View Single Post
04-26-10, 06:22 PM   #8
2amcoffee
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Icheatatgolf View Post
Thanks for the responses, guys.

I realize I was a bit aggressive in my post, it's just a side effect of my paranoia. And I know copying and pasting my password probably won't do much to protect against it, even if I never entered it whole before getting logged.

A lot of these addons almost ARE mandatory, due to their sheer usefulness. I really do appreciate the effort put in by all the authors; I just wish people weren't so damned greedy and malicious.
No, none are mandatory for WoW to actually run. There may be add-ons that are useful and helpful, or just plain fun, but none are 100% required for World of Warcraft to start up and allow you to connect to a server to play.

Being a former tech support lackey for an ISP, this is a giant sore spot for me. What goes on in your computer and your browsing habits are YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. Some caution when you go browsing the web is fine - full on paranoia with fingerpointing at invisible boogeymen aren't going to help you actually be secure.

Take the time to learn about what these malicious programs really are, how you can secure yourself and your data from it, and implement your own computer security instead of taking the easy way out and blaming sites like WoWInterface and Curse-Gaming.