View Single Post
04-14-09, 04:01 PM   #219
duckilama
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
The timing was actually very well planned. The intent was not to drive demand for their own updaters...
I respectfully disagree.
I know a lot of folks that are 100% uninterested in getting anything Curse anywhere near their hard drives. Which leaves author sites and WoWI, essentially.

Except WoWI's own client is, apparently, not up to par.

The message from an outsider is "Hand update or go get Curse, we don't care."
The net result, for me and mine, will be to now have a much lower regard for WoWI while not really having a viable option.

We'll use WoWI until something better comes along.

Ideally, WoWI would have either had the new client ready or updated the page on the old client to say "Due to our new alliance with Curse to prevent third-party updaters, we will continue to support the previous version of our own client until such time as we release the next version."
The current message is, in essence, "Nyah, nyah! You're boned. Better go get curse!"

I agree setting this on a patch day was ideal, but not having your own client and not having an updated message on the very page linked to by the front page article - the one that goes to the old WoWI Client - says bad timing or poor planning.

Unless, of course, WoWI really does want everyone to go get curse or to *grudgingly* continue hand-updating via WoWI. Probably with adblockers.

Not fully planned. Or maybe not fully implemented. One of those is only half-assed.