View Single Post
08-01-09, 12:29 PM   #19
Whilind
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Telepavarion View Post
I really doesn't understand what you talk about.
If you wnat to cast a spell on yourself having someone in target using the ALT key on your keyboard and the spell. Equally if you clicking it by mouse or using the key from the actionbar.

Any other things:
You don't understand what I am talking about as in you don't understand *what* I am asking for, or as in, you don't understand *why* I and others are asking for it?

What I am asking for is an unmodified ablity to right click to self cast.

As for Why:

First off, I like nUI quite a bit, and would like (and plan) to keep using it. It has a well laid out design, and uses less overhead then trying to build something like it using all sorts of other addons. As I mentioned, I have been able to reduce the number of addons and improve my system performance.

I am asking because in my experience during PvP and sometimes raiding it makes a significant difference for me to use one click versus having to find and press the alt key. That may seem silly, but I don't use the alt key that much, and I am on a laptop, so it just isn't in that convenient a location. I grew very used to being able to do this using bartender, even when I had macro's on the button, so long as I didn't designate a right click in my macro, it still just worked.

I am also asking because I like the functions that have been built into the button bar in nUI and wouldn't want to lose those. For example, knowing how long a heal over time spell has left on my target, right there on the button is a great function. I think that is very ingenious of Scott to create that for us!

As for the suggested solution, Clique. I would like to avoid adding Clique or another heavy weight addon. Clique adds a page to your spell book and offers much more functionality then I want or need. And as I mentioned in a previous post, it adds memory overhead and complexity. I only want to right click a button for self cast, not assign spells to buttons to cast on different units, etc etc, and whatever new fuctions clique may add in the future. It is not a solution that goes in the correct direction for the spirit of nUI from my perspective. nUI's design seems to me to be to consolidate and integrate to create one consistent environment, not a jump off point for adding more and more addons.

There *is* a simple addon to do right click and only right click, it is called RightWing, which uses less than 3% of the memory that clique does. But for whatever reason, it breaks under nUI. If similar code could be added to nUI or we could figure out why it is broken, that would be a great solution, since much of the programing work has been done.

Finally, I have taken the time to spell this out in great detail because I know I am not alone in asking for this. It has been requested in this thread and in other threads in the nUI suggestion forum a number of times, by a number of people. It is a built in function of bartender, and for all I know, other action bar replacement tools, for a reason. As I mentioned, there is RightWing, that has been downloaded about 7,000 times from Curse alone.

Not everyone uses this of course, nor do I think it is the most important thing for Scott to work on, that is for him and him alone to decide. But I do think it is worth understanding that it is important to thousands of peoples game play, not the stray request of one or two clueless individuals.

I hope that clarifies, and I do appreciate you asking and giving me an opportunity to explain to you and others that might wonder about where this is all coming from.

Cheers!