Thread: Supporters?
View Single Post
07-21-09, 08:13 PM   #38
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
WHAT is the point in voting when the TOP item is being put aside for another feature on the list???
The point is, we know what people want, but #1 cannot be done now. A half done feature is useless and it is a big feature. #1 is also inflated because there is not a vote for nothing choice and it is the default.

If you paid someone once a week to cut your grass and they trimmed your bushes you too would be a little upset
More like you and 999 people have a giant lawn. 667 want it cut. 333 want the bushes done. The bushes take 10 hours to do. Grass 100. We decided to do the bushes first because we have 20 hours available to work this week and then we are building cabins for someone else for the next x weeks.

Now don't get me wrong I fully understand that Carbonite is no longer a cash cow and money needs to come from other places, but going over a month with no real updates (status or product) is not what I would consider part-time. I'm not expecting daily status updates or weekly product updates. What I AM EXPECTING is for you to poke in a little more often to say "HAY .. where still here .. This is what we are working on". I don't think this is too much to ask. Out of curiosity .. how much time is actually being spent working on Carbonite?? I sure hope it is around the 12-15 hour mark as that is what I would consider "part-time".
Never was a cash cow and donation revenue is only about 25% of previous sales revenue. Donations are just not that much. Frankly, I can make x10 the money per hour spent on other projects and those other projects keep growing. God is good. He keeps blessing me, even though I am an idiot. I spend the extra time on Carb that I do, not because I have to, but because I want to see Carbonite continue and people enjoying it. I don't even play WoW much these days, but when I do, I also want to be using Carbonite just like you do.

Carbonite is not being worked on on a x hours per week basis. It is block of time about once a month. May had a lot of dev+support time. June had no dev and some amount of support time. July has had about 25 hours dev+support time so far. When patch 3.2 is released probably in Aug, there will be a bunch of time spent fixing various things that I don't catch now.

That is how it is currently working. No, I will not be logging in to the forums every week that I am not working on Carbonite to say "Hey, did nothing this week. Bye". When I am working, I will be active in the forums. At other times I will try to hit the forums occasionally, but it is easy to forget, when other projects need lots of attention.

Haavok is in the same boat. He is working on another project and getting a lot more for his time spent, so me saying "work more on Carb, so we get more donations" does not fly.