View Single Post
08-29-12, 09:47 PM   #209
Balthizar
A Murloc Raider
Rythal,

*************** First, you have done a fabulous job rebuilding the mod thus far. Bugs are to be expected with any project but from the sounds of it the previous developers have made this far more difficult in an attempt to protect their code. I have not read fully the license for this mod so I am not sure how you would be able to circumvent it in the case that you receive no response from the developers. I do have a suggestion for you though which will allow for the Carbonite Community to reclaim the functions they love from this mod without you breaking any type of possible agreements.

*************** A full rewrite of this mod and mild appearance changes to identify it separately from this software will allow for you to maintain segregation from this project without infringing on their proprietary code.* This definitely sounds like a huge undertaking if it were not for a large resource that, as of yet, you have not tapped into.

*************** I am referring to the multitude of authors who are willing to assist, dozens of users willing to donate and the massive horde of players who will more than happily beta test until it is perfect.* I could fit into any of these categories given a few weeks to learn Lua, but for now I would happily donate to you specifically for your work thus far and I can and will also beta test this mod with the rest of the community.

*************** Bringing the Lua code to full compatibility would make this mod run far more efficiently than it currently does. Using the now common modular design would allow for people who prefer only a portion of this mod to enable what they use and remove the rest. The most important aspect of any version you produce is something which you touched on for ease of access but could potentially be expanded to lighten the amount of footwork and code required to get this off the ground. What I am referring to is the use of the Blizzard databases for quest locations, vendor inventories, map files, etc.* This starting database could use the input from regular users’ normal activities to maintain itself and create a much more accurate source from which to pull POI’s and the like.

*************** I personally think that you should give the current developers of Carbonite 60 days from the release of 5.0.4 to contact you. If they fail to meet this deadline then you should create a Kickstarter campaign for the rewrite of this as a newly named mod and reach out into this vibrant community for skilled developers, beta testers and financial support to allow you the time in which this undertaking could be completed.

As for a mod name? How about Rythalite or Saronite? Just a thought…