View Single Post
11-24-05, 07:04 AM   #5
Gello
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you make that .toc change and then copy the file from the main SavedVariables folder to your characters' SavedVariables you won't lose any data.

However:
- changes to the toc aren't seen until you completely shut down, exit WoW to desktop. So if you change ## SavedVariables to ## SavedVariablesPerCharacter, it won't have any effect until you next start WoW up from desktop.
- When it does log in, it won't see the character-specific SavedVariable, so the mods will create default ones.
- Copying the main SavedVariables to character-specific while in game will be ignored.
- The old main SavedVariables remains in the SavedVariables folder. So you can copy it to character-specific folders if you want to copy settings.

I really hope more mods use it. I prefer all my settings to be the same across all characters.

From a mod-creation view, the change is completely transparent. There's nothing that needs worked around. But if you break a piece away from a table to the per-character tag, you can use the above to your advantage and have a "default" that was the user's setup prior to the switch.