View Single Post
08-29-08, 11:10 AM   #41
littlebuddha79
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
On a different note, the system that I proposed in my first post of this thread would help to eliminate this. Only registered members of the site would vote (possibly mandatory after their 1st download of each addon), and would only be allowed to vote once per update of each addon. Every time they vote or rank, that ranking would overwrite their previous ranking, to make sure that each user could only vote once on each mod (even over a long period of time). It would also keep track of people that try and cheat the system.

Since votes are already being kept track of in a way, if the ranking are reviewed and a particular user has given one addon in the Map category (for example) a stellar review, but all other map addons in that category a horrible review, it could be deduced that that member is trying to "pad" his mods stats.

Some may say that that's not fair, because what if that mod just happens to be that user/member's favorite and he just doesn't genuinely like the rest of them...do what i proposed in my first posting, and just don't vote on the others. There is no need to go back to a mod you obviously don't like and rate it. The only reason to rate an addon is because you like it and want to download it again. If you are going back to addons and "bashing" them in the ratings, you obviously shouldn't have the privileges to rate addons in the first place and a flag should be placed on that user's profile taking away their right to rate mods anymore. Of course there would have to be a way to take away the rating privileges away while still allowing them to download addons (that is the main point of WowI after all).

There really is no need to have bad reviews...if you don't like a mod and don't want to download it again, fine...but don't go back and bash it. The good ratings of other addons vs. the non-existent ratings of the addon you don't like will let the rest of the community know that "this addon has been downloaded 1000 times, but only been rated 27 times...people must not have liked it enough to come back and get the latest version of it".

That being said, you might wonder why have a 1-5 or 1-10 star rating in the first place? Well if you have different categories and it's exceptional in most areas, but it might only deserve a 1 or 2 star in ease of use, or ease of setup. Most people that use Pitbull love the addon, but the biggest "complaint" I've seen in the forums is it's hell to setup when first installed. This doesn't mean it's bad, it just means it's going to take some time for you to get it the way you want it "out of the box". Seeing that 1 or 2 star rank in "ease of setup" in the ratings for Pitbull, but a 4 or an 8 (depending on the top ranking) in all other categories will let everyone know that it's a good addon, but don't expect it to just be a "load and go" kind of thing. It might deter people from trying it out, but realistically, those are the people that would probably try it out, get frustrated and go download something that is a little easier to set up anyway.