View Single Post
02-04-10, 09:43 PM   #36
Waverian
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Not much point in arguing more since Cairenn is attempting to get a response, but I'm bored enough to throw in my 2c. The history of model-editing is pretty simple:

Place renamed m2 files in your data folder in the appropriate file path.

Blizzard disliked this, so they stop reading raw overrides for a select group of files. They now only read repackaged MPQ files.

Blizzard still dislikes this, so they add a 'security certificate' (my own terminology, I don't recall the official term) to a select group of MPQ files. You now need to run a 3rd party executable that modifies this certificate in order for wow to load certain modified MPQ files. Any modified protected MPQ files will crash the game if the certificate isn't valid (or modified by another, explicitly illegal, application).

Cursors are on the second stage of this process. We can argue that Blizzard is escalating security on these particular files to prevent it. We can also argue that two steps doesn't make a pattern, and until Blizzard makes this explicitly illegal it's ok.

Which one is it? Who knows. Pick a side, have fun, be civil, and enjoy the unprecedented UI modification wow has either way.