PTR Public Test Realm install guide and common bugs & fixes
View Single Post
05-13-10, 04:10 AM
Giver of walls of text :)
Join Date: Dec 2006
ADDONS WORKING OR NOT ON THE PTR
Interesting question this.
The PTR only just come out. As far as I know the diff files haven't been released yet. These are files that tell the addon authors what's changed in 3.3. Yes there's tools out there to tell them directly.
The point I'm making here is that's early days for addons on the PTR. They may work they might not work.
The best thing is to do these x things below :
1) Don't install too many. Take a few like one or two.
2) Learn the site where the author posts beta updates to . For curse that will be either Curseforge or Wowace. Wow interface will be this site.
3) Expect it to break when you install it. Make sure you turn on "Load Out of Date addons"
4) Put em in "World of Warcraft Public Test" folder -> Interface->Addons
5) If they do break make sure you provide decent feedback to the author. Include a error report if it comes up in game. You could also use a bug grabbing error like Bugsack/BugGrabber or Swatter to capture them.
If there is a ticket system submit a ticket there. If possible put down how you made the error appear. Remember nothing frustrates a developer more than a ticket submitted with "It does not work" as the sole problem. Be verbose. Be helpful. Get on the IRC channel if necessary (we're a mostly friendly bunch who hang out on irc.freenode.org #wowuidev channel)
Remember that by using addons on the PTR you're pretty much paving the way for the new versions that will come out for them to work once 3.3 goes live. If they do break make sure you give the addon authors a little helping hand a
Well that wasn't as brief as I wanted it to be. Awwweeee shut up Torhal
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Bluspacecow
Find More Posts by Bluspacecow