View Single Post
11-05-08, 03:36 AM   #6
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
From CreativeCommons.org
Attribution. You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform your copyrighted work — and derivative works based upon it — but only if they give credit the way you request.
Here is a plain English summary of that license (again from Creative Commons):

This license lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation. This is the most accommodating of licenses offered, in terms of what others can do with your works licensed under Attribution.
Essentially if you use material that is licensed using the Creative Commons Attribution license, you are free to use the material, (in this case artwork or textures) in your own AddOn, however you are required to Credit the creator/copyright holder (usually the same person).

So for example, if my AddOn (called Sample in this example) uses a texture called "Tex" which was created by "Yan" and released under the CC Attribution licensed then I would have put somewhere in that AddOn (either in a ReadMe, Credit or similarly titled text file something worded like this):

Sample uses the texture Tex, created by Yan and licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5.
You may want (or maybe required) to place a line that contains a link to the author's site. Creative Commons licenses where designed with derivative uses in mind. I have linked directly to the Creative Commons license pages which has plain English summaries of the each of the major CC licenses.

Last edited by Zyonin : 11-05-08 at 03:43 AM.