View Single Post
02-26-15, 02:28 PM   #17
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
OP here

I'm using Opera on Fedora Core (not sure what version, I *think* 17.)
Here is the info from the About Opera screen:
About Opera
Version information
Version
Build
Platform
Linux
System
i686, 3.9.10-100.fc17.i686
Browser identification

Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux i686) Presto/2.12.388 Version/12.16

I have no browser addons, plug-ins, blockers, or other extras added to the browser.

To quote myself, adding bolding:
It sits there, with my "i'm loading!" spinner spinning, forever - long past the finish of the download. Hitting my back button to get off it - to get back to the main addon page - does nothing. The name of the addon at the top of the section that says Downloading now... (with the ... constantly redrawing) does not link me anywhere. I have to find the (very small) text showing the path to get back there. (I've asked, before, if that line could be made larger to make it easier to see, but as that was years ago and nothing happened, I assume that's not happening at all.)
Apparently that wasn't clear. What I meant by 'never finishes loading' is that the graphic elements that spin in a circle - the mouse sprite, the element in the tab - and the graphic element on the bar that includes the address, which is a round circle when the page is loaded, and an X to stop the page loading when it isn't, stays as an X. Also, when I finally ran top (as opposed to estimating from the graphic element I have on my task bar that shows cpu usage), Opera was taking 50%+ of the cpu. I found a minimized Opera window that had some static jpgs on it and one blog tab that I had been looking at last week for snow in boston (I had 'opened from last session') - when I killed that window, the cpu usage went down to 40%+. When I exited all the tabs that came to WoW Interface, the cpu usage dropped to under 10%. It did not go over 10% when I brought up a WoWhead tab, with all *its* scripts.

I also click the download and then click the Changelog on addons I am comfortable with downloading without checking. That extra step is annoying - and having it be a small text element, rather than what is, to me, the obvious one (the title of the addon large and nearby) that I have to click makes it more so, but perhaps that's idiosyncratic with my vision. But my major annoyance was the massive uptick in CPU usage and drag on the system. I already have problems trying to have a browser up while I have WoW running, which is one reason I'm using Opera rather than e.g. Firefox.

Downloading today, I see that the text does change to 'Download Complete' and the page gets the round arrow and the other evidences of a completely loaded page. Thank you for that. I do like the list of addons underneath, despite that it's listing things as 'hot' that haven't been updated in multiple years.

I've downloaded that minion zip and will try to see if it works. I am, however, a 'power user' and not a sys admin; I'm not sure what version of Java we have running, nor what might break if I update it (via Yum or whatever it is on here). I tried using it months ago when I first saw the header about Minion, and couldn't get it to work then.