so all US laws apply to them.

TTH/WoA does not have a DMCA Registered agent, they do not have any protections under the DMCA.

WoA is hosted in Canada but by Tucows. Tucows has a DMCA Registered agent and does have DMCA protection and will comply with DMCA takedown notices.

The final most important point. It was WoA/TTH employees that uploaded the copyright content without permission. If they normally had protection under the DMCA, which they dont, they now have ZERO protection under the DMCA because they violated it themselves.

DO NOT ACCEPT ANY BULL**** FROM THEM ABOUT VERIFYING AUTHORS OR DELAYS IN REMOVING CONTENT! Send your DMCA takedown requests to Tucows for best results. WoA/TTH are legally up **** creek without a paddle in a kayak made of cardboard.

Tucows DMCA agent email: [email protected]

Bluspacecow 08-16-12 02:15 PM

Their latest response on the comments page for their announcement of World of Addons

http://www.tentonhammer.com/playersc...welcome?page=2

Quote:

Instead, they are being told at the encouragement of a few to spam us with DMCAs, which have legal consequences for not only us, but for them as well, and well... once the lawyers get involved everything slows down.
The heck are they smoking here ?

Quote:

Why? Well the faster our new site goes down, the faster those sites can return to making 100% of the money because of the monopolistic nature of their service. We arn't trying to make boat loads of money here. We are trying to provide a free and simple to use service that benefits everyone.
/facepalm

Totally missing the point as per usual.

Quote:

Anyone is free to join and be a part of that service, and anyone is free to opt out and go elsewhere either. We have no intention of forcing anyone to stay here.
Forcing anyone to stay ?

We'll leave them alone when they remove our copyrighted work thankyouverymuchandgooddaysir

Xrystal 08-16-12 03:00 PM

Ah, a reply from wowaddons in response to my request that for the time being he turns nUI's download link into a link to the wowinterface page until Scott is able to make the decision himself whether he wants to host his addons there.

Quote:

Sent: 16 August 2012 19:31
To: ****************
Subject: World of Addons Removal Request

Dear Xrystal,

I am writing to let you know that we here at World of Addons have received your feedback. Thank you for your concern, and I have taken it upon myself to personally e-mail Scott about nUI. Hopefully, we will be hearing back from him shortly despite his absence. As far as your other concerns with nUI and a link being provided to the offical download page at WoWInterface, if you would kindly look to the bottom of the "About This Addon" section you will find links to WoWInterface as well as the website dedicated solely to nUI.

In your message you also stated that you would not like your addons to be hosted with us. I would like to gently ask why and also ask if there was any way we could perhaps change your mind. If there is anything we at World of Addons can possibly do to change your feelings on this matter, please do not hesitate to let us know. From offering a helping hand with updates to various forms of compensation, we are willing to work with any and all addon authors to be able to reach an amicable agreement. Nothing would give us greater pleasure than to have your addons hosted on our site.

Since I am unsure of which addons belong exclusively to you, I cannot tell you if any are currently hosted on World of Addons. If you find they are hosted, and wish to have them removed please e-mail me with the list of addon names so we can begin the ownership verification process that will allow us to proceed with removal. If however, you do indeed have a change of heart, head over to the site and be sure to upload and claim any addons that may be yours which will gain you an entry into our Claim Your Addon contest we are currently running (pending the verificiation process once again). Claiming your addon will also give you full control of your addon so you can edit, update, and even remove it if you so wish. Once again, we would love to have you host your addons on our site.

In closing I would like to send my apologies for any distress and/or inconvenience this matter may have caused you as well as my sincere wishes that one day you will allow us to host your addons on World of Addons.

And my reply to that email is going to be ..

Quote:

Dear Jason,

I can only give great support for my addons if I am updating them on the one site. I tried using Curse as a second site and I just didn't have the time to deal with 2 lots of uploads and comment upkeeps and checks. Seeing as Wow Interface was where I first learned how to make addons and have assisted many people and gain assistance by just as many if not more I chose to make wowinterface my addon home. I removed my addons from Curse as well.

I have my own webserver so I could just as easily just hosted them myself but again, it would involve yet more support making sure the server stays safe from viruses and other IT related problems. On top of my 9 to 7 job I just cannot afford to spend time on something like that.

That is the main reason. I don't personally have a problem with multiple sites hosting addons. I do however have a problem with sites hosting addons without getting permission from their owners, prior to it happening.

I know that Scott is currently out of communication, which is why I am currently the one keeping it up to date with Mists of Pandaria, so you will likely not be getting a reply any time soon. He is currently unable to access emails or the internet but is currently working hard on getting the new version of nUI ready for the new expansion.

So, in lights to nUI, all I am asking that instead of having the download from your site directly you point to either his curse link ( which points to wowinterface for support ) or his wowinterface link where he chose to host his addons, at least until he is back on the scene to personally choose whether he wants your site to also host his addons.

