View Single Post
02-13-12, 11:13 PM   #10
Gregity
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Is it a library-type addon? I was (am?) thinking of doing something very similar to what you just described. Sounds like you have most, if not all, of what I was thinking about. I'll be sure to grab a copy of Grail and check it out. Thanks!

I've been putting some thought into the design of the library as I've been doing the re-write of QuestGuru and so might as well share a few thoughts since the subject is broached.

My thought was to break the library into two or three chunks based upon the type of data so that addon authors not interested in various parts wouldn't have to load them, but others that were could get the data. For example Quest Completist uses data about what quests are dependent upon one another but QuestGuru doesn't need it at this stage of it's life. The library would provide some accessor functions and be easily compatible with Ace (even though not an Ace addon).

For the library-type idea I was thinking about it wouldn't have a UI (or even options). Addon developers could reference it as a dependency and use the accessor functions to get at the data. The library would monitor the log (and a few other events / quest functions) to self maintain and place new data (and deltas) in a separate savedvariables file to make it easy to upload deltas instead of the whole thing for maintenance.

I have been mulling over talking with the Wowhead folks to get access to their data and use it for a base and then create a feedback mechanism that would allow for deltas to be discovered and sent back, perhaps via the Wowhead updater. It's just plain silly that this data isn't easily available from Blizz but there it is... Would be nice to have something that pretty much updated itself by some sort of feedback mechanism. Considering that this site and the Wowhead site are part of the ZAM network, and that Wowhead does have an updater, the main infrastructure components to the library are at hand. Just a bit of packaging to preset the Wowhead data as an Addon. Who knows?

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing folks' thoughts on something like this. Perhaps a joint project to get it going?