View Single Post
02-27-18, 07:31 AM   #15
lightspark
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by aallkkaa View Post
Excellent points, Lightspark (and incidentally, you sound much more savy than me on the subject, although "Universal colour-blind-friendly palletes are garbage" is mostly a subjective statement).

Also, I now realised linking top/root pages to WAI and WCAG may not have been my best idea yet.

Something a bit more on point:
http://gmazzocato.altervista.org/colorwheel/wheel.php
How I would personally use this myself would be to, for example:
1. Design something where I used two colors to differentiate between two different states (e.g. your two differently colored bars, for interruptible and non-iinterruptible spells);
2. Input the values of those two colors in the webpage above;
3. Aim at an AA level of compliance (AAA would be welcome but I'd settle for AA for gameplaying) and, if needed, adjust one or both of the two colors to reach AA;
4. Look at the new two colors: do they still look good (in my subjective opinion of course)? If so, go with them, otherwise, probably just go with the original non AA-compliant colors.

So yeah, use something like the page above as post-design adjustment tool, aiming at reaching AA compliance through minor adjustments only. If possible. If not, well...
Well, in this case, picking only two colours for the UI element, it will work, I agree, no objections there whatsoever.

However, at the same time this tool highlights the "universal colour-blind-friendly palletes are garbage" problem quite nicely. I was talking about the case when you need to create a pallete for an entire UI, when you work with complementary, triadic, and other colours, so there's more than just 2 colours. In this case it's kinda easy to adjust the pallete for people w/ normal vision and green- and red-blind/weak people, however, as soon as you add blue-blind/weak people to the mix you run into a problem, you pallete becomes too limited. That's when you have to start using other methods.