View Single Post
07-02-07, 02:11 PM   #8
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Kyahx
I know there is limited support for symbolic links in Vista, and some third party programs to do this in Windows XP, but you'll have to google to find out.
Actually from way back (at least Win2000) NTFS has (fairly undocumented) support for hard-links (files) and symlinks (directories). What you want to look at are symlinks, otherwise called "junction points". They allow you to create a link to a folder that becomes equivalent to the folder itself, so basically the same folder appears at both locations.

Junction Points are not safe!
You have been warned. Moving, modifying and especially deleting links created as junctions will most likely break the content of the directory.

That being said I use it with no problem: I was tired of having to copy my Addons folder all the time between WoW and WoWTest which is the subfolder used for the PTR client. So I created a junction for it and it work like a charm, both normal and PTR clients always have the same addons now As long as you do not delete one of the link it should be fine.