From what I can see you currently are not hosting any of my addons. That of course could be because I no longer use curse as my secondary addon host due to the explanation above. In lights of Scott's addons they would be all the ones that start with nUI. Both the main addon and plugins. I wouldn't be surprised to find these are the ones he has chosen to put on curse.

Just as I respect your decision to give the user another option for downloads please respect authors decisions to host their addons with you.

Xrystal

Torhal 08-16-12 03:23 PM

What's Truly Awesome (TM) is that they illegally grab All Rights Reserved materials, then require the authors to verify they own them before they'll remove them!

Cairenn 08-16-12 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarod24 (Post 259718)
Well, i found one of my addons on alladdon.com, i've sent them an email, lets see what happens.

For the future, i'm thinking of adding a new windowframe in my addon.
It will appear for the user ingame on each new release with something like this:
Quote:

This addon is free and is hosted on curse.com (curseforge) and wowinterface.com
If you download it from anywhere else, then please stop using those websites.
They take our work without permission.
-The author.
Ofc, this doesn't do anthing about the websites themselves, but it hopefully will make the user a bit more aware.

any thoughts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Predator (Post 259722)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMcMahon51 (Post 259735)
Ooohh, that sounds like a nice idea. Is this actually allowed within the addon tos? If so, more people ought to do this.

Hey guys? I've had Blizz actually reach out to me to ask that you not do this. So please don't, okay?

Seerah 08-16-12 04:35 PM

I got the same email that Shadowed did. This was my response:
Quote:

Jason,

You say, "offer our deepest apologies at any distress or inconvenience this may have caused you," yet you are still inconveniencing me and making me jump through hoops to get my ARR content off of your site - which should have NEVER been there in the first place. You know, due to the fact that it's ARR and you didn't get permission. Allow me to quote something that I posted on your website yesterday: "And I forgot to remind you of the fact that you do not even display author names anywhere on your site unless they "claim" their addon. I shouldn't have to "claim" my own friggin' work."

Whether you believe I'm Seerah or not, you are not supposed to be hosting those files. You are not supposed to be hosting many, if not most, of the files on your site. No one will trust you or your site unless this is remedied in a timely fashion and amends are taken.

-Ryan (Seerah)

PS - did you bother looking for Seerah on the internet? If you Google "Seerah Ryan", you'll find evidence. Hell, even on Facebook. Or you could send a PM somewhere you know the "real" Seerah to frequent. The onus is not on me. It's on you to "do the right thing". I'll give you one more day.

Torhal 08-16-12 06:27 PM

I didn't get an e-mail, but I did send one (my second):

Quote:

I want my AddOns removed from the site <REDACTED> immediately. I did not give my permission, which is required since they were released as All Rights Reserved. In fact, you would do well to remove ALL infringing AddOns, sticking with those which are GPL, BSD, MIT, or Creative Commons licensed unless otherwise notified by their respective authors.

The definition of All Rights Reserved makes this statement shockingly arrogant:

"We at World of Addons did make various attempts to contact addon authors, however, many authors do not have their e-mails listed visibly to the public, while others did not respond at all, and finally our attempts to contact authors using sites such as Curse, WoWInterface and the like to message authors were utterly blocked."

Copyright Law does not work the way you apparently think it does. The mere fact that you received no response at all means you had no permission at all, and are breaking the law. Requiring authors to prove who they are before taking down something you have no right to distribute to begin with is quite disturbing and garners negative goodwill toward you from the very people you want to use your service.

I repeat - remove my works from your site _immediately_.

James D. Callahan III (Torhal)

Shadowhack 08-16-12 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phanx (Post 259737)
Okay, but where did you look that up?

A domain's nameservers are not the place the domain was registered. The nameservers are the actual servers that the domain name points to when you type it into your browser -- eg. where the content is. Usually, a host will have a couple of nameservers, which will then do the further work of resolving to the current location of the actual content on one of the host's content servers.

My domain name is registered through DreamHost, but I use a different company for my actual hosting. If you WHOIS query my domain, and look at the nameservers, they will point you to my actual host, not to DreamHost.

Well I was correct on the host as I sent an abuse report in that the site is hosting files they didn't have permission to and they suspended the sites IP and contacted the owner.

Phanx 08-17-12 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowhack (Post 259768)
Well I was correct on the host as I sent an abuse report in that the site is hosting files they didn't have permission to and they suspended the sites IP and contacted the owner.

That's great, but you still have not answered the question -- where did you find the name of their web host? I've WHOIS queried their domain on a dozen different lookup sites, and saw nothing mentioning "Sharktek" on any of them.

Dolby 08-17-12 01:04 AM

Normally to find the webhost you ping their domain to get their ip. Then do a IP Information on their ip address to see who its assigned to.

Blazeflack 08-17-12 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowhack (Post 259768)

Great success :)

Darth Predator 08-17-12 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 259750)
Hey guys? I've had Blizz actually reach out to me to ask that you not do this. So please don't, okay?

It's no fun in not doing this :D
Anyway no such stuff was accessible for downloading so I'm clean :P