View Single Post
06-05-09, 09:54 AM   #1571
Kaelten
Jack's raging bile duct

Featured
Originally Posted by silentdabeast View Post
You want to know why? Because I have 2 websites with unlimited bandwidth, unlimited storage space, 2 mysql databases, 1000 emails, and a few other perks, for less than 100 bucks a year....that's why. If you don't believe me on that one, I'll give you the link to their packages! And I KNOW that you could host this site with the addons on their servers.
The way unlimited bandwidth works is they give you unlimited access on a pipe, which can be as small as a few hundred Kb/s.

This is fine for smaller sites.

On Curse we currently have a maximum capacity of 4Gb/s and are looking to expand.

On WowAce 2 or 3 hosts ago, I had 'unlimited bandwidth' on a dedicated server. It was a 1mbit pipe. A little math later.... 1024 bits / 8 bits-in-a-byte * 60 seconds * 60 mins * 24 hours = 11,059,200 bytes/day / 1024 / 1024 = 10.55 GB/day * 30 days = 316.40 GB/month.

That's unlimited bandwidth, and that server cost me $85/month. My next server was on a 100mbit pipe, but my $300/month only covered me up to 10mbit/s @ 95th percentile. So patch days cost > $1k, and that was for a fraction of the bandwidth a site like wowi or curse uses.

And the bigger the pipes from there the more complicated billing gets. Commits for sustained usage, overages for spikes, etc.

I hope that my explanation of 'unlimited' bandwidth makes sense. I'd be happy to help explain more if you have any questions.

Anyone that needs what they want
And doesn't want what they need
I want nothing to do with