WoWInterface

WoWInterface (http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archive (http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   I can't run MMOUI Minion (http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43895)

iskander 08-15-12 08:33 AM

I can't run MMOUI Minion
 
No matter what I try or do, I simply can't open MMOUI Minion.
I tried everything suggested in the FAQ, I even installed Java 6 (32 and 64 bit versions). Uninstalled and installed both Java and the minion several times, tried it with the suggestion of creating a "minion.bat" file, as suggested in the FAQ. I tried everything suggested in the other thread as well, but still no minion. I'm about to get desperate here....

I am running Windows 7 64 bit by the way.

lerb 08-15-12 04:15 PM

Do you get any kind of errors? If so, please post them.

iskander 08-16-12 08:38 AM

No error at all. I can install it, and once I click the icon on my desktop, I get the hourglass icon for about 5 seconds, and than nothing happens. That's why I find it so weird....

Rammoth 08-16-12 10:57 AM

I have to admit, it's never worked for me either, but that was a few years ago I think when I tried to use it. I never gave it another chance, because it just wouldn't work. I couldn't even uninstall it. It error every time I did, so I had to delete it from my registry, use a registry cleaner, and then restart my computer. I no longer have that old computer.

I wish I had a solution for you, but I don't. I just wanted to chime in and tell ya, you're not alone.

emann24 08-16-12 01:51 PM

I believe it's because Java version 7 is breaking MMOUI Minion. There is supposed to be a workaround by using a previous version but I couldn't get it to work.

Cairenn 08-16-12 02:04 PM

Unfortunately we aren't actively developing Minion any more. Sorry guys. :(

Rammoth 08-17-12 07:30 AM

Well that sucks, is there any plans to release a totally new project that does something similar? Can't use Curse Client to get addons from WoWI... It would make updating so much easier if we had something. I don't use addons from another site but WoWI, have been doing that for so many years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 259741)
Unfortunately we aren't actively developing Minion any more. Sorry guys. :(


jlrm365 08-20-12 03:45 AM

My situation is the same as the original poster, in terms of hardware.

What I did was to remove the previous version of Java I had and install Version 7.


Like others, though I do use Curse, I prefer to download addons here.

One might say that we've been spoilt, not having to look through addons manually (as I certainly used to).

One of the things that will keep people here is ease of use.

One of the things that will lose users is the opposite.

It's hard to overstate how important MMOUI Minion is, as part of the positive impression of this site.

PLEASE do not abandon it.

Someone PLEASE keep it alive!

Much appreciated.

:cool:

AmiYuy 08-28-12 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 259741)
Unfortunately we aren't actively developing Minion any more. Sorry guys. :(

That is unfortunate. May I ask why it is still linked to from the front page then?

Tymesink 08-28-12 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 259741)
Unfortunately we aren't actively developing Minion any more. Sorry guys. :(

Would it be possible then to open up the api to allow developers the opportunity to develope something?

Cairenn 08-28-12 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmiYuy (Post 260702)
That is unfortunate. May I ask why it is still linked to from the front page then?

In all honesty, it's because I keep wishing that it wasn't dead. Guess it's well beyond time for me to accept that it is and ask dolby to remove the links. =/

It was a great updater that had potential to be absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately the person that had been developing it got busy with other things and just didn't have time to even maintain it, let alone grow it. And given that we can't pay anyone to do it ... whaddaya do, ya know? =/

AmiYuy 08-28-12 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 260705)
In all honesty, it's because I keep wishing that it wasn't dead. Guess it's well beyond time for me to accept that it is and ask dolby to remove the links. =/

It was a great updater that had potential to be absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately the person that had been developing it got busy with other things and just didn't have time to even maintain it, let alone grow it. And given that we can't pay anyone to do it ... whaddaya do, ya know? =/

That makes total sense. :( It was just kinda confusing after a long time away when I came to download it to update for today's patch and nothing happened when I tried to run it.

Dohram 08-28-12 10:32 PM

Minion
 
why dont you see if some of teh many loyal users will take over maintaining it? im sure you have acess to teh code?

Rammoth 08-29-12 04:51 AM

Well, I just might have a solution to this problem, if someone is willing to take a look.

The Nexus Mod Manager over at www.skyrimnexus.com is open source, free code. So you can use it to learn, if there is anyone here that is willing to try to learn from that code, to make one for WoW. It essentially will update addons, but that feature hasn't been added yet. But what it does do is keep track of your addons versions, and makes the version number into a link, which is linked to the site the addon was uploaded to.

The staff that works on that, did say they are planning on adding a feature that auto updates, and many other features. So it's something to watch, and continue to develop from. You can learn from it, and develop, and the addons here could be auto-updated from WoWI.

Another alternative for now could be to create a download tracker on the site, so that users know when and what they downloaded, and create a software that will let them know there has been an update to one of the addons they have downloaded, and they just click on it, and have it auto download to the browser, and the user can configure it from there. Have options on the website in the users accounts so they can configure how they want it to function as a feature on the site/desktop. Create it as an extension/addon for a browser.

What do you guys think of these ideas? I sure wish I could code, and create software. I would be glad to do this stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 260705)
In all honesty, it's because I keep wishing that it wasn't dead. Guess it's well beyond time for me to accept that it is and ask dolby to remove the links. =/

It was a great updater that had potential to be absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately the person that had been developing it got busy with other things and just didn't have time to even maintain it, let alone grow it. And given that we can't pay anyone to do it ... whaddaya do, ya know? =/


Seerah 08-29-12 12:41 PM

alternative: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=43951
*ahem*

Pooh-Bah 09-29-12 12:05 PM

Batch file that works for Win7 64-bit:

Code:

"c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\javaw" -jar "C:\Program Files (x86)\MMOUI Minion\minion.jar"
I installed the 64 bit version of java 6 for the minion. I don't run any 64 bit browsers so this is just for the minion. I made a batch file (minion.bat) on the desktop with that, and it works fine.

jlrm365 09-29-12 01:53 PM

The real issue is that we can no longer run the minion, with the most recent version of Java, which is a shame.
:cool:

scottiedoesknow 09-29-12 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooh-Bah (Post 265352)
Batch file that works for Win7 64-bit:

Code:

"c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\javaw" -jar "C:\Program Files (x86)\MMOUI Minion\minion.jar"
I installed the 64 bit version of java 6 for the minion. I don't run any 64 bit browsers so this is just for the minion. I made a batch file (minion.bat) on the desktop with that, and it works fine.

I tried this but it's still not working. Any suggestions or advice?

samvx 10-30-12 10:10 AM

MMOUI Minion NO RUN
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by iskander (Post 259677)
No matter what I try or do, I simply can't open MMOUI Minion.
I tried everything suggested in the FAQ, I even installed Java 6 (32 and 64 bit versions). Uninstalled and installed both Java and the minion several times, tried it with the suggestion of creating a "minion.bat" file, as suggested in the FAQ. I tried everything suggested in the other thread as well, but still no minion. I'm about to get desperate here....

I am running Windows 7 64 bit by the way.

Same Here!

SDPhantom 10-30-12 08:47 PM

I would assume not, but I'm going to ask anyway. Does anyone have access to the source code for Minion?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:52 AM.

vBulletin © 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd
©2012 ZAM Network LLC