View Single Post
10-17-08, 08:25 AM   #1
Aesir
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Request block, This is to stop flooding of our server.

Hi, I wanted to list a couple of ways I use the site here at WoWI, and point out where I am seeing the entitled notification message, "Request block, This is to stop flooding of our server."

The aim of this feedback is two-fold:
1) It provides a way for site admins to see what/where they may tweak how the site handles requests, while still accomplishing the stated objective of blocking floods, and
2) Responses to this feedback might point out ways for me to utilize the site more effectively, accomplishing what I want as a site user - but without seeing the notification message or otherwise screwing things up.

How I use the site:
I manually update my addons through various sources, though I personally would prefer just having one source. Auto-updating hasn't been reliable for me, for any of the client downloader/updaters available, since forever. But that's okay because I just manually update files, as desired.

This process includes downloading addons from WoWI, wherever WoWI appears to be hosting the most current or up-to-date source for revisions. I also will use the addon portal page forums to provide direct author feedback or ask questions about a given addon.

Thirdly, I intend to use the site as source of info about addon creation and (in particular) UI modification. The reason for this is that I intend to release an addon that is going to rock everyone's world. Seriously, this addon is going to cause about 200 frame xml errors each time it loads, because that's exactly what the first version is likely to do (since I don't actually know how to create addons from start to finish yet...). Kidding aside...

Within the context of how I utilize WoWI, I observe the following:

Firefox: Open All In Tabs
Using Firefox's bookmarks toolbar, I add URL bookmarks linking to individual addons hosted here and at other locations. These links are URLs to the addon portal page, not to any file download location. I then use Firefox's "Open all in tabs" option to load up the discrete pages in separate tabs.

A recent change to the site (or, perhaps, a recent change *somewhere*) doesn't seem to allow this functionality. I will receive the entitled notice after the 1st tab opens to the addon portal page. In other words, I can't request a 2nd page to this site within about a 4 or 5 seconds period.

WoWI Favorites
Another way to store/maintain links to the addons homed at WoWI is to use the site's own "Favorites" option. I have used this, and am currently in process of updating my own "Favorites" to reflect changes seen with WoW 3.x. Seeing the issue with the above, "Open all in Tabs", I starting just linking to my Favorites page and then manually and individually clicking the links in my Favorites page on this site, to open up each addon in it's own tab. In this manner, I can then continue on to review each addon, it's forums, and of course, check for any news or updates to the addon itself. After review, I close out the tab, and the next tab appears for me to continue my process.

However, what I find is that again, there must be an approximately four or five second pause between opening individual pages. I've timed it, and yes there is some variance (sometimes as low as about 2 seconds, and sometimes - especially if the entitled page error appears one time - I can end up waiting and reloading unsuccessfully for quite a while before I can get past the Flood-O-Meter).

Addon page (and general forum?) << < > >> 1 2 3... Page navigation links:

I ran into the entitled flood warning actually just trying to use forward/back first/last addon portal topic navigation links. I presume that any page at all that comes from the AddOns tab linked on the home page is filtered/checked/vetted by the Flood-O-Meter.

Now, I must say, I am getting old and I cannot possibly be the fastest web link clicker in the world - and I know that I am not as fast or furious as some auto-updater leeching bits off your site. So, I think that even if we come to learn or agree that how I would prefer to navigate the site in my first two scenarios is 'bad' in some way, I think that this last scenario of just 'normal' site page navigation points to some potential for fine-tuning the flood control methods used by WoWI.

Some hopefully useful feedback... hope you see it as such.

Thanks!

P.S. I tend to focus on the negatives because IRL I'm a glass half-empty person. This shouldn't mean that I don't see absolutely great things about this site, or about a given addon that I may comment on. I should put this statement in my signature because as a glass-half-empty person, it's a real hassle to keep letting WoWI folks know that I still love them.

Last edited by Aesir : 10-17-08 at 08:26 AM. Reason: tried to format better so the post isn't some giant W O T. I failed...